This doesn't seem right..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a volunteer at a hospital, as most of us are. I love it there but there is something that is kind of bugging me. I am asked to do some things that don't seem like such a good idea for a volunteer to do. These include transferring patients, getting rid of dirty linen, well actually, those are the only two. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind doing either, but from a legal perspective it doesn't seem to be in the hospital's best interest, like if something went wrong transferring the patient to a wheel chair, or if feces from the dirty linen made its way to some undesirable part of my body that could expose me to a disease. Again, I'm not complaining, just wondering if it is normal.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! Those were my exact duties. :p Just be safe and use PPE.

Members don't see this ad :)
legit concerns. I'm not usually comfortable moving pts by myself so I ask techs to help ... most of the time they do, and sometimes they get frustrated and do it themselves. bottom line is im 5'2" and not too heavy, so moving pts is not easy (+ its so awkward steering those things..)

several times in my ER ive had to prep a room for an incoming ambulance arrival - new linens and cleaning, etc... only to find used instruments in the room... we're not supposed to touch them for liability purposes (ie if something happens to me, the hospital isnt required to help me - warm and fuzzy, right?)... but I've disposed of them/brought them where they needed to go a couple of times when we were super-busy... prob not the best idea though :-/

OK, I never cease to be amazed here at SDN.

So, once more, WOW.

legit concerns. I'm not usually comfortable moving pts by myself so I ask techs to help ... most of the time they do, and sometimes they get frustrated and do it themselves. bottom line is im 5'2" and not too heavy, so moving pts is not easy (+ its so awkward steering those things..)

Totally opposite for me, I'm 6'4" and pushing 210. It seems like my stature ensured my job of "official Patient mover / restrainer / heavy thing holder (or carrier)", depending on the rotation of course. Size is interesting, I hope I don't get forced into lifting / moving types of scutwork in my residency because of my size.

Totally opposite for me, I'm 6'4" and pushing 210. It seems like my stature ensured my job of "official Patient mover / restrainer / heavy thing holder (or carrier)", depending on the rotation of course. Size is interesting, I hope I don't get forced into lifting / moving types of scutwork in my residency because of my size.

Well its just a bit confusing a guess because at the hospital orientation they made it seem like your never supposed to touch the patients or touch anything that could be a biohazard, then all of a sudden I'm moving them left and right,.

Also, the bold print seems a bit odd to me. I guess I'm just paranoid.

I wasn't even allowed to touch let alone move patients. Moving patients required training from the hospital so basically only employees moved employees. It is a liability if you injure yourself or the patient during a move. If you don't feel comfortable or are unsure about doing some task, speak with the volunteer manager.

Not only did I have to clean the sheets, I worked in the "scoping procedures" department, e.g. colonoscopy central. I dealt with fecal matter (and blood if things didn't go as smoothly) on a very regular basis. Oh man... the things we do.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, aside from my main duty as an ER facilitator. I clean rooms (including changing bed) and atleast once or twice a weekend wheel patients around. I don't mind nor do I think I'm unqualified. wear gloves if your worried.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Edit: Ok, just wanted to get on the comp and clarify. My main job is try actually be the first person people see and talk to when they get to the ER. I get all their information and problem and have them wait in the waiting room for registration to call them. But when it's busy and there's more of us around, I'll clean rooms. This includes changing linen, throwing things away, DISINFECTING the bed with cleaner... All of which I was just randomly showed one day by a nurse. Not much training. As for wheeling patients around. The nurses will often ask me to do this if they're busy and need a patient wheeled out while their ride is coming. So usually, the patients family member will be getting a car and I'll wheel them to the front entrance and just chat with them till their ride pulls up. Neither of these chores are very demanding. Yes it's a liable. But maybe they trust I'm capable of bed cleaning and wheel chair rolling? lol. Doesn't seem to bad to me.

But overall, don't be freaked out they ask you to do this. Be happy you actually get to contribute to the hospital.

