Those applying to 2015 DPT programs this year...What are your stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dannibambi

Physical Therapist
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, what are your current stats like? I'm hoping to apply this summer to get into one of six DPT programs in Southern California, and I'd love to get a feel for other students' stats and also make some acquaintances along the way :)

My Stats
University: CSUSB
Major: Kinesiology (Pre-PT Concentration)
Overall GPA: 3.43
Pre-Req GPA: Not sure, but I think it is a 3.2 because of all of my B's :-(
GRE: Taking in June. Most recent practice score around 300 but keeps improving.
Extra-Curric: Kinesiology Student Association Club, Community Outreach Program Club, Disability Swimming Coach
Volunteer/ Observation Hours: 0 (calling and waiting for call-backs)

I know my pre-req GPA and volunteer hours are terrible. I will be graduating in March 2015 but I am thinking about waiting a year to apply and going back to retake Anatomy & Physiology I and II/Chemistry II and Physics I, to see if I can bump up some of my B's up to A's. If I do, I think my pre-req GPA would go up to about a 3.5 or 3.6.

Anyways, what are your stats? Where are you planning on applying?

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying this year!

My stats:

University: American Public University, MGH Institute of Health Professions
Major: Political Science (was law school bound)
Overall GPA: 3.52
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8ish
GRE: Low, 143ish on both
Extra-Curric: The International Diplomacy Club, International Brain Injury Association, Brain Injury Association of Florida, Ohana-Multiculural Student Club, Epilepsy Foundation of Florida, Pi Gamma Mu International Honor Society, and Political Science Scholar.
Volunteer/ Observation Hours: 250ish

My application will be broad. I have casted a wide range of schools since my GRE is low and I am applying to most schools that do not require the GRE except for 3 schools. Good luck to you!

There is a sticky with this information.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying this year!

My stats:

Extra-Curric: The International Diplomacy Club, International Brain Injury Association, Brain Injury Association of Florida, Ohana-Multiculural Student Club, Epilepsy Foundation of Florida, Pi Gamma Mu International Honor Society, and Political Science Scholar.

My application will be broad. I have casted a wide range of schools since my GRE is low and I am applying to most schools that do not require the GRE except for 3 schools. Good luck to you!
Thank you, and good luck! I think your chances of getting accepted to multiple schools are very good, based on your stats. :)

Reactions: 1 user
There is a sticky with this information.
Thank you for your comment; I read that sticky quite often, but those people have already applied, and I wanted to hear specifically from people who are going to apply in the upcoming cycle (this year for the 2015/2016 entering class).

I am applying this year!

My stats:

Honestly, I feel if you retake the GRE and get a higher score, your options for schools will open up a ton, since everything else is pretty good. You still have time to take GREs too, I remember I didn't take mine until the August of the cycle I applied for the first time.

Honestly, I feel if you retake the GRE and get a higher score, your options for schools will open up a ton, since everything else is pretty good. You still have time to take GREs too, I remember I didn't take mine until the August of the cycle I applied for the first time.

I concur. Unless one plans to apply to schools that do not require the GRE, I would place applicants' with sub 150/150 chances as low.

Applying this cycle!

University: State University of New York College at Oneonta

Major: Human Biology, Pre-PT concentration.

Overall GPA: 3.41

Pre-req GPA: Depending on the school, ~3.3-3.5

GRE Scores: 159 V, 156 Q, 3.5 AW (I know my AW sucks. Botched one of the questions and answered it the wrong way. Should be way higher. Will retake).
Extracurricular: BeFIT Fitness Club- CoFounder/Running Director, Saratoga Stryders Men's Racing Team (Compete in everything 5k's through marathons), Beta Beta Beta Bio National Honor Society, Anatomy & Physiology Teaching Assistant, Volunteer Youth Track and Field Coach, Pre-Health Club, Hall Government E-Board, Intramural Soccer, Summer Camp Unit Leader (summer work).

