NEED ADVICE: Re-thinkning Optometry in the homestretch!

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pi_lover

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been working towards Optometry since I was in Jr. High. I knew I wanted to do heathcare, and then quickly did the math and realized that medical school was a ridiculous amount of time, as well as their particular lifestyle being so demanding (especially for a woman). I don't like feet, animals, or retail pharmacy so podiatry, veterinary medicine & pharmacy were out of the question. Needless to say, I honed in on Optometry in my early years. I'm a math major with an emphasis in biology with two years of Alzheimer research with a professor. Now that I've been offered an interview (it doesn't matter where guys, just stay with me because I really need advice) I'm second guessing my every move. I mean, being in $300k in debt and then four more grueling years of school isn't sounding very appealing to me. I really am interested in going into academia, possibly even teaching Optometry school at one point, but now I'm thinking why not just go straight into teaching and say "sayonara" to having the two letters behind my name? Of course the money matters, but I'm not just chasing after a paycheck because if I'm happy with what I'm doing, then money isn't an issue.
Is this just nerves getting to me? Has/does anyone else had/have these thoughts? They're terrifying and I don't want to get a year into school and go "oh shoot I don't even like this". Anything helps, and if you're just going to reply about my stats or OAT or what schools, etc, please don't because that's irrelevant.

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't love it, don't do it. Research/shadow and know what you're getting yourself into!

So I have been working towards Optometry since I was in Jr. High. I knew I wanted to do heathcare, and then quickly did the math and realized that medical school was a ridiculous amount of time, as well as their particular lifestyle being so demanding (especially for a woman). I don't like feet, animals, or retail pharmacy so podiatry, veterinary medicine & pharmacy were out of the question. Needless to say, I honed in on Optometry in my early years. I'm a math major with an emphasis in biology with two years of Alzheimer research with a professor. Now that I've been offered an interview (it doesn't matter where guys, just stay with me because I really need advice) I'm second guessing my every move. I mean, being in $300k in debt and then four more grueling years of school isn't sounding very appealing to me. I really am interested in going into academia, possibly even teaching Optometry school at one point, but now I'm thinking why not just go straight into teaching and say "sayonara" to having the two letters behind my name? Of course the money matters, but I'm not just chasing after a paycheck because if I'm happy with what I'm doing, then money isn't an issue.
Is this just nerves getting to me? Has/does anyone else had/have these thoughts? They're terrifying and I don't want to get a year into school and go "oh shoot I don't even like this". Anything helps, and if you're just going to reply about my stats or OAT or what schools, etc, please don't because that's irrelevant.

The number of careers you should be willing to put yourself into $300,000 worth of debt for is microscopically small and I can assure you that optometry is NOT one of them. Especially if you plan on pursuing academia. Do not put yourself $300,000 into debt.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Get some experience and put yourself in the profession's shoes. I went through the same dilemma as you as I was finishing undergrad. I majored in English and minored in Bio, and as graduation neared and my Optomcas was getting complete, I started getting cold feet and applied for a couple full-time marketing jobs and even considered taking the LSAT for law school.

I ended up getting a job at an optometry practice and that pretty much solidified it for me. Yes, school is hard and four years seems like a long time. But the profession fits into my idealized lifestyle that it's so worth it. The scope of optometry is incredible, doctors usually have great hours that allow for starting a family and don't require being "on call" an absurd amount of time, the pay is very good and, though it may sound superficial, the prestige of being a doctor is very appealing.

If you haven't shadowed, definitely do that. And make sure you shadow a couple different types of practices (private, commercial, OD/MD if possible) so you can get a good idea of all that optometry has to offer. If the debt is a really big factor for you, keep in mind that some schools offer scholarships for out of state students, and outside scholarships can always be applied for.

As far as academia goes, almost every single one of my professors is an OD with clinic hours and teaching hours. You can remain in academia while still being a clinician!

Ultimately it's up to the lifestyle you see fit for yourself. Just because optometry school was absolutely the right choice for me doesn't mean it will be a perfect fit for you; but know that it's totally natural to have the nerves and second-thoughts you're experiencing. I'm happy to answer any other questions you have!

Reactions: 2 users
Shadow shadow shadow! And also talk to professors (not sure what kind of academia you're talking about, in terms of going straight into teaching) and see if that career path sounds better for you. Also, it's unclear whether you're already $300K in debt or you think optometry school will give you $300K in debt (I don't believe the latter is true, I'd say $250K is a more accurate estimate). If, after shadowing/conversations with optometrists and academia-persons, you still think optometry is your best choice, I think the 4 years of schooling wouldn't be a terrible sacrifice, especially if you can find a way to lower your debt burden. Good luck!

One good thing about your teaching interests is that with all the new schools, finding a faculty appointment somewhere shouldn't be too hard with some basic qualifications.

Perhaps a PhD in vision science would be better for you. They would pay you to attend school and you could still teach when you are finished.