Thinking of delaying a year to enter a school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dngk5119

OptMed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm in deferment right now. I was accepted for c/o 2015 and will be starting next fall in the c/o 2016.

Ok, I guess you must've contacted the school. Was there any fee or anything?

I'm in deferment right now. I was accepted for c/o 2015 and will be starting next fall in the c/o 2016.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just the $500 deposit I had initially paid to reserve my seat. It will depend 100% on the school. I wouldn't take it to the bank that every school would do that.

Get accepted and then go from there.

Just the $500 deposit I had initially paid to reserve my seat. It will depend 100% on the school. I wouldn't take it to the bank that every school would do that.

Sorry, I'm a little confused. When you say "it will depend on 100% on the school", do you mean they might not allow me to defer for a year?

Sorry, I'm a little confused. When you say "it will depend on 100% on the school", do you mean they might not allow me to defer for a year?

Some will, some might not. What do you have to gain by waiting?

Probably, I'll get in the school b/c my stats are fairly good.

Famous last words. Watch out. The admissions process is unpredictable, and nothing is a guarantee.

Third cycle for me, my friend. Focus all of your thoughts and efforts right now on getting that one acceptance. Don't worry about anything else until then.

Good Luck.

-P

So you chose Optometry over Medicine?

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

So you chose Optometry over Medicine?
I'm still on the fence about it.

Famous last words. Watch out. The admissions process is unpredictable, and nothing is a guarantee.

Third cycle for me, my friend. Focus all of your thoughts and efforts right now on getting that one acceptance. Don't worry about anything else until then.

Good Luck.

-P

Seriously? Dang...give me some of that dedication. I had to defer my OD acceptance for family reasons and decided to apply to medical school and took the MCAT without studying for it(since my primary apps would be free, yay for poverty!). I decided that the optometry app process was FAR less stressful.

Last edited:

The only people with a say in it is the school...thus 100% their choice if you can defer. Doesn't matter how much you want to, if they won't let you then you're hosed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation above (and for the PM). I was making the assumption that the acceptance you were holding/considering was for a D.O. program.

I can promise you that an SMP/post-bac will be miserable, especially with family and financial obligations. You can check out my MDApps for detail on me, but I was fully prepared for a post-bac. Money is not an issue, I am young, and I have no job/dependents/physical limitations. I am still getting shellacked in this program. It is more competitive than a Roman ludus, and there is no margin for error.

Based on my experience, I wouldn't recommend an SMP or post-bac. They come with no guarantee. If you have an acceptance--run with it.

-P

It would definitely be refreshing to see what your decision will be.

I too am undecided about Optometry but am leaning more towards it than other professions for man reasons.
Man reasons? Hahah...best typo I've seen in a while.

My reasons for not going to medical school are the amount of time it would take me to get in and finish. As things are looking now I'd have to do an SMP or Masters to get them to even look at me. I'm 24 now and my wife and I are expecting a son in January. That means that he would be anywhere from 10-14 years old by the time I finished getting into school/school/residency.

This year off has been great for me b/c I have been working full-time...and it sucks worse than getting locked in a room with a honey badger. I have a B.S. in Physiology, but that is totally worthless. So I make $11/hour supervising a bunch of idiots. Rest of my life? Hell no! I'd rather work commercial than work this gig forever, even though my manager says I'm up for promotion soon. $1 raise! That almost takes me above the poverty line!

I have been really able to evaluate my career and life goals and the longer I am stuck talking to idiot about their alarm system the more I realize I'd rather be stuck talking with idiots about why their Walmart glasses aren't working. At least one pays more...though I'm not sure which. :)