Volunteer/Shadowing Hours: at ~70 right now (40 outpatient private practice, 30 pediatrics at an elementary school). Gaining 8 hours inpatient at a nursing home this summer (the max that they allow at that site), will be returning to the outpatient practice I was at last summer, and will also be gaining hours at a hospital site this summer. Should crack 100 hours by July very easily.

Letters of Rec: 1 from my A&P professor that I am very close with, 2 from PT's that know me very well (one in peds and one who owns their own outpatient practice).

I plan on applying to most of the following: SUNY Upstate, Stony Brook, Sage, SUNY Downstate, Franklin Pierce NH, Simmons, MGH, MCPHS, Drexel, Arcadia, UCONN, Univ. of New England, Shenandoah, Lynchburg, George Washington U, Georgia Regents, Emory.

Really wide net, I know. I'm graduating a semester early though and will have the money to apply wherever I want to do my best to ensure a favorable outcome.

I'm scared to death. I feel like I have a decent enough GPA but my strongest aspects are my well-roundedness as a person, my passion for PT, and my personality. I know, I know, everyone says that, but I really believe that if I can get interviews I will be able to prove myself. My letters of rec and personal statement should help get that through hopefully.

One thing to note: I am up in the air on applying Early Decision to Sage. I live right near Sage, could live at home and save a ton of money, and my school has an articulation agreement with them. From what I have heard, as long as you meet their minimum requirements (3.25 overall and pre-req GPA), you are as good as in if you have the articulation plan. They fill 90% of their seats internally and through the articulation plan so if I don't go ED I might as well not even apply. I'm just scared of applying, not getting in, and being screwed by applying so late to other places. Also, I have a great home situation but kind of am used to living on my own at this point and don't want to end up stuck in the Albany area for the rest of my life by choosing Sage and just staying put after graduating...Stony Brook, Upstate, and Downstate would all be pretty cheap and I could live away still. But it is a risk...

University: University of Maryland University College
Major: Psychology
Minor: Biology
Overall GPA: 3.7
Pre-Req GPA: 3.6
GRE: V:151 Q: 148 AW: 4.0

Extra-Curric: Wounded Warrior Project, Red Cross, Relay for Life, Alpha Sigma Lambda Tau Chapter Honor Society

Volunteer: Inpatient (120 hours/nursing home), Outpatient (50 Hours/private practice), Aquatics (20 hours), and hopefully Pediatrics and Ortho by the end of the summer.

I am going to be applying to USD, UNF, UCF, Shenendoah, Chatham, NOVA Southeastern, and a few more but I haven't decided where yet. My GRE score isn't perfect but hopefully I get excepted this upcoming cycle!

So it begins.

Clemson University
Major: Animal and Veterinary Sciences
Minor: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.94
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: TBA; taking in June

Extra-Curric: Undergraduate Research, Women's Varsity Rowing, Club Swimming, Equine-Assisted Therapy, Pre-Allied Health Club, University Lifeguard
Volunteer/Observation Hours: ~50 outpatient ortho/hand/aquatic

Still trying to nail down my list of schools, but I'll definitely be applying to MUSC and possibly Duke, GWU, Northwestern, Rosalind Franklin, VCU, Washington U and maybe a few more. Right now I'm working on getting neuro and inpatient shadowing hours and trying to motivate myself to study for the GRE.

Good luck everyone!

CSULB class of 2015 as well!

will be applying this summer.

stats:

Athletic training major

Cumm. GPA- 3.52-3.6 (depending on how i do on finals this week)
Pre-req GPA: 3.59-3.83 depending on the school

Gre- have not taken as of yet

150 outpatient
30 home health aide
will prob volunteer at the va hospital

extra-curricular : Preseason Chicago Bears Athletic Training/ Physical therapist Intern

Final UPDATE.

