Thinking of moving to SoCal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schrodingerr

VMCRVM c/o 2015!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm thinking of moving to LA/socal area if I don't get into vet school this cycle. A bunch of family/friends live there, including both of my brothers and my SO, plus I just love cali. I'd reapply of course but I'd like to be improving my application also. I may be getting a bit ahead of myself but I would really appreciate some insight on what it has to offer in terms of veterinary/animal experience outside of animal shelters and small animal clinics from any prevets that live/have lived there

Thanks!!:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey!

I've lived in SoCal my whole life and there are a bunch of opportunities besides your basic vet clinics and animal shelters. My primary interest is wildlife med and there are quite a few wildlife centers around here including the Wildlife Way Station, California Wildlife Center, and Marine Mammal Care Center, all of which take volunteers. You can also volunteer at the LA Zoo and take animal trainer courses I think (though I haven't thoroughly explored this).

Edit: Plus, think about all the awesome opportunities to have FUN here. I don't know where you are coming from, but we've got beaches galore, beautiful deserts, mountains, and mud caves. :)

Last edited:
Awesome! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this cycle but just in case. I constantly day-dream about leaving dreary DC for sunny LA. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just remember LA is a super expensive city to live in (I would suggest San Diego as a beautiful, cheaper option), driving around is a nightmare most of the time (kind of like DC in rush hour but all the time), there is no public transportation, the people are just unbelievably shallow and vain, and when the weather is crap you really question why the hell you are there.

If you choose to live in the valley to save money you will have to deal with the mega-hot summers...

It is no panacea, it can be a bit of a shock if you are expecting paradise. I equally miss some parts and am so happy to be away of others.

Just remember LA is a super expensive city to live in (I would suggest San Diego as a beautiful, cheaper option), driving around is a nightmare most of the time (kind of like DC in rush hour but all the time), there is no public transportation, the people are just unbelievably shallow and vain, and when the weather is crap you really question why the hell you are there.

If you choose to live in the valley to save money you will have to deal with the mega-hot summers...

It is no panacea, it can be a bit of a shock if you are expecting paradise. I equally miss some parts and am so happy to be away of others.

On the net the people that I have met in L.A have been incredibly friendly and laid back, some of the shallow/vain types so I know what you mean but I think bc it's such a large city it all depends on where you go. I've been there ~10x to see my family/SO, maybe that would change if I actually lived there. And I've found that the biggest difference in terms of cost from DC to LA is that in LA you have to pay for parking everywhere! Otherwise it's fairly comparable and I'd move in with one of my brothers so I wouldn't have to worry about rent or anything (spoiled I know)

I feel lucky to have been exposed to some of L.A's underground music scene due to my SO being in music production and I have to say it poops on anything DC has to offer. And through that we've created a little family of sorts. We'll see what happens.

I do appreciate the insight. I have never been to SD, and am scheduled to be in LA in January so a drive down(/up?) might be in order :]

Bonaparte's suggestions are all excellent ideas. I spent a good period of my life as a volunteer in husbandry at the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, which was a wonderful experience. They're very open to taking new volunteers and interns, so I'd definitely give that place a look as well. You could also inquire with the universities to see if their veterinarians are open to working with you -- chances are they would be. LA is such a massive city that you'll certainly find something of interest.

Not all parts of LA are expensive, either. My living situation is quite cheap but I also have to deal with a bit of traffic since I live a little outside the areas that I spend most of my time. If you'd like more specific information, I'd be glad to help -- just shoot me a PM.

Hey!

I've lived in SoCal my whole life and there are a bunch of opportunities besides your basic vet clinics and animal shelters. My primary interest is wildlife med and there are quite a few wildlife centers around here including the Wildlife Way Station, California Wildlife Center, and Marine Mammal Care Center, all of which take volunteers. You can also volunteer at the LA Zoo and take animal trainer courses I think (though I haven't thoroughly explored this).

Edit: Plus, think about all the awesome opportunities to have FUN here. I don't know where you are coming from, but we've got beaches galore, beautiful deserts, mountains, and mud caves. :)

MMCC is the place to be and they'll certainly be looking for help come February. :)

(I would suggest San Diego as a beautiful, cheaper option)

San Diego is DEFINITELY not cheap (unless you're living right down near the border, which may not be quite what you're looking for.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! It's looking a lot more promising now :)