Thinking of quitting residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You're quitting because 1 preceptor out of (unknown amount) doesn't like you? Please tell me that's not your number one reason for quitting.
Please know the decision was based off of many different factors. This program is not one that helps you grow, and I'm definitely feeling physically depressed from day in/day out abuse. Unfortunately, the preceptor I've irked is one of the key preceptors who provides a majority of the feedback during the year. I truly believe I'm making the best decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Did the preceptor give you feedback on what you need to improve upon? Did you take the advice into consideration and try to improve? I've dealt with some bad residents, but it is not my goal to not pass someone. I want everyone to pass, but I also want them to grow as a professional. Maybe set up weekly meetings with your RPD to get your progress back on track.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did the preceptor give you feedback on what you need to improve upon? Did you take the advice into consideration and try to improve? I've dealt with some bad residents, but it is not my goal to not pass someone. I want everyone to pass, but I also want them to grow as a professional. Maybe set up weekly meetings with your RPD to get your progress back on track.
The preceptor's eval basically says "you suck as a pharmacist." I won't post anything from the eval on here, but it truly had nothing positive or constructive.

Some situations are toxic enough that nothing can be done to fix them. OP, if you are satisfied that you've done everything reasonable to fix the situation, to no avail, then I would agree your best bet is to move on and not lose any more sanity there.

Reactions: 6 users
It's interesting how in one thread we cheer on the retail floater who quit by not showing up for their shift, yet in here we make the resident leaving their (seemingly) toxic work environment out to be the lesser professional...

Reactions: 3 users
It's interesting how in one thread we cheer on the retail floater who quit by not showing up for their shift, yet in here we make the resident leaving their (seemingly) toxic work environment out to be the lesser professional...
I think you misread the tone of most people in that other thread.

We are trying to get more info. The OP was complaining about getting a "needs improvement" on an eval. I gave a bunch of "need improvement" and have gotten some myself during residency. I don't think that is a big deal.

The "Needs Improvement" part wasn't nearly as bad as the persistent targeted negative feedback, verbal and written, that doesn't line up with what the other residents receive, despite similar performance. This isn't perceived by just myself. I received an eval with zero constructive criticism. It was essentially a bulleted list of what I'd "done wrong" during the course of the rotation. I have to work with this preceptor a lot outside of my rotation, so this is going to be a year-long battle to fight.

It sounds like you've made your decision. None of us are in your shoes, so can't say how bad it is or isn't. We just want to make sure you are looking at things objectively. Good luck to you.

If you want to PM me with more specifics, feel free.

Seriously PharmyOfNone, send me a PM with the exact reviews you're receiving. You will remain anonymous, I'm just curious to see how bad it is.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Saw an example of OP's eval...nothing useful in there - just a list of potential mistakes, some didn't make sense.

Did you quit?

Is there an update to this? Whatever you do, I hope for the best.

I'm willing to give it another chance since they've made some changes to the program based on my feedback (others in the program had similar feedback). This program has some real growing pains yet to go through, and part of me thinks it shouldn't be accredited, but I haven't taken the time to research ASHP's criteria.

Saw an example of OP's eval...nothing useful in there - just a list of potential mistakes, some didn't make sense.
The written feedback was bad. The verbal feedback was awful. Awful enough that when I think of the insults hurled my direction, the urge to leave the program comes back strong.

The written feedback was bad. The verbal feedback was awful. Awful enough that when I think of the insults hurled my direction, the urge to leave the program comes back strong.

The comment about insults does make it sound like a toxic work environment. But...you're almost half-way, if that makes you feel any better!

Good luck to you whether you ultimately stay or go.

An insult of this nature sounds more like an attempt to bully you rather than provide constructive feedback. In my experiences going back to grade school, standing up to a bully (in a professional way in this case), in the ONLY way to earn the respect if your preceptors/colleagues.

The exception to this is if this persons speaks this way to everyone, then you know it's not you, it's just how they are. But if you are the only one this persons speaks to in this manner, then continuing to allow them to verbally abuse you will not only not improve your situation EVER, it will only get worse.

An insult of this nature sounds more like an attempt to bully you rather than provide constructive feedback. In my experiences going back to grade school, standing up to a bully (in a professional way in this case), in the ONLY way to earn the respect if your preceptors/colleagues.
I have stood up to him, but this is still a learning environment where I am not put on the same level standing as a preceptor. When someone is a bully while being a supervisor, and the work climate condones it, no amount of "standing up to him" is going to change things. That's when you pull the cord on your parachute.

I have stood up to him, but this is still a learning environment where I am not put on the same level standing as a preceptor. When someone is a bully while being a supervisor, and the work climate condones it, no amount of "standing up to him" is going to change things. That's when you pull the cord on your parachute.

I couldn't agree more. When someone bullies their subordinate, there is no good outcome. Even if you stand up to them, they will be unhappy because they wanted you to just take it. If you do just take it, then it will just get worse. I think bullying of residents is fairly common and pretty serious but ignored.

Reactions: 2 users
I couldn't agree more. When someone bullies their subordinate, there is no good outcome. Even if you stand up to them, they will be unhappy because they wanted you to just take it. If you do just take it, then it will just get worse. I think bullying of residents is fairly common and pretty serious but ignored.

I've got a career FULL of working with/for bullies. Deal now, deal later, but sooner or later you WILL have to deal with it.

I've got a career FULL of working with/for bullies. Deal now, deal later, but sooner or later you WILL have to deal with it.

As a general rule I completely agree. I have dealt with bullies in the workplace in other jobs and handled it just fine. However as a resident you have NO power. You are lower than a student in many ways. You have no protection. If you try to stand up to them they can easily force you out and you won't get your certificate. They can ruin your career. When you are a full employee, not a resident, you have much more power and protection from HR.

As a resident, HR does not give a crap about you. If you make too big of a stink about it they will get rid of you.

As a resident, HR does not give a crap about you. If you make too big of a stink about it they will get rid of you.

HR has NEVER been concerned about ANY employees EVER no matter what your status is.

HR has NEVER been concerned about ANY employees EVER no matter what your status is.

You are right. But they care enough to not get sued. If you are a resident they know you are under their thumb and cannot do anything without risking your certificate. As a full employee you can file a complaint of workplace harassment with much less risk. So you lose your job, so what. You can get another one. You can't get another residency most likely.

As a full employee you can file a complaint of workplace harassment with much less risk. So you lose your job, so what. You can get another one. You can't get another residency most likely.

I don't know if you've every known anyone that had to file charges against their employer or how much real life work experience you have (no offense), but I know someone VERY well who had to resort to filing charges against their employer with a major federal agency's involvement and it cost them their job anyway. Yes, they eventually got a settlement but the stress of it all was insane. And it becomes public record too, so the "you lose your job, so what" becomes "guess what we learned about you when doing a background investigation" for your next job. NOT a good situation.

These days when there are FAR more applicants than jobs including competition from international applicants, employers do whatever they want to no matter what your status is, and they dare you to do anything about it. So being a regular employee doesn't mean squat when the people you work with hate your guts and want you out.

Are you going to send me the written evaluation so I can judge it?

Incidentally, during the course of my soul searching on this topic, I discovered that quite a few residents have quit around the country (and several were in the process of looking for other employment so they could make the leap).

It's not always the resident that's the problem...

Reactions: 4 users