University: BYU-Idaho
Major: Exercise Physiology
Overall GPA: 3.46
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.2 ish
GRE: V:152 Q:153 W: 3 2nd: V:154 Q:153 W: 3
Extra-Curric: Turkey Trot volunteer, Teton DAm Marathon volunteer, RUSH Triathalon volunteer, Pre-Physical Therapy Society
Volunteer/ Observation Hours: Outpatient-365 (100 volunteer, 265 paid tech), Inpatient-41.5 (included whirlpool, wound-care and pool therapy.)

Rejections:Nova, UT Southwestern, Rocky Mountain University, Touro University(Nevada) and Midwestern University.

Still waiting on TTUHSC (people have been getting accepted for the last month, not much hope.), A.T.Still (Same as previous), University of Utah and Eastern Washington.

Tapping out of this round. Maybe next year. Good Luck Guys.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Applying this cycle!

University: State University of New York College at Oneonta

Major: Human Biology, Pre-PT concentration.

Overall GPA: 3.41

Pre-req GPA: Depending on the school, ~3.3-3.5

GRE Scores: 159 V, 156 Q, 3.5 AW (I know my AW sucks. Botched one of the questions and answered it the wrong way. Should be way higher. Will retake).
Extracurricular: BeFIT Fitness Club- CoFounder/Running Director, Saratoga Stryders Men's Racing Team (Compete in everything 5k's through marathons), Beta Beta Beta Bio National Honor Society, Anatomy & Physiology Teaching Assistant, Volunteer Youth Track and Field Coach, Pre-Health Club, Hall Government E-Board, Intramural Soccer, Summer Camp Unit Leader (summer work).

Volunteer/Shadowing Hours: at ~70 right now (40 outpatient private practice, 30 pediatrics at an elementary school). Gaining 8 hours inpatient at a nursing home this summer (the max that they allow at that site), will be returning to the outpatient practice I was at last summer, and will also be gaining hours at a hospital site this summer. Should crack 100 hours by July very easily.

Letters of Rec: 1 from my A&P professor that I am very close with, 2 from PT's that know me very well (one in peds and one who owns their own outpatient practice).

I plan on applying to most of the following: SUNY Upstate, Stony Brook, Sage, SUNY Downstate, Franklin Pierce NH, Simmons, MGH, MCPHS, Drexel, Arcadia, UCONN, Univ. of New England, Shenandoah, Lynchburg, George Washington U, Georgia Regents, Emory.

Really wide net, I know. I'm graduating a semester early though and will have the money to apply wherever I want to do my best to ensure a favorable outcome.

I'm scared to death. I feel like I have a decent enough GPA but my strongest aspects are my well-roundedness as a person, my passion for PT, and my personality. I know, I know, everyone says that, but I really believe that if I can get interviews I will be able to prove myself. My letters of rec and personal statement should help get that through hopefully.

One thing to note: I am up in the air on applying Early Decision to Sage. I live right near Sage, could live at home and save a ton of money, and my school has an articulation agreement with them. From what I have heard, as long as you meet their minimum requirements (3.25 overall and pre-req GPA), you are as good as in if you have the articulation plan. They fill 90% of their seats internally and through the articulation plan so if I don't go ED I might as well not even apply. I'm just scared of applying, not getting in, and being screwed by applying so late to other places. Also, I have a great home situation but kind of am used to living on my own at this point and don't want to end up stuck in the Albany area for the rest of my life by choosing Sage and just staying put after graduating...Stony Brook, Upstate, and Downstate would all be pretty cheap and I could live away still. But it is a risk...

I am currently in your situation regarding the early decision process. Although it sounds tempting to apply to just one school and perhaps show them your commitment to that school if accepted, I honestly feel you would be better suited applying early than early decision. From all the schools that i've talked to, if you are good enough to apply early decision, then it will not make much of a difference when applying early. If you want to be certain, I would send an email to the director of that program and ask about your chances on admission with regards to your stats. Include also a question on whether or not early decision is in your best interest versus simply applying early.

