Thinking of throwing in the towel...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moca83

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
...and applying to SGU. :( I'm a nervous wreck and don't think I will be accepted this cycle with my stats:
3.65c
3.50s
7/7/9 P MCAT
Great ECs, LORs, etc
Applied to Pikeville, LMU, OU, LECOM-Erie, WCU, WVSOM, VCOM, and RVU.

I'm 27 and can't stand the thought of waiting another year to reapply. Any advice, thoughts, etc? :confused:

I'm not familiar with Carribean very much but apply to SGU at the same time if you want to cover all your bases? I mean, your stats are great except for the MCAT. I'd say you still have a chance at a DO school. I'm 26 so I know how you feel, but really, 1 year isn't that much difference out of a ~30 year career as a physician. Read the SGU vs DO thread and you'll see what kind of challenges you'll face later if you do go the SGU route.

...and applying to SGU. :( I'm a nervous wreck and don't think I will be accepted this cycle with my stats:
3.65c
3.50s
7/7/9 P MCAT
Great ECs, LORs, etc

I'm 27 and can't stand the thought of waiting another year to reapply. Any advice, thoughts, etc? :confused:

Your stats look just fine to me? MCAT is a little low but isn't the average MCAT at DO schools 26 or 27?

Members don't see this ad :)
Figure out what you did wrong and study like a maniac to retake the MCAT and reapply next year.

There is a correlation between passing the boards and MCAT that levels off in the upper 20's (27ish I think) and getting a good USMLE score is one of the most important things needed to get a residency from an offshore school.

You have a solid gpa and other stuff from what you tell us but lack a decent MCAT. If you can't figure out how to critically think to master this test the USMLE may destroy you, and then you will be 200k in debt. Figure it out now and apply in 10 months, if you can't figure out how to get a 27+ then proceed at your own risk to the Caribbean.

From what I understand the Caribbean works best for those who have insurmountable gpa baggage or something like that. They have recent great grades/MCAT but were lazy/foolish/other etc. earlier and the anchor is too great for US med schools to see past. These people would do well in a US school but weren't given a chance, so they will do very well in the less competitive Carribean (low MCAT, low grade people on avg) and that will give them a solid shot at a US residency.

3.65c
3.50s
7/7/9 P MCAT
Great ECs, LORs, etc

if you are going to go for SGU you might as well just add all the other D.O. schools to your app just in case one of them will overlook the mcat (I'm assuming if you have trouble it would be because of the 7's).

Applying is such a crazy process, a school that you think you didn't have a chance at might like you based on a certain EC or LOR.

if you are going to go for SGU you might as well just add all the other D.O. schools to your app just in case one of them will overlook the mcat (I'm assuming if you have trouble it would be because of the 7's).

Applying is such a crazy process, a school that you think you didn't have a chance at might like you based on a certain EC or LOR.

I agree... I would throw in every school as well! Maybe leave out MSU because that secondary is just a pain

I think the rest of your application is great except for the MCAT. I think you should retake the MCAT only because those 7's might hurt you. Don't give up hope!

I think the rest of your application is great except for the MCAT. I think you should retake the MCAT only because those 7's might hurt you. Don't give up hope!

yah i wanna say I read somewhere that some schools screen out apps that have anything below an 8 in a section, but I'm not sure if that is true

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I will retake...I just got crushed the last time I studied for it. I put a lot of effort into it only to score several points below my averages. I guess the thought of having to wait another year is borderline torture. :(

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I will retake...I just got crushed the last time I studied for it. I put a lot of effort into it only to score several points below my averages. I guess the thought of having to wait another year is borderline torture. :(

To be fair, I think the practice tests are easier in general for most people. The real thing has been killing people the last two years as it's been getting harder (from what I've seen and talked to people). Is it a timing issue, misunderstanding of questions, or just not knowing the information?

Don't know if this has to be said, but never retake practice full-length exams. Find new fresh ones from wherever you can.

yah i wanna say I read somewhere that some schools screen out apps that have anything below an 8 in a section, but I'm not sure if that is true

Yes, that is true at some schools.

But, to give OP some hope, some schools take a different approach to screening and don't screen by MCAT sub-section score directly.

I'd tell you to just go for it at the islands. If you are fully aware of the risks there and the need to be *the best* or else risk losing it all... then dont keep waiting around. Get your degree and get on with you life.

Caribbean isnt the end of the world. Its just a gamble. People can win gambles. Obviously the above advice is good too (apply *everywhere*) but at a certain point you need to stop waiting around and either go for it or give up the dream. but be fully aware of the risks of it all first. Its like investing. Risk analysis.

From what I understand the Caribbean works best for those who have insurmountable gpa baggage or something like that. They have recent great grades/MCAT but were lazy/foolish/other etc. earlier and the anchor is too great for US med schools to see past. These people would do well in a US school but weren't given a chance, so they will do very well in the less competitive Carribean (low MCAT, low grade people on avg) and that will give them a solid shot at a US residency.
wow. couldn't have said it better myself

You're not willing to retake the MCAT again?

Should apply to more campuses than that. LECOM-B, PCOM-GA, TUCOM-NV, come to mind.

Honestly, you're on the fence. You could either get in or not. Going to the Caribbean is not advisable, but if you're willing to throw in the towel, SGU should be no problem securing.