Last edited:
My job is patient transportation. I'm a small 5'2 girl, it's very difficult (like what was said above). It's very hard to steer the really heavy beds, wheelchairs are nice :oops:

yeah, aside from my main duty as an ER facilitator. I clean rooms (including changing bed) and atleast once or twice a weekend wheel patients around. I don't mind nor do I think I'm unqualified. wear gloves if your worried.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Edit: Ok, just wanted to get on the comp and clarify. My main job is try actually be the first person people see and talk to when they get to the ER. I get all their information and problem and have them wait in the waiting room for registration to call them. But when it's busy and there's more of us around, I'll clean rooms. This includes changing linen, throwing things away, DISINFECTING the bed with cleaner... All of which I was just randomly showed one day by a nurse. Not much training. As for wheeling patients around. The nurses will often ask me to do this if they're busy and need a patient wheeled out while their ride is coming. So usually, the patients family member will be getting a car and I'll wheel them to the front entrance and just chat with them till their ride pulls up. Neither of these chores are very demanding. Yes it's a liable. But maybe they trust I'm capable of bed cleaning and wheel chair rolling? lol. Doesn't seem to bad to me.

But overall, don't be freaked out they ask you to do this. Be happy you actually get to contribute to the hospital.

Wheeling patients in a wheel chair is one thing, that's no problem. What I am worried about is actually helping the patients get into said wheelchair in the first place.

My volunteer position (conducting newborn hearing screens) requires me to pick up and move one-day-old babies. Can you imagine if I dropped one?

Wheeling patients in a wheel chair is one thing, that's no problem. What I am worried about is actually helping the patients get into said wheelchair in the first place.
The key is to stabilize the wheel chair and let them get into it. Do not touch them. If they require physical help, have a nurse do it. I would only stabilize the wheelchair; any touching of the patient I would not go for.

Sorry, I guess I didn't really make it clear. But yeah, if the person is elderly I usually have to help them into the wheel chair as they can't do it themselves. But it's pretty much just being an arm for them to hold onto if they need help. I'm not a big guy. 5'8, 140 pounds. But a can support a grandma getting into a wheelchair.

I might also add they stress at our volunteering training they you'll be asked to do a lot of things. If you're ever uncomfortable with any of it, just say no and it's perfectly okay. If they wanted me to help a 300 pound man into an oversized wheel chair I might have an issue. But usually in those circumstances, they'll call a couple techs over to help out.

Sorry, I guess I didn't really make it clear. But yeah, if the person is elderly I usually have to help them into the wheel chair as they can't do it themselves. But it's pretty much just being an arm for them to hold onto if they need help. I'm not a big guy. 5'8, 140 pounds. But a can support a grandma getting into a wheelchair.

I might also add they stress at our volunteering training they you'll be asked to do a lot of things. If you're ever uncomfortable with any of it, just say no and it's perfectly okay. If they wanted me to help a 300 pound man into an oversized wheel chair I might have an issue. But usually in those circumstances, they'll call a couple techs over to help out.

Cool. I am capable and don't mind doing it, I just feel like all of a sudden someone is going to go, "Stop, what the he** do you think your doing? You're not supposed to do that." etc.

Cool. I am capable and don't mind doing it, I just feel like all of a sudden someone is going to go, "Stop, what the he** do you think your doing? You're not supposed to do that." etc.

I hear what you're worried about. Again, I'd say if they asked you to do it, they don't have an issue with it. If you feel uncomfortable or think you might drop someone, don't do it. But if the patient is pretty well off and just asking for a hand and you know you're capable of being a steady post, I don't think anybody will have an issue with that. Because you'll probably be doing the exact same thing any tech or nurse would be doing.