I am currently in your situation regarding the early decision process. Although it sounds tempting to apply to just one school and perhaps show them your commitment to that school if accepted, I honestly feel you would be better suited applying early than early decision. From all the schools that i've talked to, if you are good enough to apply early decision, then it will not make much of a difference when applying early. If you want to be certain, I would send an email to the director of that program and ask about your chances on admission with regards to your stats. Include also a question on whether or not early decision is in your best interest versus simply applying early.

Yeah, it is definitely a lot to chew on. My opinion to this point has been that I would be better off simply applying early everywhere than ED to one school.

However, I actually have already reached out to the head of the department at Sage and she told me with my stats I would be extremely competitive ED, almost a sure thing. But, applying regular decision I would be far less competitive since they fill 90% of their seats with Early Decision and internal apps.

University: BYU
Overall GPA: 3.89
Pre-Req GPA: 3.96
GRE: Taking in June. Pre-tests - Quant: 162 Verbal: 162
Extra-Curric: Anatomy TA, Wilderness Survival TA, Editor for local Psychology Association website and newsletter, Capstone and Continuing research through my university in the field of Stress Psychobiology
Observation Hours: 40 inpatient, 15 (50 by the time I apply) outpatient, Starting to volunteer home health soon, will get at least 15 from that too

Applying Early Decision to CU Denver. That's really the place I want to go. Have been in touch with the admissions director and she sounds really interested in me as an applicant. If I don't get in, Applying to all schools in Washington, Idaho, Colorado, and Texas.

I think you should wait a year and gain some meaningful observation hours (Learn/observe the different types of PT settings, build a relationship with the physical therapist you're shadowing, and etc...).
Unless, you meet an awesome PT that helps you out in a short period of time...Good for you.
Why do you want to be a PT?

I think you should wait a year and gain some meaningful observation hours (Learn/observe the different types of PT settings, build a relationship with the physical therapist you're shadowing, and etc...).
Unless, you meet an awesome PT that helps you out in a short period of time...Good for you.
Why do you want to be a PT?
You might want to click on the reply button next to the post you are replying to to help clarify.

Okay, but not to be rude, your replies still don't make any sense.
I don't care if I didn't click on the reply button. It seems to me that everybody that is involved in this thread will receive an alert message and will read it. Just like you did. Which replies do you want me to clarify?

I don't care if I didn't click on the reply button. It seems to me that everybody that is involved in this thread will receive an alert message and will read it. Just like you did. Which replies do you want me to clarify?
Who you were speaking to in your first post when you said "I think you should wait a year..."

Last edited:
Who you were speaking to in your first post when you said "I think you should wait a year..."
I'm glad that I didn't continue to my undergrad at BYU. I wouldn't want to meet a hardheaded person like you.

I'm glad that I didn't continue to my undergrad at BYU. I wouldn't want to meet a hardheaded person like you.
I'm sorry you feel that way. I in no way intended to offend you or come off as hard-headed. I sincerely was confused by who you were talking to in your first reply because it wasn't technically directed at anyone. I'm now assuming it was directed at me. I wish I could actually show you I'm being sincere but writing kindof sucks in that way. And just FYI, I personally hate BYU and Utah in general and that's one of the reasons I've decided to apply out of state only.

But I wish the best to you and I appreciate your feedback and I while I don't believe I need an extra year to do more volunteering, I will definitely take a closer look at why I want to be a Physical Therapist, why it is for me, and how I can better prepare myself for Grad school.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I in no way intended to offend you or come off as hard-headed. I sincerely was confused by who you were talking to in your first reply because it wasn't technically directed at anyone. I'm now assuming it was directed at me. I wish I could actually show you I'm being sincere but writing kindof sucks in that way. And just FYI, I personally hate BYU and Utah in general and that's one of the reasons I've decided to apply out of state only.

But I wish the best to you and I appreciate your feedback and I while I don't believe I need an extra year to do more volunteering, I will definitely take a closer look at why I want to be a Physical Therapist, why it is for me, and how I can better prepare myself for Grad school.

