This is posted on the board in my lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
The title had so much potential for alliterative shenanigans

"Duodenal Delivery of Donor Dung for Disturbingly Dogged Clostridium difficile" :laugh:

In all seriousness, this is a great success story :thumbup:. I remember watching a CNN clip about this a couple of months ago.

Yeah, the surgeon I shadowed two summers ago also mentioned that this was sometimes a course of action if a course of Flagyl didn't do the trick. No thanks, give me the drugs.

i wonder why they infused into the duodenum instead of farther down. isn't everything ahead of the ic sphincter supposed to be kind of sterile? or is that why they did it there?

i wonder why they infused into the duodenum instead of farther down. isn't everything ahead of the ic sphincter supposed to be kind of sterile? or is that why they did it there?

"There is no clear (or evidence-based) consensus regarding the most appropriate form of delivery for the fecal microbiota transplant. There have been successful results, defined as clearance of diarrhea, or negative C. difficile toxin assays, with FMT administered to the proximal colon via colonoscope, the distal lower GI tract via enema/rectal tube, and the upper GI tract via nasogastric (NG) tube/gastroscope"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3491681/

my old micro professor told us they did this for c. diff, but her terms were "fecal transplant" haha..this sounds so much better

Yep, I heard the same term in med bacteriology.