thoracic surg onc rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluelamin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys
ms4 here
any advice on texts/books i can read to prep for a thoracic surg onc rotation I have coming up?
or advice in general on how to perform well during the rotation? (apart from know your patients, anatomy, etc.)

Members don't see this ad.

For surgical technique, looking at youtube is actually pretty worthwhile. There are good example videos for many VATS and robotic procedures available. CTSNet has several produced through them that have various experts in the field doing the surgery.

You might also browse through this site. You may find some helpful info: TSDA

As far as performing well, knowing your patients/anatomy is always good. Also show that the residents can rely on you to do things that need to be done. That will go a long way for you.

Reactions: 1 users
I've always found thoracic anatomy can be quite challenging if you aren't doing it all the time. It might be worthwhile to try to find some youtube videos, particularly of robotic surgery (presuming that your surgeons will be doing robot stuff) where you see the anatomy the way your surgeons are going to see it in real life. The textbook 2D images just translated very poorly for me - that may just be me, but I don't think so. No one is probably expecting you to memorize lymph node stations, but being able to have a working knowledge of pointing out the cava, the azygous, knowing some variants on the subclavian/innominate, some lower neck anatomy, where you can anticipate the thoracic duct, and correctly identifying all of the pulmonary vasculature and bronchus anatomy would look incredibly impressive from a medical student and even an early year resident.

Would also maybe watch a video of a bronchoscopy that details what the anatomy looks like from the inside. That would be a slick way to show off too.

Reactions: 2 users