I hear what you're worried about. Again, I'd say if they asked you to do it, they don't have an issue with it. If you feel uncomfortable or think you might drop someone, don't do it. But if the patient is pretty well off and just asking for a hand and you know you're capable of being a steady post, I don't think anybody will have an issue with that. Because you'll probably be doing the exact same thing any tech or nurse would be doing.

if you're not trained to move people, don't do it (aka no manhandling). i agree, though, that simply holding the wheel chair steady while the person sits themselves down is probably fine.

sometimes there is a disconnect between what volunteer services allows you to do (legally) and what a nurse/physician/tech will ask you to do. generally, the staff isn't knowledgable of what your role and responsiblities should be. just because a nurse is busy and asks you to do it doesn't make it kosher.

if you're not trained to move people, don't do it (aka no manhandling). i agree, though, that simply holding the wheel chair steady while the person sits themselves down is probably fine.

sometimes there is a disconnect between what volunteer services allows you to do (legally) and what a nurse/physician/tech will ask you to do. generally, the staff isn't knowledgable of what your role and responsiblities should be. just because a nurse is busy and asks you to do it doesn't make it kosher.

Legally, you (the volunteer) isn't liable for ****. The hospital is.

Legally, you (the volunteer) isn't liable for ****. The hospital is.

that was the point i was going for. perhaps my wording didn't convey this. although i'm sure the hospital could make you liable (or have some recourse against you) if you do something egregious (not that anyone is, just hypothetical).

that was the point i was going for. perhaps my wording didn't convey this. although i'm sure the hospital could have some recourse if you do something egregious (not that anyone is, just hypothetical).

Ok, I get what you're saying. But yeah, I'm not advocating anybody do something they're uncomfortable with. Like I said earlier, my volunteer training stressed saying no if you were uncomfortable with anything. But regardless, if I was wheeling an old lady out, and she was completely coherent and just asked for a hand. I didn't ask for a tech, I just held her hand and she sat in the chair and met her ride outside.

If you feel slightly uncomfortable, don't do it.

Ok, I get what you're saying. But yeah, I'm not advocating anybody do something they're uncomfortable with. Like I said earlier, my volunteer training stressed saying no if you were uncomfortable with anything. But regardless, if I was wheeling an old lady out, and she was completely coherent and just asked for a hand. I didn't ask for a tech, I just held her hand and she sat in the chair and met her ride outside.

If you feel slightly uncomfortable, don't do it.
Agreed.

Volunteers are important for hospital "customer service." A helpful, nice volunteer can make a hospital stay for a patient. You become the face of the hospital. FWIW, the hospital I work at uses a company to send surveys to ALL inpatients. Higher scores in these surveys obviously bode well for the hospital. Who knew that an EC activity for our apps actually means something to the hospitals, who will one day then employ us as physicians.

sorry for the funky quoting, user error.

I might also say my ER could be different. On valentines day, there was one other volunteer and me. We were so busy (3+ hour wait) that the triage nurse actually taught me to take vital signs (she asked one of us if we would volunteer). It was the coolest thing I've ever done volunteering. But my point is, maybe my hospital is less concerned with legality lol. But I think doing what you're comfortable with is the safest standard.

I might also say my ER could be different. On valentines day, there was one other volunteer and me. We were so busy (3+ hour wait) that the triage nurse actually taught me to take vital signs (she asked one of us if we would volunteer). It was the coolest thing I've ever done volunteering. But my point is, maybe my hospital is less concerned with legality lol. But I think doing what you're comfortable with is the safest standard.

you were there on valentine's day? bummer if there's a sig other.

it probably is hospital dependent. my hospital is a large county, obviously very concerned with maintaining funding and not having screw ups.

that sounds like a neat experience. thrown into the trenches. and yes, scut here we come! but at least we're optimistic at the moment.

you were there on valentine's day? bummer if there's a sig other.

it probably is hospital dependent. my hospital is a large county, obviously very concerned with maintaining funding and not having screw ups.

that sounds like a neat experience. thrown into the trenches. and yes, scut here we come! but at least we're optimistic at the moment.

It was soo awesome. Amazing experience to actually do real work as a volunteer. Anyways, my hospital is one of two in my county. New hanover county, NC. It's the smaller hospital out of the time. But I love my time there. 20 room ER.

And as for my significant other. I usually work a 12-3 on Sundays. Valentines day I went in for my usual shift and stayed an hour later (till 4pm) to help out. Still got out in time to take my girlfriend to an amazing dinner, shower her in gifts, and have freaky time ;).

