Third Research or no?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovemedicine416

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So while I was looking for a shadowing opportunity for a letter of recommendation from a doctor, the doctor I contacted said he's not allowed to have shadowing but welcomes me to do research with him and I can still get patient exposure.
The problem is, I have already been in two research labs. I am going to my senior year and would like to drop one so I can focus on just one research. However, this doctor is also currently collaborating with the lab I plan to continue research with (which is how I got recommended)

I was just wondering if I should accept this offer? I am not sure because I have done probably less than 30 hours of shadowing, but I have done other form of clinical experience (internship at a primay care clinic), and I need to have a physician letter of recommendation for my pre-health committee.

I'm not sure if I should get a physician letter of rec from research or a physician letter from shadowing. I feel like I have enough research experiences and not enough shadowing experiences, but the collaboration makes the research seem pretty desirable.. I worry that I would have too many letters that speak about my scientific skills and not enough about my patient interaction skills..

Should I accept the third research offer?

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
Thanks for your input! Why would that be? Wouldn't I get a letter about my patient interaction abilities?

Shadowing shouldn't involve any patient interaction. You're to be seen and not heard. The point is to stand there quietly, observe and educate yourself on the day-to-day of medical practice. That doesn't provide any material for a good LOR.

Shadowing shouldn't involve any patient interaction. You're to be seen and not heard. The point is to stand there quietly, observe and educate yourself on the day-to-day of medical practice. That doesn't provide any material for a good LOR.
Would you recommend taking this research opportunity? Would this seem too much research (because I would have three research, which seems more fit for pHD schools)? I don't want to seem like I quitted one lab to join another lab, which seems undedicated to me that I have two research I would do for only 1-1.5 years..

Would you recommend taking this research opportunity? Would this seem too much research (because I would have three research, which seems more fit for pHD schools)? I don't want to seem like I quitted one lab to join another lab, which seems undedicated to me that I have two research I would do for only 1-1.5 years..

Quality is way more important than quantity when it comes to research experience

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user