Third time is a charm.....I hope.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

karntrev

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just curious how many SDNers out there are applying for the third time? This is my third time and I hope it is the last. This whole process has really sucked for me. I have applied early the first two times and will definitely apply early this time. I have a 2.96gpa in undergraduate and a 3.82 graduate gpa. My DAT scores are 17AA, 19TS, 20PAT. I am retaking the DAT this summer. I have done so much to try and put myself in a better position to get in each year but I keep falling short. I had no interviews my first year and I had one last year. So I am hoping that in 2008 the trend will follow with an acceptance. Anyway, I am just curious how many SDNers are in the same kind of sinking boat I am?

Members don't see this ad.

I know someone who will be applying for the 4rth time.

may I ask how many schools you applied to the first and 2nd time around ?

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if I can handle a fourth time.

I applied to 14 schools my first time and 7 the second time. This time I may apply to more for the simple reason that I don't know if I can keep doing this. If I don't feel like I was really given a shot at getting in by any schools then this will be the last time I apply. I really want to be a dentist and I know that people will say that if you really want to then you will apply as many times as it takes to get there. Well, unfortunately I don't have a wallet that can support that and I hate putting my family on hold and rejecting some good job offers while I wait to see if by chance I get in. I ordered the new ADEA guide to dental schools and as I looked through it I am looking at applying to about 20 schools. I have done graduate school work, hours upon hours of volunteering, even more hours of shadowing, the only thing I haven't done I believe to boost my app. is retake the DAT which is why I am doing this time.

10,000 or even 30,000 dollars thrown away ONLY for the application process is a small price of the luxurious life of a dentist..

Never give up on your dream, one day when your 50, you'll thank yourself 1000 times for never giving up..

I don't know if I can handle a fourth time.
the only thing I haven't done I believe to boost my app. is retake the DAT which is why I am doing this time.

Yea...after reading your post it seems like all the other parts of your app seem fine. You undergrad gpa is low, but your grad gpa totally negates that (assuming your getting a masters in some kind of science field and not like psychology or something). Your dat science and pat scores are fine...but your aa was 17. This must mean you didn't score so well in either reading comp or quantitative or both. I think if you retake the dat, keeping at least your science and pat scores where they are, and get ~18-19 on everything else, then you've got a good shot.

But yes, definitely apply early. I don't think my app was all that hot to be honest, but I applied as early as possible and many schools gave me a shot with an interview (even though I may not have been accepted)

I am just curious how many SDNers out there are applying for the third time? This is my third time and I hope it is the last. This whole process has really sucked for me. I have applied early the first two times and will definitely apply early this time. I have a 2.96gpa in undergraduate and a 3.82 graduate gpa. My DAT scores are 17AA, 19TS, 20PAT. I am retaking the DAT this summer. I have done so much to try and put myself in a better position to get in each year but I keep falling short. I had no interviews my first year and I had one last year. So I am hoping that in 2008 the trend will follow with an acceptance. Anyway, I am just curious how many SDNers are in the same kind of sinking boat I am?

Yes, I am one of the 3rd time is a charmers. I'm a resident of Louisiana. I applied to only LA the first time around, and quickly found that it was a huge mistake. The second time around I applied to LSU, Baylor, San Antonio, UF, Nova, and Alabama. Due to my DAT score(s) I received a rejection without interviews from all the schools. Three DAT's later I'm forcing myself to study for a 4th time. I've learned that Kaplan is NOT enough to get the score you need...wish I had become a member of SDN at the beginning to find this out. Anyway, I'm shooting to take the DAT August 4th and send my AADSAS in ASAP, possible end May/beg June. I will also be applying to 20 schools. What are the 20 schools you are applying to, if you don't mind listing...just curious. You're not the only one in this positon, so lets get through this together! :D

Yes, I am one of the 3rd time is a charmers. I'm a resident of Louisiana. I applied to only LA the first time around, and quickly found that it was a huge mistake. The second time around I applied to LSU, Baylor, San Antonio, UF, Nova, and Alabama. Due to my DAT score(s) I received a rejection without interviews from all the schools. Three DAT's later I'm forcing myself to study for a 4th time. I've learned that Kaplan is NOT enough to get the score you need...wish I had become a member of SDN at the beginning to find this out. Anyway, I'm shooting to take the DAT August 4th and send my AADSAS in ASAP, possible end May/beg June. I will also be applying to 20 schools. What are the 20 schools you are applying to, if you don't mind listing...just curious. You're not the only one in this positon, so lets get through this together! :D

I thought you could only take DAT three times.

you can take it more than 3 times, but you need special permission

Hang in there. If you want it bad enough, stick with it. My mentor in undergrad (one of my profs), his best friend got into med school after his 19th (yes, 19th) year of applying. That may be an extreme case, but his persistance paid off. So can yours.

Three was my number! I've been going through the same rejection cycles as you and got in by the skin of my teeth this year. I was contemplating quiting and continuing with a lucrative job. I don't know if 20 schools is the answer, largely because of price. But I applied to LSU this year in addition to all the others and have been accepted. I'm a non-resident, so I guess I meshed well. Good luck!!!

I applied 4 times, no interview the first 2, 1 the third, 4 this year and 3 acceptances. I was starting to feel the pressure of what if i don't get in. Don't give up.

wow NAVY DDS, props to that guy!!! he really deserved it.

oh and karntrev, Never give up on your dreams man... , just apply to as many schools as you can. Im sure some1 will accept you.

this is my third time applying as well. i totally agree with you: the application process, and suffering all of those rejections year after year, is difficult and painful. i had to truly reassess myself as an applicant and re-decide if this career was in fact for me. this year, though, i have gotten five interviews (four pre-dec 1st, all waitlist) and have thought of the very real possibility of having to apply again next year. all i can say is if you want it, continue to improve yourself as an applicant and as a person. learn from your experiences, know your weaknesses and speak to them when you do get an interview. lastly, try to treat applying to dental school like a job: research the schools thoroughly, know their minimum DATs and GPAs (i bought the ADEA book "Official Guide to Dental Schools 2007"), write a kick-ass personal statement and apply early (June 1st or earlier). i know it isn't easy, but the hard work will pay off.

hope this helps. sorry it's a bit long-winded.

Hang in there. If you want it bad enough, stick with it. My mentor in undergrad (one of my profs), his best friend got into med school after his 19th (yes, 19th) year of applying. That may be an extreme case, but his persistance paid off. So can yours.

wow.. that guys been applying practically since the year i was born.. congrats to him