This is Really Worrying Me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willR

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I heard that med schools do a background check, and this is really worrying me. Because I have a couple D.U.I's (yeah more than one), both within a couple months of each other. I was young and defiant, but since then I've opened my eyes and turned my life around. I went to college (currently)and got involved in the community, I haven't been in any trouble since then. I really want to be a doctor, and will do anything to achieve it, my determination is real strong. I feel as though my past is destroying my dreams. I have excellent grades, and extensive extracurricular activities i.e volunteering etc.. Could someone give me some information on the background check, and some advice.

Thank you, Will

Members don't see this ad.

There was a thread about this quite recently. Try checking the archives..I hope you find it
biggrin.gif

haha...you are funny..

drunken doctor....puahahahah
medical school likes thats trust me..

The confused freshman...+P

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by popoman:
haha...you are funny..

haha.. you are funny..

stupid person....puahahahah

MD2BE

willR,

After high school I took some time off and explored the world. While doing so I was arrested for possession of marijuana. I have felt the same way as you, that my past was going to ruin my future. However, after lots of hard work, both at school and in the community, here I sit ready to apply to med school this summer.

The choice that I made was to have the charges expunged from my record. Mots schools ask if you have any felonies or misdemeanors on your record. from what I understand, with a felony it is extremely difficult or impossible to become a licensed physician; so med schools want to know that you will be able to go on and practice. However, misdemeanors are not so bad. Some schools ask if you have ever been charged with a crime and also to include any offenses that have been expungned form your record. However, most just ask you to list your criminal record. If it has been expunged you are required by law not to claim that you have a record.

So anyway, this process might work for you. Check with your district court on the process for your state. Here, it was easy. they do a background check, make sure you have passed the mandatory time period(usually 3-5 years, depending on offense) and you fill out some forms, pay a fee and boom, a new record. Hope this helps.

And if you've truly changed your ways, and have made significant changes since that time that are documented (job, grades, volunteering, etc.), then you can likely make an excellent case during an interview about what the experience taught you and the maturity you've developed since. Turn it into a positive.

Originally posted by popoman:
haha...you are funny..

You're an idiot.