This worries me, should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MrAnonymous, Nov 16, 2000.

1. MrAnonymous

MrAnonymous Senior Member

I am reflecting on an interview I had awhile ago but I don't want to say where. My interviewer was very nice and hit we hit off really well, but then she made this remark. "Too bad you aren't an underrepresented minority". I know that the person interviewed before me was African American and I know my interview was incredibly strong but why would she say such a thing. She was praising me on various points but her praises were very strong leading me think I would be accepted. She says I was a stronger candidate than others she has seen. I am wondering if there's a quota for every school to accept underrepresented minorities and when saying that, my chances dropped? I have pondered on this for months...

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Methuselah

Methuselah Senior Member

Obviously, she shouldn't of said that, but I'm sure you already know that schools are under a lot of pressure to admit URMs. If there's any doubt in your mind as to this, I refer you to the AAMC website, where you can read about the 3000 by 2000 program. My advice to you is: don't worry about things outside of your control. You did you best & your interviewer liked you. Good Luck.

4. Doc Oc

Doc Oc Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Some interviewers purposely make comments like that to see if they can make you mad or get you going, or even to see if you are prejudiced or not. I had an interview at one school where it seemed like their goal was to piss me off. it didn't work, but I still didn't feel that the interview went well. Nonetheless, I got an acceptance from that school today. So i wouldn't think your chances are less because of that comment, perhaps it was a test, which it sound like you passed [​IMG]