Thinking of transfering from Scholl?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podsoon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a first year st Scholl and I am thinking of transferring. The school isn't what it is cracked up to be at all. You would think that since they are connected to an Medical School, there would be more opportunities but that is simply not the case. In fact, there are more and more infighting for classes and grades.

Also I hated how the Admin. seems to care so much when they are convincing you to come to their school but once the deposit is in, they seem to care less. Seems like they are spending all their time and energy to recruit the next class instead of caring about their current class.

So what options do I have of transferring? There is a group of us that are thinking of doing so. We all have good grades, so that is not the issue, the issue is this school just seems like a money machine eating you alive without giving anything back.

Members don't see this ad.

1. This thread is hilarious

2. Anyone who interviewed at OCPM would prbobably make the same statement regarding driving (OCPM is in the burbs). Doesn't mean they are trolling.

3. I promise I'm not podsoon (I know Ankle Breaker thought it :laugh:)

4. This thread is hilarious

Why are you trolling?

In this post you talk about commuting to and from OCPM: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=10385789&postcount=23

I can assure you I am not trolling. I used OCPM as an example to compare to NYCPM. I never said I personally commuted from and to OCPM. I lived in Cleveland for a while so I know the area that was why I used OCPM commute by car vs NYCPM commute by subway or bus.

I understand your loyalty toward Scholl but then aren't you one of the class officers who is also in charge of PR for the school? You have to admit, Scholl was not what they cracked up to be when I was gven the grand tour and interview. I choose POD as a first choice, my gpa and mcat was good enough to be competitive at MD programs but I have always liked POD. I guess if I was doing pod as a fallback, I should be glad with what I got but I just can't help thinking we got the short end of the stick at Scholl compared to the MD students.

p.s. I am not saying POD is your fallback and that is why you are happy with Scholl. I am talking about Scholl, not the profession, which I still love. I just wish schools were more regulated. I keep feeling like Scholl is a business, and yes I underestand, all schools these days are a business, but Scholl feels like... one of those restaurants with a beach-view in Miami with 40 dollar steaks that are overcooked and disgusting and they are merely riding on the coat-tail of that oceanside beach view. Know what I mean?

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I here every school attached to medical medicince school are ****ty. You are merly added on to the med school class and the staff dont give a ****ning **** about the students. I here this about all the schools attached to medical schools

Hope you figure out what you want to do at school

With Love,

-Gimli, Son of Gloin, Son of Groin, Son of Farin, Son of Borin, Son of Durin

I said nothing negative about Scholl, just found the thread funny. If anything I only gave my 1 cent.

If you promise to put me in one of your blog posts I will never say anything bad about Scholl ever again...ever

[edit] you could call it 20 questions with dtrack...people would love it

You know for the first month or two I also felt like the administration did not really care about us and we were sort of put in the back burner to the med students but after giving suggestions to our curriculum liaison, speaking with students in our class, and the curriculum meeting with Dr. Bariether, Becker, Intine, and Dean Albright...I have felt a lot better with the administration.

1) No curriculum or school is perfect and with the new curriculum, things are still a working progress. I have talked to the P2s and P3s and the curriculum has changed based on the feedback from the students. They moved pod med and surg to start months sooner to lessen the burden in the spring. They have modified the test schedule to try and spread things out a bit better. But these changes occurred after the fact. You can't expect a curriculum change to occur mid year...and you can't expect a change to happen just because you think it's the best decision. There are 90+ people in our class...it's hard for the administration to please everyone.

2) What routes have you taken to express your dissatisfaction? If you are unhappy with something, then speak up. Talk to the professors. If that isn't enough then keep going up higher and higher.

3) What were you expecting from the administration? Did you attend the curriculum meeting?

After attending the curriculum meeting, I felt much better about the administration. They laid everything out. They showed us how/why they constructed the curriculum the way they did and then they showed us what they have to take into account to schedule everything. They even welcomed suggestions. They also showed us the NBPME Part I and II pass rates for the past 13 years!

