third cycle applying- still optimistic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shollisgrant

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am from SC. Here is the rundown, I would appreciate any advice or encouragement, especially if your application is similar to mine.

2016/2017 cycle:
-my senior year of college
-took DAT late September, application was also submitted around that time
-AA 21, PAT 18
-1 committee rec
-I've been shadowing since high school!
-~40 volunteer hours
-interviewed (MUSC), denied (MUSC)

2017/2018 cycle:
-graduated in May 2017
-applied late again, around September
-retook DAT in August
-AA 20, PAT 20 (so most schools will use AA 21, PAT 20)
-a committee rec, rec from research advisor, rec from dentist, rec from peer who is in dental school
-interviewed (MUSC, ASDOH), waitlisted (MUSC, ASDOH), denied (Georgia, Tufts, Alabama)
-added around 100 volunteer hours (including with a non-profit dental clinic), I even assist my aunt and uncle at a detention center, interned with them for a month, I now do customer service and accounts receivable at local business
- took a human & comparative anatomy course this spring, received an A+

my undergrad GPA is around ~3.4, science ~3.2.

what is wrong!!! it is so competitive nowadays and I cannot afford to get a Masters. I have been living at home to save money. I really want to stay in the South and I definitely am more competitive at private schools.

and should I use the same LORs?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You need to apply as early as possible, I would shoot for July at the latest. I know some schools take your highest DAT and others average it, but I’m not sure how it looks like if your overall DAT slightly decreased after your retake. I personally wouldn’t have retaken the 21AA the first time around. I would volunteer more maybe. How many shadowing hours do you have and are they all at just one office?

Also, did you only apply to 5 schools last cycle? If so, I would apply to 10-15 this cycle after doing your research.

I had about 500 volunteer hours, 300 shadowing (4 different offices), leadership roles, and a 24AA and was able to get several interviews and three acceptances even though my overall was only a 3.2 (3.1 sci). I think your GPA should be fine.

I would keep strengthening other parts of your application, and if possible, consider retaking the DAT maybe. But if not, then definitely aim to apply EARLY this cycle. The admissions dean at Case western always says to apply by July 4th if you can, especially if your have lower stats. Last year, a few schools starting handing out interviews as early as late June.

I am assuming that the one letter that is a peer at a dental school is a dental student... I would ditch that letter and find a different one if that is the case. I don't think that letter is going to hold much merit with admissions because that person is a student.

Also with a committee rec letter, you should only be able to have one other letter on the AADSAS, so I am assuming that the others were sent to the schools.

One thing that you might try is calling the schools like MUSC and ASDOH and ask them why you didn't get in. It might not be your application but something in your interview that they didn't like. Typically, they will take notes and tell you what they thought during the interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
should i mention in my personal statement that this is my third time applying to emphasize my dedication to dentistry? because you already have to disclose if you've applied before. or should I not, because I don't want schools that I haven't applied to thinking I'm just desperate now

should i mention in my personal statement that this is my third time applying to emphasize my dedication to dentistry? because you already have to disclose if you've applied before. or should I not, because I don't want schools that I haven't applied to thinking I'm just desperate now
I would definitely mention it! It let's you stand out in a good way by showing your dedication to the profession

Einstein defined insanity as "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results".

I'm in a very similar situation.
From Alabama

2016/2017:
- senior year of college
-took DAT in July and late November, application was also submitted in November
-AA 17
-1 committee rec
-some shadowing
-some volunteering (lacked significant experiences)
- VERY Limited knowledge of application process or what schools were looking for
-GPA 3.6
- No Interviews

2017/2018
-submitted Application in July
-retook DAT in November (20 AA)
- gradually obtained more shadowing/ volunteer (still lacked significant, dental experience)
- Still No interviews (knew my score came late, but was still very upset, bc I applied to a few private schools where my score was well above the average)

2018/2019
-same DAT & GPA (obviously)
- completely reworked my application with a theme that applied to my personal statement, experiences, etc.
- started volunteering at a free dental clinic, was eventually given an opportunity to become a dental assistant in the clinic, and just today was hired to be their new clinic coordinator!
- gained more shadowing experience across a variety of settings
- researching schools to see what could possibly be the best fit.
- my application is ready to go and I'll hit submit first thing Tuesday when it goes live.

UAB is my dream school (i live an hour away), but I'll go almost anywhere at this point. I talk to a lot of students and dentists and it's not uncommon to hear of someone having to apply 3 times. I'm at the point where I've learned from my mistakes, learned what they are looking for, and I'm just ready to get the show on the road.

Hello everyone,

I am from SC. Here is the rundown, I would appreciate any advice or encouragement, especially if your application is similar to mine.

