Thinking of rejecting Case and Rochester interviews after UTSW acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BNSN

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My interests are in molecular psychiatry (depression and schizophrenia), and UTSW (which I just got into about 20 minutes ago!) just seems to have a better program than Case and Rochester in these areas.

Does anyone disagree? Would Case or Rochester be better than UTSW?

I am hoping someone else can get these interview spots because they are in mid February.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh no! I did not receive a phone call! I am so disappointed! I hadn't decided between UT-SW and another school for my top choice, so I did not let them know it was at the top of my list :-(

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, i didn't hear anything either. =( BNSN, can you please share if you got the news through email or phone? Also, do you think they'll be accepting more ppl?!

THANKS! =)

Guys, it's not over until we get the rejection letters. They are giving out acceptances by phone, so it's possible that the Dean doesn't make ~30 straight calls.

Sorry to derail your thread BNSN, and congrats again.

Hi, all. Thank you for your kind words.

The news was passed onto me by phone. I got a call from Dr. Zinn. As to whether more people will be accepted, I honestly cannot speak to that. It is entirely possible that calls are sent out over a course of two days, not one. But I cannot confirm that for certain.

I sincerely hope it works out for all of us.

Can't really speak to the molecular psychiatry at the UofR, but I do know that life in Rochester rocks. The housing is VERY cheap for a city (I rent an entire 3 bedroom 1.5 bath house a 10 minute walk from the hospital for only $800 a month). So you could totally afford a mortgage here. Also, the hospital is very self-contained, which I like (I'm not a huge fan of going from building to building). There is a lot of theatre in Rochester, and some good nightlife if you know where to look. I love living in Rochester and will miss it a lot when I leave. It's not a huge city, but it has everything you could ever need. And summer is BEAUTIFUL here, even if winter is kind of sucky if you're not used to snow and cold.

Hi,
I just received an acceptance call from Dr Zinn this morning! So yes, more calls are made today! Good luck for all of you!

Has anyone else heard anything from UT-SW? At the interview Dr. Zinn said everyone that did not receive automatic acceptances will be put on a waitlist. Has anyone heard anything about this?

howdy all... first post! just wanted to say that i've also been accepted to the utsw program and am 99% sure i'll be going. found out the friday following my 1/9 interview.

very excited! it's a kick-butt school with righteous biophysics and biochem departments.

to provide some input for the OP: i think utsw is generally ranked pretty high in neuroscience by science watch (i.e. how often papers from the dept are cited) and personally i think thats one of the best metrics of a strong research department.

Last edited:
UT Southwestern has a new chair of neuroscience:

Joseph Takahashi, formerly at Northwestern

They are also looking to expand their faculty- they are actually have a symposium this week where potential faculty are going to be giving short talks.