You are entitled to your own opinions and you don't have to explain yourself to an anonymous forum, but why did you even post this thread? Why didn't you just go to the administration and ask them how to transfer?

There are a couple things about the school I attend that I wish could be changed... but im sure most students at most schools feel the same way.

However... this thread seems to show up quite a bit. At least every 3 months or so. Havent figured it out yet.

Maybe scholl has more med/dental school rejects that choose podiatry as a last choice and are now unhappy? Maybe its the allopathic med school attached to Scholl?

I read on here somewhere that if you get denied from their med school you get a letter a few days later about their podiatry program (not sure if this is true or not, read it here on SDN)?

For the record, when I interviewed there the school seemed pretty stellar. One of the better schools I interviewed at.

I just can't help thinking we got the short end of the stick at Scholl compared to the MD students.

CMS tuition=45K/year. Exams every 3 weeks with 200+ questions spanning 4 or more subjects. Being graded on a curve....no thank you.

CMS is not perfect and neither is Scholl. If you really have problems with the school maybe you should do something about it rather than complain with your fellow classmates or on a message board. If you can't survive 4 months of this without %$^&@ing on a public forum, then how the hell are you going to make it through an externship or residency program that wasn't what you expected it to be. Are you going to try to transfer out of those too?

I never thought I would say this but airbud was right. A little life experience before graduate school goes a loooonnnng way.

Many Schools have their problems and weaknesses. I hear of students wanting to transfer schools on a monthly basis. I don't believe any of the schools easily allow students to transfer. Our school is going through the "New Dean" process and the curriculum is changing. We are not broadcasting our problems on forums, we just talk about it among our classmates. unfortunately, we have to be the students that have to deal with the changes being made now for the future students to benefit from. Just make sure you do your part and pass the boards and get into a great residency where you will develop your skills.
You brought up a good point though...Don't pick a Podiatry school based on the admissions committee and how nice they were because you will not deal with them anymore once you sign the contract. They are employed to get you in school and not to keep you in school. Look beyond them and into the Leadership of the school and the professors. Use these forums to ask current students about their experiences and have them give you strengths and weaknesses about their program. Use your interview time wisely and ask as many questions as you can to get a feel for the program and how issues are handled.

to the OP:

assuming your question is valid, your options are limited. I would talk to your dean and see what you can do, and talk to the school you want to transfer into.

If and when you have exhausted all other alternatives (i.e. some of the advice above) and you still are determined to transfer schools I would talk to the school you are interested in transferring to. Ask them if it is possible and what needs to be done.

In the meantime I would not let anyone else know that you are talking to other schools (especially the dean of your school). Just in case things don't work out between other schools, you don't want to be known by the faculty/students as "the student who hates it here and wanted to transfer but couldn't". When and if things have worked out with another school then I would approach the dean or whomever you need to complete the transfer.

I also agree with the above comments regarding admissions, it's their job to get you to like the school. To know if the school is a good fit for you, you need to do your homework.

Just a heads up, some schools will not offer a transfer because the classes you have taken will not match up with what the other concurrent students have taken. Then there are some who will accept a transfer no questions asked.

Can you elaborate what your GPA is and what you specifically don't like about Scholl?

I also attend Scholl (class of 2014) and I am one of those students who tends to complain about the curriculum, tests, faculty, etc. I also joke about transferring to other schools because of all the tests we have or how cold it is up here (Miami sounds pretty nice considering its about 20 degrees outside). However, I guarantee students at all 9 podiatry schools have individuals who complain. I mean honestly, who really enjoys studying for hours on end instead of doing other activities that you actually enjoy?

Truth be told. The reason why more students at Scholl are complaining about the school may be due to the fact of how demanding the curriculum truly is, especially with all of these new curriculum changes. I chose Scholl because in my opinion it is the best, however it also may the be the hardest which will cause students to constantly complain.

