Thinking of re-applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phinee16

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey - I was just wondering if people can help me to figure out my chances at re-applying.

I applied for 2007 and I got waitlisted at 2 schools and was rejected after.

I'm thinking about re-applying for 2009. I am currently working in a doctor's office doing medical assisting stuff.

What should I be doing now to increase my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Did you receive any feedback from the schools that you were waitlisted at? If so, take their advice over mine.

I would suggest reworking your AMCAS and secondary applications. I'm in the same boat as you (3.89 GPA, 30 composite MCAT), and was waitlisted at a couple of schools. I asked for feedback on my application, and they told me that I should develop my primary and secondary application more. I did that, and received lots of praise this year when I went to interview.

For me specifically, they also said they'd like to see more time spent in a hospital (I've worked as a firefighter for the last few years), so I quit my job and went to work for a hospital.

Also, make sure you're taking at least a class or two. They like to see that you're still interested in learning and not getting lazy.

Really, overall, they're going to be concerned with what you've done since you last applied, and how you've improved yourself as an applicant. Make sure you can justify the time you've taken off, and how you're improving yourself as a person/applicant, and you'll be just fine.

Hey - I was just wondering if people can help me to figure out my chances at re-applying.

What should I be doing now to increase my chances?

You should absolutely reapply. Do what you can to improve your application, but the biggest thing you can do is apply early. I know it seems really arbitrary, but unless you are a rockstar you really need to get all your secondaries in by August or September or you are fighting over the few remaining seats.

If you got any interviews at all, that's a great start! Good luck!

Definitely reapply!

Your'e already way ahead of the game as far as clinical experience goes.

If you received any feedback from the schools you were previously waitlisted at, definitely work on addressing their concerns.

Otherwise, it seems to me your weakness lies in your numbers (as you are well aware). So, to bring those up, you have a few options. For your MCAT, can you afford to either a) take a class, or b) really devote the time and energy you need to to do well? And have you taken the computer-based one before? Maybe you'll score differently; the test is significantly shorter. With regards to your GPA, it's definitely alright, but if you wanted to improve it, you could take an upper level biology class on the side like the previous poster said, or you could take a year, do an SMP, and earn a Master's to strengthen your app.

Since you've already been waitlisted at two schools previously, you are already a strong enough applicant to get invited to interview. The biggie is they want to know what you've done since you last applied to improve your application.

Best of luck!