This year's applicants are amazing!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

JR

We just had our first round of applicant's interviews and I have to admit these people are amazing! I can't even imagine how hard it is for the faculty to put together that rank list. Long-term research committment, multiple pubs, board scores that are off the charts (in some cases I did not even know it went up so high!), etc., etc. Good job everyone.

I am just glad I don't have to compete with you all for admission ;)

Members don't see this ad.

LOL, way to stress out all of this year's applicants . . . "your competition is amazing! I hope you have multiple pubs and stellar board scores!"

I'm glad I don't have to compete w/ them either :)

I'll be sure to tell my husband that when he's supporting me through another year of applications next year!

Honestly, I'm getting very discouraged. MD/PhD with pubs/review chapter in Ophtho and 2 interviews. :(

I'm starting to think about a postdoc after internship with every passing day of no news...

Iris

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I didn't mean it that way! Keep in mind that match rate for US seniors is in high-80s percentile-wise. MOST PEOPLE WILL MATCH and go on to become great ophthalmologists!

Applicants have been very strong in ophthalmology in the last 5 years... or at least when I started applying... ;) just joking... :)

It's really cool to meet some of you eventually. I also find that applicants on this board are VERY strong.

Good luck! Don't worry about JR... he's just getting over the shock that Wilmer allowed him to do residency there! ;)

Andrew_Doan said:
Applicants have been very strong in ophthalmology in the last 5 years... or at least when I started applying... ;) just joking... :)

It's really cool to meet some of you eventually. I also find that applicants on this board are VERY strong.

Good luck! Don't worry about JR... he's just getting over the shock that Wilmer allowed him to do residency there! ;)
:D :D :D

JR said:
Hey, I didn't mean it that way! Keep in mind that match rate for US seniors is in high-80s percentile-wise. MOST PEOPLE WILL MATCH and go on to become great ophthalmologists!
You are right that match rate for us seniors is 80%. How about our FMG with high scores (both steps top 5%) and long publication lists (some in the top journals) (ARVO abstract look good just for us seniors) and residency training back home country. It seems like that only one option left-give up (but my heart is bleeding). Good luck to your guys.

It is my understanding, and this is not based on anything other than conversational hearsay, that programs prefer applicants who have NOT previously completed an ophtho residency elsewhere... Something to do with the ol' blank slate theory of teaching...

brendang said:
It is my understanding, and this is not based on anything other than conversational hearsay, that programs prefer applicants who have NOT previously completed an ophtho residency elsewhere... Something to do with the ol' blank slate theory of teaching...

This is true, particularly when there are numerous well qualified graduating seniors.