The grass is always greener.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with darazon...exhaust your options stated above of talking with your school about your issues. If they ignore you...likely...then talk with other schools and DON'T tell anyone at your school what ur doing. A close friend of mine was at odds with our faculty and transferred and He LOVES the new school. He did have to retake his first year but says it was worth it. Don't wait too long and stay miserable where u r. But DO realize most schools will talk a good talk but fall short on most things! The Deans are there to run a business and are not there to be your friend

I agree with darazon...exhaust your options stated above of talking with your school about your issues. If they ignore you...likely...then talk with other schools and DON'T tell anyone at your school what ur doing. A close friend of mine was at odds with our faculty and transferred and He LOVES the new school. He did have to retake his first year but says it was worth it. Don't wait too long and stay miserable where u r. But DO realize most schools will talk a good talk but fall short on most things! The Deans are there to run a business and are not there to be your friend

What school did he transfer to?

to the OP:

Now half way thru my 3rd year and dealing with the admin on a consistent basis, I can tell you that no school is perfect. I know people at each one of the schools and can tell you that no one is happy with their program. There has always been something in the past few years that they wished they could change. You just have to work/study to the best of your ability and get the most out of your studies/clinical rotations. If you have a problem take it to your student government or administration. I just had a meeting today with our dean to try and resolve an issue. You cannot be timid or complain without attempting to take action.

I know people at each one of the schools and can tell you that no one is happy with their program.

This is entirely inaccurate. I love DMU and am extremely happy with my choice. :thumbup:

yeah, i am only a lowly 2nd year, but i don't have a single complaint about DMU.

Oohhh...I wanna join in on the fun. I go to Scholl and I couldn't be happier.

let me clarify...no one (and in my previous post I was referring to the people that I know) is 100% happy with their program. If you are all 100% happy then that is great and I stand corrected, but when most students come to interview at schools they do not get an accurate representation of what the school is actually like. It is only once they have been there that they see how classes/professors really are, what clinics are like and how the admin is. My point to the OP is simply to not expect perfection from any school.

I go to Scholl and its pretty much the opposite of awesome. But thats only b/c of the extremely rigorous schedule.

I'm sure DMU is perfect tho.............

I go to Scholl and its pretty much the opposite of awesome. But thats only b/c of the extremely rigorous schedule.

I'm sure DMU is perfect tho.............

A rigorous curriculum is a good thing. The more difficult and well rounded the school, the better the doctors that come out of that school. Shocker, I know. :scared:

If pod med school was meant to be easy you wouldve been handed your doctorate when you were accepted. If you think youve got problems with a brutal schedule; wait until you start residency.

every school has problems .........

by transferring you might be setting yourself up for a disaster when its time to interview for residency

you will have to explain WHY you left Scholl .... as it is regarded as one of the more 'elite' institutions your going to have to be creative on how to sell your rationale

i never attended scholl so i dont know what your going through, trust me on this that every schools curriculum is demanding in a different way

some schools prepare externs excellently while others leave it to their students to figure it out for themselves

as having experience with working with externs from a multitude of institutions .... students from every school have their strength and weaknesses which vary greatly

Aren't all the Pod schools equally as rigorous? My hubby goes to NYCPM and he has two exams (either midterm or final) every week, along with a weekly quiz in one of his classes. It is brutal, but I thought all the other schools were just the same!

If pod med school was meant to be easy you wouldve been handed your doctorate when you were accepted. If you think youve got problems with a brutal schedule; wait until you start residency.

Then wait until you're in private practice and have to juggle all that life throws your way and earn a living, run a business and deal with insurance companies.

The beauty of school is you eventually get to leave it behind you. Same with residency to a certain extent, but the training you get in residency will define your career imho.

One of my mentors at Temple was Dr. Mike Downey (he's awesome btw) and he always said "School is the easy part". He had a knack for saying very profound things in very thought provoking ways. And, you know, he was 100% on the mark.

Aren't all the Pod schools equally as rigorous? My hubby goes to NYCPM and he has two exams (either midterm or final) every week, along with a weekly quiz in one of his classes. It is brutal, but I thought all the other schools were just the same!