It was soo awesome. Amazing experience to actually do real work as a volunteer. Anyways, my hospital is one of two in my county. New hanover county, NC. It's the smaller hospital out of the time. But I love my time there. 20 room ER.

And as for my significant other. I usually work a 12-3 on Sundays. Valentines day I went in for my usual shift and stayed an hour later (till 4pm) to help out. Still got out in time to take my girlfriend to an amazing dinner, shower her in gifts, and have freaky time ;).

haha very nicely done.

I used BVM on patients, put on ECG leads, pushed the gurney like 200 miles down to X-ray, and assisted with stitching up a scalp (by handling gauze) on my first day of volunteering. Oh and let's not forget restraining an intoxicated patient who tried to punch the nurse and RT.

But don't tell anybody. Doing actual scut work instead of "customer service" is pretty illegal in CA.

If you're uncomfortable with moving patients, there's actually a whole chapter on it in the EMT/CNA manual. In fact, if I recall correctly, all CNA's actually do is move patients.

I used BVM on patients, put on ECG leads, pushed the gurney like 200 miles down to X-ray, and assisted with stitching up a scalp (by handling gauze) on my first day of volunteering. Oh and let's not forget restraining an intoxicated patient who tried to punch the nurse and RT.

But don't tell anybody. Doing actual scut work instead of "customer service" is pretty illegal in CA.

If you're uncomfortable with moving patients, there's actually a whole chapter on it in the EMT/CNA manual. In fact, if I recall correctly, all CNA's actually do is move patients.

Yes, that is all they actually do. God, you're going to be such an ass for a Dr.

CNA's aren't allowed to perform invasive techniques, can't give medications, can't do wound care, can't perform any airway/O2 adjustments.

...So what would you say they actually do beside move patients? And by "move" I also include things like assist w/ ADL's and toilet.

"In the LTC I work for I am absolutely banned from touch the o2, dont even touch a wound, and if I was seen with a glucometer I would probably be stoned by the nurses" -from an actual CNA

This is why I got my EMT cert. instead... then I found out nobody wants to hire EMT's. Har, har.

Crap!... I was just trying to get you worked up by calling you an ass. :laugh:

CNA's can do different things in different places. Where I work we are allowed to get a "CNA II" certification which allows for some procedures. We set up O2, Bipap machines that have been preset, blood sugar's, assist with foley placement and D/C them on our own, bladder scans, can do some wound care if a nurse is present or if they trust us to do it right. We can also place restraints... which is bad ass. Just got to 4-point neoprenes tonight... schweeet!

Also, got to assist with nasal balloon placement, NG tube, and got to hold an arm for an ABG tonight... being a CNA is pretty badass on my floor (as long as the nurses like ya).

Last edited:
To the OP,

My normal job duties at the ER involve cleaning rooms (changing linen and disinfecting beds, removing and disposing of food, trash, urine), moving patients to beds, assisting patients to the restroom or where ever, restocking medical supplies in the rooms in addition to the supply closet, running samples to the lab, patient interaction (answering questions, providing food and drink) and restraining the drunks/druggies when they need a strong pimp slap across the face. I don’t know, maybe it is because I volunteer at a small ER (5-8 nurses, 2 Docs 2 PAs) that they have me doing a lot of hands on activities…great clinical exposure though like my hospital has me working as a free orderly.

The worst part is that I sometimes feel like I am overexposed but I follow the nurse/doctor leads on the level of protection to wear and I ALLWAYS wear gloves when dealing with bodily fluids. Plus, I wash my hands like 20 times during a 4 hour shift and they are bathed in Purell.

The most “interesting” experience up to date was when I had to assist a restrained (tried to resist arrest, fought a cop, and was claiming a neck injury) DUI patient who was strapped to a board and handcuff to the bed use the urinal. Since all the nurses were female that day…guess who was asked to pull his pants down and strategically “place” the urinal.

