Third year: really better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nah, I could see that. 90% of my time on peds was spent calculating urine output in ml/kg/hr and trying to read my attending's mind on what antibiotic they thought tasted the best. Not really educationally useful for an anesthesiologist, or any specialty, for that matter.

lolololol

Members don't see this ad.

I've barely started and I already don't think I'm going to like it. So far it seems wayyy political and I always feel like I'm just starting a new job... Learning the environment, meeting people, making impressions, and you can't really do anything important or fun yet. It's like starting a new job, over and over, for a year. All the patients seem to act like they're doing you a favor for letting you in on their care...which I understand, but I don't enjoy it. And I'm definitely not comfortable with how subjective all the grading/evals are. That's been a lot more stressful to me than sitting around at home studying or podcasting lectures. Maybe I'm just noticing the negatives because I'm like 100% set on a particular specialty so I'm just there to kind of clock in and learn what I can. I don't know. Can't wait for it to be over though.

I'm also not really a morning person so that's been a big adjustment :sleep:

Last edited:
Alright, so some of our third- and fourth years have told us that M3 is a whole new kind of suck, but that it's still better than M1/M2 in its own way. Have seen lots of SDN posts saying the same.

For the M3s / new M4s: what do you think?

3rd year is practical. It's like 'acting' doc, cos u ain't qualified yet. If u like a hands-on approach to medicine, then u'll enjoy it. If u're the academically-oriented person, then u might prefer the theoretic classes of M2. But M3 is what u really need to be a doctor in the real sense of the word.