Impossible to know. Nobody has gone through the 4 years at all of the different schools to be able to compare. Certain schools do have reputations, whether they be good or bad. Some of the schools share classes with DO students, whereas others do not. I think the difficulty of the curriculum can only be compared by the quality of the resident produced from that school, residency placement rates, and board pass rates.

every school has problems .........

by transferring you might be setting yourself up for a disaster when its time to interview for residency

you will have to explain WHY you left Scholl .... as it is regarded as one of the more 'elite' institutions your going to have to be creative on how to sell your rationale

i never attended scholl so i dont know what your going through, trust me on this that every schools curriculum is demanding in a different way

some schools prepare externs excellently while others leave it to their students to figure it out for themselves

as having experience with working with externs from a multitude of institutions .... students from every school have their strength and weaknesses which vary greatly

*You're

There's a quick way to lose friends.

Don't be THAT guy (or girl). What if mildoc's autocorrect on his phone gave him Bloemfontein when all he wanted to say was blow?? I've seen worse...

There's a quick way to lose friends.

Don't be THAT guy (or girl). What if mildoc's autocorrect on his phone gave him Bloemfontein when all he wanted to say was blow?? I've seen worse...

If every newspaper and magazine in this great nation of ours had THAT guy or gal, our country would be a more literate place. Kudos to the grammar police.

I didn't know SDN was a newspaper or magazine. Our neighbors to the north must have higher standards in their Internet message boards...this is just a message board right?

I didn't know SDN was a newspaper or magazine. Our neighbors to the north must have higher standards in their Internet message boards...this is just a message board right?

No it's not "just" a message board.

The World of Warcraft Forums are that way if you want "just" a message board ------>...

This is a place for educated professionals to exchange ideas. If our most educated citizens have no standards for grammar and spelling, what does that say about everyone else? I think I read somewhere that in the past a society was judged by its most educated. Maybe Ancient Rome or Greece? I don't remember.

Hold yourselves to the highest standards possible in everything you do. Please. You will be better for it and succeed beyond your expectations. I promise.

I know, I know, I'm taking this a little too seriously, BUT this is one thing that really irks me personally. "Alot" is not proper. It's "A lot"...two words. Irregardless is not a word. Just because these terms are becoming common place, doesn't mean they are the proper use of a very articulate language.

It's not because I'm Canadian that I take this seriously. I wasn't born in Canada. English is not my first language. Now I speak three languages fluently, and understand a half dozen others. I made a concerted effort to assimilate and that made me sensitive to these things as I was forced to learn even the most trivial things in language when I was young to be "accepted". Read the book "The Millionaire Next Door" and you will understand what I mean a little better. Sorry for the rant.

Edit: Fixed "Its" to "It's" as per a correction post.

Last edited:
No its not "just" a message board.

The World of Warcraft Forums are that way if you want "just" a message board ------>...

This is a place for educated professionals to exchange ideas. If our most educated citizens have no standards for grammar and spelling, what does that say about everyone else? I think I read somewhere that in the past a society was judged by its most educated. Maybe Ancient Rome or Greece? I don't remember.

Hold yourselves to the highest standards possible in everything you do. Please. You will be better for it and succeed beyond your expectations. I promise.

I know, I know, I'm taking this a little too seriously, BUT this is one thing that really irks me personally. "Alot" is not proper. Its "A lot"...two words. Irregardless is not a word. Just because these terms are becoming common place, doesn't mean they are the proper use of a very articulate language.

Its not because I'm Canadian that I take this seriously. I wasn't born in Canada. English is not my first language. Now I speak three languages fluently, and understand a half dozen others. I made a concerted effort to assimilate and that made me sensitive to these things as I was forced to learn even the most trivial things in language when I was young to be "accepted". Read the book "The Millionaire Next Door" and you will understand what I mean a little better. Sorry for the rant.

1. You totally missed the point dtrack was trying to make.

2. Does the fact that you didn't use the proper conjunction "it's" 3 times in your post mean you don't understand the difference between "its" and "it's"?
I don't think so.