Even as a student I frequently defer to the nurses or CNA's when it comes to moving/transferring patients. I simply don't want to be the one blamed for a fall.

My volunteer position is identical to being a patient care tech. I do all the same things that they do, though if possible they will take the riskiest/grossest things. Its not always possible though: today I wheeled out a patient who's pickup person was their son, who is a personal injury lawyer in town! Yikes...

I even cleaned patients.....when they pooped....:oops:
CODE BROWN!! CALL THE JANITOR!!
nah, I do transprot, clean rooms, stock, and the portable urinals and these
urine%20cup.jpeg

to the soiled utility closet. I feel sorry for the people when it is Dark red (Ouch!)

PSA: PLEASE WEAR YOUR GLOVES (unlike person above)

I'm so glad that my volunteering experience didn't involve anything involving fecal matter, urine, blood, or vomit (except this one time...) I just wouldn't be able to do it.

The hospital i worked at called the events when patients had unfortunate accidents "code browns", at least it was a way to prepare myself for the sight/smell of it :D

I'm actually quite relieved reading these responses. I actually worked on a hospital floor for two years and wasn't allowed to do much in regards to touching patients, as I'm not a nurse, CNA, etc. I got plenty of patient interaction and experience in a clinical setting, but I read people on here talking about volunteering and shadowing doing things that I would never have been allowed to do and A, think it sounds entirely unsafe and B, feel like two years of busting my hump was totally inadequate.

But yeah, OP, if you're not comfortable doing something, don't do it.

I even cleaned patients.....when they pooped....:oops:

me too. in addition to feeding, bathing, helping to the bathroom, holding babies to sleep and feeding them, bagging bodies, some light transport, discharging ,breaking down charts, refilling waters, stocking etc. etc.

and yeah as a volunteer. The poop was the WORST. :barf:

me too. in addition to feeding, bathing, helping to the bathroom, holding babies to sleep and feeding them, bagging bodies, some light transport, discharging ,breaking down charts, refilling waters, stocking etc. etc.

and yeah as a volunteer. The poop was the WORST. :barf:
i volunteer at a level-1 trauma center and i def do things that are not right for me to be doing. For instance, helping lift critically injured patients off helipad, pull gunshot victims out of police cars/Drug ODs out of police cars and rush them into trauma while yelling for a nurse :D. Its an extremely busy inner-city hospital (~450 patients a day in the ER) and they are under-staffed to say the least. Extremely fun though! But scary bc i dont want to screw something up...

I'm so glad that my volunteering experience didn't involve anything involving fecal matter, urine, blood, or vomit (except this one time...) I just wouldn't be able to do it.

The hospital i worked at called the events when patients had unfortunate accidents "code browns", at least it was a way to prepare myself for the sight/smell of it :D

You're gonna have to get used to it sooner or later!

i volunteer at a level-1 trauma center and i def do things that are not right for me to be doing. For instance, helping lift critically injured patients off helipad, pull gunshot victims out of police cars/Drug ODs out of police cars and rush them into trauma while yelling for a nurse :D. Its an extremely busy inner-city hospital (~450 patients a day in the ER) and they are under-staffed to say the least. Extremely fun though! But scary bc i dont want to screw something up...

I think its fun when it is more active and you get to actually do things besides stocking. I will say though that nothing I do is not in my job description. I've never done anything "illegal" or not allowed by the hospital/volunteer program. In fact, the program I do emphasizes getting really hands on, feet wet, hands dirty (figuratively of course!).

I liked watching deliveries and csections on labor and delivery regularly too :)

I don't think transferring patients or transporting dirty linen sounds right as a volunteer. You could be personally liable if they fall while you are assisting with a transfer and I doubt the hospital will take any responsibility (since you aren't paid by them they are liable for you). I would check up with any information what they give you. If any documentation says you are not to transfer patients or transport dirty linen don't do it. It is not your responsibility.

Also transporting dirty linen is part of infection control which could also make you liable if anything were to happen.

