thinking about the future

chan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2004
    Okay, so I know Im probably asking this question way too far in advance, but here it goes.

I am applying to P.A. school this year (sending out my apps in Aug). I have worked at a hospital for the last year or so. During that time I have been able to meet a cardio surgical P.A. He pretty much sold me on the work he does. So, my question is.... I know you dont have to through a surgical residency to be a surgical P.A. (however it does help). If I attend (hopefully Ill get accepted) to a school like Stanford, or Charles Drew University where they dont offer Masters Degrees for completion of the P.A. program, will this inhibit my chances of being accepted into a surgical residency, because of the fact that I will only have a P.A.-certification and not certification with a masters degree.

Thanks, Chan

Emedpa

Global Doc (DHSc)
    Aug 26, 2001
    Taking an Away team....
    1. Post Doc
      chan said:
      Okay, so I know Im probably asking this question way too far in advance, but here it goes.

I am applying to P.A. school this year (sending out my apps in Aug). I have worked at a hospital for the last year or so. During that time I have been able to meet a cardio surgical P.A. He pretty much sold me on the work he does. So, my question is.... I know you dont have to through a surgical residency to be a surgical P.A. (however it does help). If I attend (hopefully Ill get accepted) to a school like Stanford, or Charles Drew University where they dont offer Masters Degrees for completion of the P.A. program, will this inhibit my chances of being accepted into a surgical residency, because of the fact that I will only have a P.A.-certification and not certification with a masters degree.

Thanks, Chan

you won't have any problems getting a residency based on the type of degree you get from pa school, you just need to pass your boards.

Jengirl18

10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Mar 18, 2005
      FL
        There are also two types of surgical residency programs. Those that are academic-centered and those that arent. Both offer pay, benefits, and around the same hours/week I believe, but the academic-centered residencies you get a degree (usually Masters) at the end and include classroom work, and the other type you get a certificate. Since Residencies are not accredited yet, there are no standards set..we will see what happens in the future.

RAMPA

Pimpiro
        7+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        May 7, 2005
        Milwaukee
        1. Non-Student
          chan said:

Thanks, Chan

if u've only worked at a hospital for less than a yr, then Stanford is outta the question. they take applicants with SIGNIFICANT medical experience. many are RN, EMTP, RT, etc with many YEARS of experience.

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.