Preparing a manuscript for publication and writing a forum post are different endeavors. I'd understand the grammer police showing up in the former situation, not so much in the latter.

Don't be THAT guy....in a forum.

1. You totally missed the point dtrack was trying to make.

2. Does the fact that you didn't use the proper conjunction "it's" 3 times in your post mean you don't understand the difference between "its" and "it's"?
I don't think so.

Preparing a manuscript for publication and writing a forum post are different endeavors. I'd understand the grammer police showing up in the former situation, not so much in the latter.

Don't be THAT guy....in a forum.
It is Grammar. Just kidding, we know each other. You made some good points here.

It is Grammar. Just kidding, we know each other. You made some good points here.

Haha I can't believe I did that. I can't spel gud.

Edit: I also kind of made my own point: mistakes can happen in casual forum posts and most of the time they are the product of auto correct or lack thereof, not ignorance.

Last edited:
You are correct about "it's". Thank you for educating me as I thought it was something it was not. Grammar police alert.

However, "your" DOES NOT mean "you are" ever. Look up "alot" in Webster's and it states that is a term used by the illiterate.

When I make mistakes in grammar, I don't mind when people point it out, as all of us are still learning. No one should complain when they are corrected in a clear, concise, non confrontational manner. I understood dtrack's post, and disagree with not being THAT guy. We are all here to help each other, even if it's to correct our grammar.

Last edited:
Atleast we can say that the conversation has kept on topic to what the question was......Just b/c someone types in short hand and mispells a few things doesn't mean that its the end of the known world. (I figured i had to contribute just b/c i enjoyed reading this thread ha )

Back to the original topic....

I'm am a P3 from Scholl, and quite frankly I'm sick of all the whining. My class was the first to go through the new 2+2 curriculum, which came with substantial growing pains. For those of us who thought P1 year was tough, 2nd year turned it into a walk through the daisies. Before our winter break 2nd year, we had 8 tests in 11 school days. We also had all the classes previously given in the 3rd year shoved into our 2nd year. Many moaned and complained through this process, and it is really my class I blame for this general atmosphere where whining and complaining is the norm. However our gripes were more constructive criticisms directed toward positive change, rather than just flat out ranting. Unfortunately, it seems that that attitude has transcended into the classes below, despite many of the problems we faced being addressed and resolved. Now I'm not going to say the curriculum and experience is now perfect, however it is not the doom and gloom that some would want others to believe. As a 3rd year traveling around to different programs, I can attest to the stellar education provided by Scholl. I know it seems far away, but trust me that once you're out there, the hours you toiled away earning your education will reap rewards.

On the other hand, if you truly feel that Scholl is not the right place for you, by all means feel free to leave. I know from personal experience with a couple former students in my class how unpleasant it is to have someone around with a permanent negative attitude and constant gripes. Leaving will only make you happier...and the rest of us who have to listen to you.

Best of luck with whatever you choose. I hope you don't find yourself miserable somewhere else too.

Here's a question for you...

Would you have preferred the M1 schedule to taking exams? Like taking an exam every two weeks? Or would you prefer a modified version of that such as taking a combined exam every week?

After experiencing the schedule so far this year I would NOT mind taking a combined exam every week (on Mondays similar to the M1s). Therefore our schedules would match up better and we would not be thrust into situations where we have to take multiple exams prior to an ECR exam (for example).

Another scenario that has seemed to arise (since the P1 and M1 schedules vary greatly) is that when we have upcoming gross anatomy practicals...the P1s will have multiple exams throughout that week prior to the practical (which is the following week). Where M1s will just have their combined exam that Monday, which leaves them the entire week to study in the lab and prepare for the gross anatomy practical without having to worry about any more exams. Its an advantage for them any way you slice. Sure they have to take combined exams where we only have to focus on one topic but our one topic exams can be anywhere from 12-15 lectures per exams...which is still a significant amount of material.