I'm a CNA and I know for a fact that in my state and every state there are laws about who can do what. And I know in Minnesota health care facilities do not allow volunteers to transfer patients. Usually a proper transfer involves the use of a transfer belt and a special technique. I also know as a CNA that a lot of times these rules aren't necessarily followed but they are laws.

So no from a legal stand point what you're doing isn't right. Unless they have given you proper training for transfers I think they aren't following the legal code. I'm sure your state health department will have better information on this since laws vary state to state.

All I can say is CNAs do a hell lot more than just transfer patients. We're basically each patient's personal slave. We wake them up in the morning when they are crabby, bring them to the restroom (sometimes empty catheters/colostomies), wash them up (that includes every abdominal fold), get them dressed (to their perfection of course), listen to them (maybe Doctors can learn to do that more often), bring them to their meals, toilet them again, lay them down for a nap, get them up, toilet them again, bring them where they need to go, toilet them when they need to go (in a nursing home setting it can seem to be every five minutes). We do bathing, feeding, everything. We also can get other duties like light housekeeping, making changing beds, transporting linens, organizing whatever it is the patient needs. Reporting behaviors, etc to the nurse. After slaving away and the patient complaining of the pain they are in blah blah blah the CNA goes to the nurse reports the pain and sees if the pt is able to get a pain pill. Then the nurse sweeps in drops off a pain pill watches the pt swallow it ducks out and who gets all the credit for making them happy? The nurse. They are so grateful that the nurse brought them a pain pill. What about being grateful for me meeting every other basic need you need to survive?

Anyways enough of my rant. I know that CNAs get the worse grunt work and usually the least amount of credit. But it's those pts that say thank you that make you love your job as a CNA. Also I love the personal relationships you form with each pt that most doctors and nurses lack. I become emotionally attached to each and every one of my pts and I care for them as I would my family. I take interests in their lives and usually they take interest in mine. Being a CNA isn't just a patient/caregiver role it's also involves friendships with many of the pts.

Last edited:
You're gonna have to get used to it sooner or later!

I guess I got lucky with my program that we didn't have to do that, there was another program where you pretty much are on body excretion clean up duty. I guess I should start looking into that :D

All I can say is CNAs do a hell lot more than just transfer patients. We're basically each patient's personal slave. We wake them up in the morning when they are crabby, bring them to the restroom (sometimes empty catheters/colostomies), wash them up (that includes every abdominal fold), get them dressed (to their perfection of course), listen to them (maybe Doctors can learn to do that more often), bring them to their meals, toilet them again, lay them down for a nap, get them up, toilet them again, bring them where they need to go, toilet them when they need to go (in a nursing home setting it can seem to be every five minutes). We do bathing, feeding, everything. We also can get other duties like light housekeeping, making changing beds, transporting linens, organizing whatever it is the patient needs. Reporting behaviors, etc to the nurse. After slaving away and the patient complaining of the pain they are in blah blah blah the CNA goes to the nurse reports the pain and sees if the pt is able to get a pain pill. Then the nurse sweeps in drops off a pain pill watches the pt swallow it ducks out and who gets all the credit for making them happy? The nurse. They are so grateful that the nurse brought them a pain pill. What about being grateful for me meeting every other basic need you need to survive?

Anyways enough of my rant. I know that CNAs get the worse grunt work and usually the least amount of credit. But it's those pts that say thank you that make you love your job as a CNA. Also I love the personal relationships you form with each pt that most doctors and nurses lack. I become emotionally attached to each and every one of my pts and I care for them as I would my family. I take interests in their lives and usually they take interest in mine. Being a CNA isn't just a patient/caregiver role it's also involves friendships with many of the pts.

The only reason I'm not going into nursing is because of my CNA work... I will wipe no more butts one day and I like knowing that. Soon I will be able to walk into a room and if I smell a funk or see crazyness going on I'll be just like the other docs here and walk out and return when the smell is more tolerable and the room is clean... if I even go into a field with old people... I'm getting a little sick of em and with what's being done with medicare the younger population may be where it's at.

Shoot, on my first day they had me float a swan :rolleyes: