Third Year Scheduling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goalcrusher

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm not a new member but my account got hacked and inappropriate posts were made and I'd like to separate myself from that.

I'm an MS2 at a state school and just got my 3rd year schedule and would like some input. The way our school is set up is that we do 6 week rotations one semester, and 4 or 8 week rotations the next.

What I have now:

6 week rotation semester
Psych
FM
Peds
Ob/Gyn
4 or 8 week rotation semester
Neuro (4)
Outpatient (4)
Surgery (8)
Inpatient (8)
Questions:
  1. I know you're supposed to want medicine to be close to first. Is it ok to have it that close to the end? How will this affect step 2?
  2. My intended specialty is Ob/Gyn. I have been told you should take the one you think you want to do in second semester. This'll be Nov/Dec of next year. Is that close enough?
  3. I am also very interested in surgery and wonder if I ought to have it sooner, like right after winter break (we get 3 weeks) so I'd be fresh. How hard should I fight to get that spot? It seems like a popular option.
Sorry if this feels like I'm beating a dead horse. I really appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Having Medicine early means that you'll remember more of your studying from Step 1, but it also means that you won't have as much experience clinically, which can impact your subjective score. Having Medicine later in the year means that you'll be studying for Step 2 (which is mostly Medicine) closer to when you take it.

But I agree with the above. It doesn't really matter what order you do things.