Third year of Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashake

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a second year fellow in Hematology-Oncology at a community based program. My program does not carry the name recognition of a university based fellowship program. However, the clinical teaching at my program has been excellent.
I have been exposed to varied pathologies during fellowship and I feel more confident each day (I understand that medicine is to be "practiced and learnt with a constant focus on improvement" but, I got rid of the imposter syndrome). I feel very comfortable in bread and butter oncology practice (which we see in the community).

However, I do have a few questions.
1. Does the name of the training program carry it's value when you transition to private practice?
2. Should I sign up for an advanced fellowship at a big name center to sell myself better to these private practices?
3. Is research an important part to get a good job ?
4. A vague question - how is the job market for oncologists these days?
5. Anyone with H1b visa who signed up for an oncology job recently (within the last 1-2 years)? What were your experiences?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. Does the name of training program carry value when you transition to private practice?
Not really. Only if you're trying to go somewhere that jobs are scarce and a big name might help you out.
2. Should I sign up for an advanced fellowship at a big name center to sell myself better to these private practices?
JFC...NO! Worst idea ever. Just get a job.
You have to have some kind of academic project to graduate. A poster submitted to some meeting is good enough for most.
As with any question like this, not bad, if you know where to look. I'm in a competitive market and there are jobs here.
5. Anyone with H1b visa who signed up for an oncology job recently (within the last 1-2 years)? What were your experiences?
Can't answer this...sorry.

Not really. Only if you're trying to go somewhere that jobs are scarce and a big name might help you out.

JFC...NO! Worst idea ever. Just get a job.

You have to have some kind of academic project to graduate. A poster submitted to some meeting is good enough for most.

As with any question like this, not bad, if you know where to look. I'm in a competitive market and there are jobs here.

Can't answer this...sorry.
Thank you for the detailed reply!! It helps a lot. I have been thinking about a seventh year fellowship. This is very good advice

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think an advanced fellowship would be that helpful if you're looking at private practice and are already coming from an academic program with reasonable exposure to bread and butter. Most, if not all, of the advanced fellows in my program are graduates from overseas who are looking for additional experience before going back to their home countries to practice.

Hello everyone,

I am a second year fellow in Hematology-Oncology at a community based program. My program does not carry name recognition of other universities. However the clinical teaching at my program has been excellent.
I have been exposed to varied pathologies during fellowship as well as tough clinical situations. As I'm reaching the end of my second year, I feel more confident each day (I understand that medicine is to be "practiced and learnt with a constant focus on improvement" but, I got rid of the imposter syndrome). I feel very confident in bread and butter oncology practice (which we see in the community).

1. Does the name of training program carry value when you transition to private practice?

Thank you.

1. Yes and No. If you're trying to get into a big group in a competitive market, it might matter. I've come across a few practices which like to boast and market themselves to the public by hiring graduates of big programs.
2. Definitely not. That's a year of your life completely wasted.
3. No. Nobody will care about your publications or what not.
4. Not bad overall. Depends on where you look. Big cities on the coasts are competitive for all specialties and they don't pay well. Otherwise you'll be fine.
5. Can't help much there.

Good luck