Third MCAT attempt + reapplicant - help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

journeytomed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I applied this past cycle (2015-2016) with no success. I have taken the MCAT two times, score breakdown below, and I am currently scheduled to take the MCAT on June 2nd. This past cycle, I was not complete at most schools until mid-Sept/mid-Oct (some even in Nov). That in combination with my abysmal MCAT score, I believe, is what caused an unsuccessful cycle.

Jan 2015: 29 (9/11/9)
June 2015: 504 (got pneumonia 1 week prior to MCAT)

I went ahead and decided I would like to retake the MCAT for the third time prior to applying this cycle. My question is - how bad would it be for me to reschedule my MCAT from June 2nd to June 18th? Based on my schedule, I will be done with content review on May 19th. As such, I would like to have a full month of practice tests before taking the MCAT, especially since its my third time and I can't afford a third bad score. If I stick to the June 2nd date, I will only have 2 weeks. Also, I work almost FT (4 days a week), so I'm sure how many practice tests I can get in, in 2 weeks.

My concern with rescheduling the MCAT to June 18th is risking applying late yet again this cycle. I would not re-write/edit my PS until after June 18th, hopefully be done with that by July 1st. So I would submit my primary app on July 1st (vs early Aug last cycle). I plan to pre-write secondaries to schools I have not already applied to as well.

Any thoughts? Would love some feedback. I'm hoping for a 512+ because it is pointless for me to retake the MCAT if I'm not going to do significantly better because I know I'm already shooting myself in the foot taking it a third time.

TR;DL Okay to reschedule to June 18th or better to hardcore study the next 3 weeks for an earlier submit of my primary app?

Thanks! (Also posting this in the re-applicants thread - hope its okay to double post, if not, I'll take it down!)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The rest of my app is as follows:
3.4 cGPA, 2.9 sGPA (taking additional summer courses to bump it up to 3.0)
3.7 SMP GPA.
LA resident - just missed the cut off for LA resident during previous application cycle. So I think my new residency will help with LSU-NOLA and LSU-S (which is ultimately where I would like to be).
Solid LORs.
Heavy ECs focused on my passion of serving inner-city/urban environment.
Scribe for the past 9 months (plan to continue during my gap year)
Minimal research experience (3 months) - I plan to find research opportunities to pursue during my gap year PT while scribing.
Also planning to apply to DO this cycle in addition to MD.