My message was intended to the creator of this thread. I'm pretty sure she read my message and it's not that hard to figure it out.
On top of that, her and others may be laughing at our convo. Which I'm laughing at it as well.

You should create your own thread for feedbacks. I would agree that you don't need an extra year to gain observation hours.

My message was intended to the creator of this thread. I'm pretty sure she read my message and it's not that hard to figure it out.
On top of that, her and others may be laughing at our convo. Which I'm laughing at it as well.

You should create your own thread for feedbacks. I would agree that you don't need an extra year to gain observation hours.
Ahhh, that makes sense now. I was just confused because she wasn't actually asking for any advice in her posts (still not trying to be rude) so it wasn't super obvious to me who your comment was aimed at. Must be all the studying for Verbal Reasoning part of the GRE and concentrating on the technicalities of writing that confused me, haha.

Sorry for the confusion and best of wishes :)

I'm applying this year as well...

University: University of Oregon
Major: Human Physiology & Psychology (2 degrees one is a B.A. and one a B.S.)
Overall GPA: 4.04 (you can go over a 4.0 at my school if you get A+'s in harder classes)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.9
GRE: Taking them next month. Hopefully I'll do okay, I'm usually good at taking tests. I'll update this if I remember once I have.

Extra-Curric: I'm non-trad (in my 30's) so I don't have a lot of extra time since I work almost full time, but I try to volunteer with a computer science for kids organization, worked in homeless outreach in the past, volunteered with local roller derby league etc.

Volunteer: Same situation with hours for shadowing PT's. By the end of this month I'll have about 100 outpatient in various clinics and I am about to start at a neurology center in a hospital and an inpatient clinic next month. Hoping to have at least 150 hours before I start to apply.

I am going to be applying to USC, Duke, Columbia, University of Delaware, Pacific University, University of Washington, Northwestern and University of Vermont. It's kind of a lot I know, but I'm worried I won't get in so I'm going to try to put in a lot of apps. We'll see if I actually do once I start the application process though. ;)

University: University of Kansas
Major: Exercise Science (Pre-PT)
Here are my statistics:

GPA: 3.58

GRE: 151 Q 146 V

Work Experience: I have worked as a Technician for an outpatient PT company for over a year now, year-round.

200 observation hours in 3 different settings

My recommendation letters should be very good from PT's i have worked with and know.

I am involved in a variety activities including two honor societies, four fraternities (one philanthropy, one pre health, one academic, and one regular). I have done a decent amount of volunteering through the philanthropy fraternity.

If anyone has suggestions for if I should retake the GRE or not I would appreciate it. I studied for 4-5 months but just didn't deliver on test day.

Any advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks

My Stats
University: Sonoma State
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.0
Pre-Req GPA: About 3.3, but depends on the school
GRE: Taking it this summer.
Extra-Curric: Work as a personal trainer ~1 year, Working for a corporate fitness company, TRX certification, Volunteer work starting and teaching a stretching class at a senior living home and Sorority.
Volunteer: 120 hours in 2 different outpatient setting. Will do my inpatient hours around the time of application (The hospital program was full Spring & Summer!)

I do plan on retaking a 5 unit Chemistry B class either in the Summer or Fall. Hopefully that will bump my GPA up.

Hi folks - I'm applying this year as well.

University: University of Washington
Major: 2 degrees, one in anthropology and one in dance
Overall GPA: 3.6
Pre-Req GPA: 3.6 - depending on the school
GRE: Q: 150, V: 164 A.W. 5.5
Extras: Not much currently - I do work and am finishing up my prerequisites this summer/fall, not much extra time between that and observation hours. I train in and am an assistant instructor in karate, and do sporadic volunteer work for a kid's organization. Until returning to school in the fall, I worked at an insurance company dealing with the medical/treatment side of auto accidents.
Observation Hours: 60 currently, mostly outpatient and aquatherapy. I will have ~150 by application time, but need to diversify my settings.

