Third time re-applicant, aspire to go US MD. Help is appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dobviously

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Where else did you apply to? With 2 interviews you could still be accepted this year. If no success this year I suggest applying to 10 or more DO schools and you are competitive for all DO schools. Some schools require a DO LOR.

Reactions: 1 user
DO is the biggest one, it'd be pretty foolish not to include some of them on your 3rd cycle. I think that GPA is still salvageable without an SMP, you don't need to take that kind of risk. Some post-bac work could do enough to nudge your GPA up a bit, and a nudge is really all that's needed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can I ask you what you did in the mean time. I'm also a reapplicant in the same boat :( don't give up I'm sure you make it, come from a real disadvantaged financially background not sure what to do next. Pretty depressed.

This forum is so cool, it's awesome to have people to bounce ideas off and learn from! Thanks for your help Scott.

I will add DO into my next cycle, I agree it sounds foolish not to. What would you think is a better idea: Traveling abroad and doing some international healthcare volunteering and then reapplying next year or enrolling in a post-bacc in a new state (like TX or FL), establishing residency and then reapplying?

I'm not adcomm, just a fellow student, but I think postbac would get you more bang for your buck. My rationale is that with a cursory glance at your current app status, it seems like GPA is the weakest point that is actionable for US MD (can't do anything about the IA). International healthcare volunteering is also a little controversial, search through the old threads regarding medical mission trips if you want an idea of that. I don't have any experience on best state to do this in, unfortunately. I've lived in FL my whole life so I have nothing to compare. There should be old threads about this as well though. Remember to keep an eye on MCAT expiration, it's imo the most annoying part of reapplications. Schools won't let you use expired MCAT to qualify, but they're perfectly happy judging that same expired score even after you've submitted a new one. Blech.

Being present in a state or going to school in a state doesn't get you residency. Generally you have to be employed, paying taxes for 1-2 years to get instate. So part time school at most. Also consideration of state residency is completely different for applying (keyed off your AMCAS/TMDSAS/AACOMAS address) vs. tuition (state legislation).

Some schools won't review a 4th reapp, was true for UW recently, not sure now. Your stats don't get much done for you, but they're not low enough to explain 3 app cycles without success. I'd pay a consultant before applying again.

If you don't know what an SMP is, visit the postbac forum. For MD that would be a reasonable next step, along with considering a traditional research masters with pubs. Get some SMP apps out this weekend and sort out the details later - it's the end of the SMP app cycle.

Regardless, I agree with others that you should be focusing on DO. I did extreme and ridiculous things to get USMD, and it didn't end up making any difference for me vs. DO. PNWU & Western Lebanon are not too far from home.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users
I applied to 30+ schools. I was smart about my choices too, I used MSAR and everything. Thanks for your advice Faha, anyone else got any ideas for me??
I know I'm dogpiling here but a reapplicant not including DO isn't being smart about their choices.

Shadow a DO, volunteer at a clinic, and add 15 DO schools to your mext app

Sorry for all the questions: But what about post bacc instead of SMP? My GPA isn't HORRENDOUS so don't you think I can get by with a post bacc?

Also, I actually do think I made smart choices because I applied to MD programs that I was grade and mcat wise competitive for. Schools in some really ugly cities with nothing to do because this is my dream. I could add some DO but I'm so close to MD what can I do to get that MD?

Thanks for all your help

Sorry for all the questions: But what about post bacc instead of SMP? My GPA isn't HORRENDOUS so don't you think I can get by with a post bacc?

Also, I actually do think I made smart choices because I applied to MD programs that I was grade and mcat wise competitive for. Schools in some really ugly cities with nothing to do because this is my dream. I could add some DO but I'm so close to MD what can I do to get that MD?

Thanks for all your help
If you are a 2 time non-matriculant and you intentionally excluded schools that were easier to get into, you by definition did not make smart choices. It's ok to make a bad choice, lots of people do, but it's frustrating to watch you pretend you didn't

Yeah, but its better to have an acceptance and just get on with it. Take what you can get, I mean at least you have options better than risking it again another year..

I'm sorry it's just that at times I feel like I have worked too hard and have too strong of an application to go DO? I am close aren't I? I mean I had 2 interviews at MD schools
Well, if you'd added them your second cycle you'd probably be starting medical school this summer. But I'm just a lowly DO applicant so what do I know!

I'm sorry it's just that at times I feel like I have worked too hard and have too strong of an application to go DO? I am close aren't I? I mean I had 2 interviews at MD schools
Your pride has already cost you >$400,000. How much is your pride worth?

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol, obviously if you have an md acceptance should go for it! haha, but getting D.O. still doctor, not bad either still better then nothing.

No offense to D.O. or whatever just get whatever you can haha

Lol, yeah that is true, what residency you planning on? Is it because of the institutional action? How many schools did you apply to btw?

Relax...I am not disparaging DO's, getting into any med school is an accomplishment. I want to specialize in competitive residencies. So you can sit there and insult me by saying my ego is too huge, but what you can't do is dispute FACTS. MD has a higher likelihood of specializing than DO
Right now you're the guy who spent 3 yrs not getting drafted in the nba who refuses to attend an open workout for your local team because you don't think they're playoff contenders.

For what it's worth, I hope it works for you

Reactions: 2 users
How you guys study for the MCAT, btw good scores its not really a bad thing if he's holding out and it does work out it did for quite a ton of applicants, but at least keep the d.o. option open if you can hold out.

But you don't have too strong of an application....your application is very much on the weak end of MD. I don't mean that rudely, it's just the truth

Reactions: 2 users
Your institutional action coupled with your sense of entitlement(especially with lower end stats for MD), in my opinion, even if you did get a bunch of interviews, you would have a low chance of getting in. Try a little humble pie. I know you feel like you worked hard, but you're really not being smart about it. So, either do a post bac and suck it up or continue to reapply with the same app and get the same result. I mean think about it, there are plenty of people who have cheated/lied/stolen on a minor scale and haven't gotten caught. You got caught. And no one really wants someone with that type of red flag at a program where it's 5x as hard. It would be different if that red flag was the only thing, but your attitude about MD is not helping you look any better.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

So many applicants have "worked too hard." I had MD interviews too this cycle, but I applied DO as well and will be going to a great school. Could I or many others have strengthened our apps and reapplied for MD and have gotten in? Maybe, but we'd rather avoid spending thousands and another year of stress and annoyance doing primary/secondaries/traveling to interviews/waiting, plus a lost year of future income.

Relax...I am not disparaging DO's, getting into any med school is an accomplishment. I want to specialize in competitive residencies. So you can sit there and insult me by saying my ego is too huge, but what you can't do is dispute FACTS. MD has a higher likelihood of specializing than DO

Get into medical school before you start worrying about competitive residencies.