Case in point...the P1s & M1s have a gross practical next Tuesday but this week alone the P1s have had a gross anatomy lecture (which was apart of the M1 combined exam) this past Monday, a Final in Pod Med and Surg (half course content worth 50% of our grade) that was today, and now we have an ECR exam tomorrow (that I am currently cramming for right now). The M1s have to take that ECR exam too but obviously they are not cramming right now for it since they have been done with their testing since this past Monday.

Its situations like these that kind of piss me off but overall I still have been enjoying my Scholl experience. TheBee, if you could offer some more comments about this I would love to hear your perspective. We have class meeting coming up next week. I'm pretty sure these are topics that are going to addressed.

Great points. But a few comments and questions.

acknowledging that they are 2 separate, yet similar programs, variations in exam schedule is expected. But:

1. Is there a curve?
  2. If there is a curve, are the M1 and P1 students graded on the same curve or do they have separate curves?
If there is no curve, then really, who cares? Pretend the M1 program didn't exist and it was just the P1's. If that were the case, you wouldn't have another program to compare to, and you'd realize (and I'm sure you probably already realized this) that pod is just not 'easy'.

I'm sure the med kids don't have it any easier than the pods do. Both are difficult programs with some slight variations that are expected.

Scholl class of 2014 just had our 2nd class meeting (I believe we have 1 every quarter).

This time Dr. Manion, Dr. Becker, Dean Parsley, and Dr. Mason were leading the discussion and addressed many some of the concerns students had. Only a handful of students actually spoke up. Those that spoke up had very legitimate concerns and, IMO, they were properly addressed by the faculty during the meeting. No sign of the whiners...who claim that the administration/faculty do not care about us...

BTW, the current P2's had to "sign off" on the P1 schedule last year. They made suggestions and were active in the process to make the schedule better. The faculty/administration does listen...people just like whining I guess but don't like to speak up when the opportunity presents itself.

Great points. But a few comments and questions.

acknowledging that they are 2 separate, yet similar programs, variations in exam schedule is expected. But:

1. Is there a curve?
  2. If there is a curve, are the M1 and P1 students graded on the same curve or do they have separate curves?
If there is no curve, then really, who cares? Pretend the M1 program didn't exist and it was just the P1's. If that were the case, you wouldn't have another program to compare to, and you'd realize (and I'm sure you probably already realized this) that pod is just not 'easy'.

I'm sure the med kids don't have it any easier than the pods do. Both are difficult programs with some slight variations that are expected.

Well even if there isn't a curve between the M1 and P1, you have to consider compare Scholl Pod students with other school's Pod students. from what I hear, Scholl's scheduling is the worst (multiple exams in a week) compared to other Pod schools. This can hurt during the residency hunt when a Scholl 3.0 GPA would most likely have been a 3.5 at another school with easier scheduling.

Also, in residency placement, there isn't a equalizer (like the MCAT) since boards are pass/fail. So a student with a 3.5 from a school other than Scholl passed the boards by 1 point compared to a Scholl student with a 3.0 and passed the Boards by 20 points. the Scholl student will still appear to be the weaker applicant.

1) A lot of podiatry programs have multiple exams during the week.

2) Applicants to residency programs are not pieces of paper. If you have a 3.5 and have zero capability in a clinical setting then you are worthless.

Don't get caught up in the numbers. Although we might have multiple exams, it is completely doable. People just like to rant about it (including myself). But gues what? We've completed 3 courses so far this year and I've earned three As. Case in point.

Good for you Ankle Breaker! Pod school is no cake walk.

I may be a little bais because for undergrad I went to one of those hardcore "want to be Ivy Leagues" schools. You know, those colleges that are just below Ivy and have an inferiority complex. They grade so very hard and have crazy scheduling problems. On the other hand, my friends went to smaller schools and state schools and looked so much better on paper (great GPA, etc) than me even though we pretty much learned the same science knowledge. I just wish people knew stuff like that and realize that the name of the school doesn't matter as much and go to a school that has the best managment.