2016/2017 cycle:
-AA 21, PAT 18
-1 committee rec
-~40 volunteer hours

2017/2018 cycle:
-graduated in May 2017
-retook DAT in August
-a committee rec, rec from research advisor, rec from dentist, rec from peer who is in dental school
-interviewed (MUSC, ASDOH), waitlisted (MUSC, ASDOH), denied (Georgia, Tufts, Alabama)
-added around 100 volunteer hours (including with a non-profit dental clinic), I even assist my aunt and uncle at a detention center, interned with them for a month, I now do customer service and accounts receivable at local business

what is wrong!!! it is so competitive nowadays and I cannot afford to get a Masters. I have been living at home to save money. I really want to stay in the South and I definitely am more competitive at private schools.

I applied 7 times to dental school before I got accepted, so hang in there! Maybe look into a post bac.

Reactions: 2 users
hey! Just to give you an update that may help you! so UAB's DAT and GPA score has gone up (since UAB doesn't update their site). I wanna say Dr. Filler mentioned to us during spring preview/ interview cycle its something like 3.77 and 21 on DAT. According to Dr. Filler, number of applicants went up by 40% from the 2017-2018 cycle. it's like somewhere from ~1000 to ~1400 from the 2017/2018 cycle to 2018/2019 cycle. sooo chances are UAB will get more applicants this year. National applicant number has dropped but for some reason number of ppl applying to UAB has gone up. roughly 2/3 of the class is in-state and 1/3 is out of state..so you're looking at about 40 spots for instate kids. But Good Luck! UAB just renovated their clinic! I hope you get an interview and get a peek at our new clinic! pro tip: if you do get accepted, DrFiller calls from a blocked unknown number...don't be like me and just ignore it XD. "

Thanks for the info! I talked to a friend of mine a few months back who just graduated from UAB and she was telling me similar things. It's sort of tough situation to see UAB's popularity rise while I'm applying. Good news is I worked really hard to improve my application in almost every area over the past year. I submitted my app today so I know I'll be in the first batch. I'm hoping they will at least give me a shot and invite me to an interview. We'll see how it goes!

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry, I do not see constant reapplication to D school as dedication. It seems a little crazy. Perhaps this is the root of the student loan debt crisis. There are so many other things to do in the world. I would move on. Starting out in dentistry is tough now.

Sorry, I do not see constant reapplication to D school as dedication. It seems a little crazy. Perhaps this is the root of the student loan debt crisis. There are so many other things to do in the world. I would move on. Starting out in dentistry is tough now.

Very surprised to hear that from a dentist!

I recommend not bringing up it's your third time. Shift their attention elsewhere. Desperate is a word you do not want them thinking haha

Edit: On second thought, bringing it up might be fine. Something like, " I've been pursuing dentistry for a while now, and ___, ___, and ___ (your body paragraphs) have only strengthened my resolve to enter this field." Just don't focus on the fact that it's your third time

Last edited:
Very surprised to hear that from a dentist!
Why? I think I know how things are going in this profession. Sometimes moving forward and on with your life is the smart choice. Hovering in a pattern for too long does not get you anywhere. There is more to life than dentistry.

Hello everyone,

2016/2017 cycle:
-AA 21, PAT 18
-1 committee rec
-~40 volunteer hours

2017/2018 cycle:
-graduated in May 2017
-retook DAT in August

You may need to consider a DAT retake and postbacc.

Maybe I've been applying to the wrong schools, but for most schools I'm applying to - they take your most recent set. Not pick and choose the top scores from eligible attempts.

I'm in a very similar situation.
From Alabama

2016/2017:
- senior year of college
-took DAT in July and late November, application was also submitted in November
-AA 17
-1 committee rec
-some shadowing
-some volunteering (lacked significant experiences)
- VERY Limited knowledge of application process or what schools were looking for
-GPA 3.6
- No Interviews

2017/2018
-submitted Application in July
-retook DAT in November (20 AA)
- gradually obtained more shadowing/ volunteer (still lacked significant, dental experience)
- Still No interviews (knew my score came late, but was still very upset, bc I applied to a few private schools where my score was well above the average)

2018/2019
-same DAT & GPA (obviously)
- completely reworked my application with a theme that applied to my personal statement, experiences, etc.
- started volunteering at a free dental clinic, was eventually given an opportunity to become a dental assistant in the clinic, and just today was hired to be their new clinic coordinator!
- gained more shadowing experience across a variety of settings
- researching schools to see what could possibly be the best fit.
- my application is ready to go and I'll hit submit first thing Tuesday when it goes live.

UAB is my dream school (i live an hour away), but I'll go almost anywhere at this point. I talk to a lot of students and dentists and it's not uncommon to hear of someone having to apply 3 times. I'm at the point where I've learned from my mistakes, learned what they are looking for, and I'm just ready to get the show on the road.

hey! any updates?

Did anyone see the post where the guy applied 7 times? Or just me? lol. WOW Dedication

If it helps I'm on my second cycle and I just started an MBA last week. Here's to a 4.0!