thinking about the future

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I know Im probably asking this question way too far in advance, but here it goes.

I am applying to P.A. school this year (sending out my apps in Aug). I have worked at a hospital for the last year or so. During that time I have been able to meet a cardio surgical P.A. He pretty much sold me on the work he does. So, my question is.... I know you dont have to through a surgical residency to be a surgical P.A. (however it does help). If I attend (hopefully Ill get accepted) to a school like Stanford, or Charles Drew University where they dont offer Masters Degrees for completion of the P.A. program, will this inhibit my chances of being accepted into a surgical residency, because of the fact that I will only have a P.A.-certification and not certification with a masters degree.

Thanks, Chan

Members don't see this ad.

chan said:
Okay, so I know Im probably asking this question way too far in advance, but here it goes.

I am applying to P.A. school this year (sending out my apps in Aug). I have worked at a hospital for the last year or so. During that time I have been able to meet a cardio surgical P.A. He pretty much sold me on the work he does. So, my question is.... I know you dont have to through a surgical residency to be a surgical P.A. (however it does help). If I attend (hopefully Ill get accepted) to a school like Stanford, or Charles Drew University where they dont offer Masters Degrees for completion of the P.A. program, will this inhibit my chances of being accepted into a surgical residency, because of the fact that I will only have a P.A.-certification and not certification with a masters degree.

Thanks, Chan

you won't have any problems getting a residency based on the type of degree you get from pa school, you just need to pass your boards.

There are also two types of surgical residency programs. Those that are academic-centered and those that arent. Both offer pay, benefits, and around the same hours/week I believe, but the academic-centered residencies you get a degree (usually Masters) at the end and include classroom work, and the other type you get a certificate. Since Residencies are not accredited yet, there are no standards set..we will see what happens in the future.

chan said:

Thanks, Chan

if u've only worked at a hospital for less than a yr, then Stanford is outta the question. they take applicants with SIGNIFICANT medical experience. many are RN, EMTP, RT, etc with many YEARS of experience.