The whole point of switching things around was not so Scholl could be different but because the powers at be wanted their students to be getting into the clinic earlier and also accumulating more clinical experiences. At the end of the P1 year we start shadowing in the Scholl clinic. Then all of second year we are working in the clinic, assisting the physicians there whenever we can. We start our medical rotations halfway through our third year. We have more clerkship months then any other podiatry school. That's a ton of opportunity to experience a variety of programs you may be interested in doing your residency at. Sounds pretty good to me.

This is something that a lot of people don't know about Scholl. We get ATLEAST 8 podiatry clerkships BEFORE residency interviews. Very important with the residency shortage. I don't know any other school that comes close to that.

This is something that a lot of people don't know about Scholl. We get ATLEAST 8 podiatry clerkships BEFORE residency interviews. Very important with the residency shortage. I don't know any other school that comes close to that.

and these are all outside of the chicago area?

and these are all outside of the chicago area?

EDIT: I looked it up.

3rd year
PSUR 800 Affiliated Podiatry Clinical Experience
PELE 700 4-Elective Podiatry Clerkships

4th year (will probably change)
PMED 801 Internal Medicine Clinical Experience
PMED 802 Emergency Medicine Clinical Experience
PSUR 802 General Surgery Clinical Experience
PMED 803 Fourth Year Podiatric Medicine Clinical Experience (Hines VA)
PACE 801 Cook County (Stroger) Hospital Podiatry Clinical Experience
PACE 802 North Chicago (James Lovell) VA or Westside (Jesse Brown) VA Clinical Experience
PELE 800 6 Elective Podiatry Clinical Experiences

I don't know the specifics on the affiliated pod month so that's 4 definite outside rotations just in 3rd year alone. Then 6 in 4th year. IM, ER, Gen surg are in chicago. So are the Hines VA, Cook County (Stroger), and North Chicago VA. But the 4th year might change. I believe this is the current P4 schedule which are still of the older curriculum. The current P3's are the first to go through the new curriculum.

So 10 pod clerkships (outside of chicago), 3 core medicine rotations in chicago, 3 chicago pod rotations, and 1 "affiliated" pod rotation spread out from Jan. of P3 to May of P4.

I have talked to a few P3's and they all said atleast 8 before interviews (all outside of chicago). They hadn't gotten their 4th year schedule yet when I spoke to them.

Last edited:
I am a 4th year and you definitely get alot of outside elective externships. The number you have prior to interviews will depend on the schedule that you pick in the lottery. At least that is how it was for my class.

As far as core rotations (IM, ER, Gen Surg) we had the option to do them in Chicago or outside. We had the options of (Detroit, Los Angeles, New Mexico or Arizona). I chose Detroit. Getting the option to do your core outside chicago was lottery as well, based on your group.

Based on the group I picked, I was able to do 8 electives outside chicago, plus the 3 core rotations outside chicago. So I was basically gone for 9 months out of my 4th year.

I am doing my last (9th) elective rotation outside chicago as well. So you will get alot of experience because of this opportunity to see alot of programs. I met alot of students from other schools that got vey limited outside electives (CA only gets 3, told by a CA student. I think Ohio gets very few as well, I think 4). Some said they felt lost and felt like they were applying blind because they didn't have a chance to visit or extern.

I am only doing 2 chicago rotations...Jesse Brown and Stroger. So you can spend most of your 4th year gone, if that's your choice. It's tough, you feel like a nomad most of the time :thumbdown:. But you get through it.

NOTE: If given the opportunity or you have time, make sure you visit other programs if you're interested in them. Some programs while you're externing, will encourage you to visit, as they know your time is limited. Many interviews I had, I only visited for a day or two. So don't be afraid to go visit. Be diligent about expressing your interest without being a pest or obnoxious.

Last edited:
txlioness,

Did you do all your core (IM, ER, Gen Surg) rotations at Detroit and, if so, was it a consecutive 3 months? Which hospital was it at? Did you have time to visit some Podiatry programs while you were there?

Also, I'm curious, what did you guys do in your P3 year?