Thirty-something 3.0GPA...should I give up my DDS dream?

Blondie5000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I made the big decision to attend college at the age of 31. For the last 2yrs I've been taking basic classes in hopes of transferring into a program of interest. My passion is patient care in dentistry and I've been a dental assistant as well as surgical assisting OMFS for the last 15yrs. I've seen alot and I actually gained a great deal of knowledge however, my grades have been so so the first 2yrs of college. 3.0. If I continue with all the sciences the next 2yrs and get good grades will dental schools hold the first 2yrs of my college education against me? Got all B's. I did receive A's in A&P I&II and ENG I&II however I did receive a D- :( in ECON my first semester back to college(adviser recommended). I also withdrew some classes(math) that my adviser also said would not hurt me. yikes! Could that blow my chances? :scared: I've received no guidance and I wish that I would have found SDN sooner. Any info/suggestions guys and gals?

Members don't see this ad.

This is the high school section, you might get better information in the pre-dental section. :)

What is your overall gpa at this point? Are you saying it is a 3.0 after two years or that you can get it up to a 3.0? If it's the former, you are in a much better position.

Of course they'll hold your grades against you somewhat since they still factor into your gpa, but your situation isn't anywhere near being totally blown.