I'm applying to University of Washington, University of Puget Sound, Regis University, Northern Arizona University, University of Minnesota, and Washington University. I may apply to one additional school, but haven't made up my mind yet.

Last edited:
University: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2012)
Minor: Molecular Cell Biology
Overall GPA: 3.25
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4
GRE: V:151 Q: 151 AW: 3.0

Volunteer: Inpatient (350 hours/rehab hospital), Outpatient (40 Hours/ortho clinic), Day Rehab (160 hours/rehab hospital)
Relevant Work: TA for Human Anatomy at a local community college, just started a rehab tech position at an outpatient ortho clinic

I'm applying to Northwestern, WUSTL, UIC, UFlorida, UWashington, Midwestern DG, RFUMS . I know my GRE score isn't great, on test day my timing was off. Now i've got a very serious study schedule and i'm retaking in 6 weeks. I'm not sure how I messed up the AW, any tips for writing practice?

Best of luck with apps!

Applying this cycle

University- UNLV
Major- Kinesiology and Public Health
Overall GPA : 3.52
Pre-req GPA: 3.4-3.5 ( depending on school)

GRE: 155 q 154v

Observation : 3000+ outpatient, 25 inpatient, 10 pediatrics

Applying to tons of schools but hoping to get into University of St. Augustine !

University- Auburn University
Major- Exercise Science
Overall GPA : 3.45
Pre-req GPA: unsure (probably a 3.3)
GRE: scheduled to take June 25th
Observation : will have over 100 at the end of this month. Have hours divided over orthopedic, outpatient, inpatient, pediatrics, nuero, and athletics.
Extracurricular: student-athlete (Auburn gymnastics team), resident assistant for two years, undergraduate teacher assistant in human anatomy and physiology labs, helped with biomechanics research, gymnastics coach, camp mountaintop (day camp for kids with special needs) volunteer, children and youth volunteer in local church, and have been to Uganda twice on mission trips to volunteer in school in a village.

Applying: MUSC, USC Columbia, Western Carolina University, Mercer, Georgia Regents, University of South Alabama, UMC Jackson, UNTSC Fort Worth

Really nervous about starting this process. Still some holes I need to fill as far as GRE and finishing observation hours. Any comments or advice about what I have to offer and if they would be accepted by these programs would be appreciated. Good luck to everyone applying this round!

Applying this cycle:

University- UCF
Major- Health Science

Overall GPA : 3.5
Pre-req GPA: 3.7

GRE: 152q 147v

Observation : 125 outpatient, 10 pediatrics

Applying to the University of St. Augustine Dual program.

DPT41

What do you like about the dual program? I thought about doing that as well but decided to apply for the DPT program.

DPT41

What do you like about the dual program? I thought about doing that as well but decided to apply for the DPT program.

After observing in both professions I couldn't decide which to lean fully toward. Thus, I was originally drawn to the uniqueness of the program, not to mention St. Augustine is relatively close to my hometown (about 2 hours away). I thought it sounded great but soon began to wonder why no other school offered it. So I did some research. Ultimately, I found that the common belief was that since you can only practice as either an OT or a PT that the degree was more of a redundancy (gimmick if you will) then anything. While I can see how for most people this degree wouldn't be useful, my goal is to open my own clinic and believe that having both degrees would be worth it's weight in gold, not only in knowledge, but for patients to be assured that I hold a degree in both settings. Also, I prefer rural settings and clinics outside of bigger cities can't always afford both an OT and a PT, in this case I would be valuable to them. Even after I state my case people are still always telling me that it's a waste of time/money. But you asked, so that's my story lol.

Th
After observing in both professions I couldn't decide which to lean fully toward. Thus, I was originally drawn to the uniqueness of the program, not to mention St. Augustine is relatively close to my hometown (about 2 hours away). I thought it sounded great but soon began to wonder why no other school offered it. So I did some research. Ultimately, I found that the common belief was that since you can only practice as either an OT or a PT that the degree was more of a redundancy (gimmick if you will) then anything. While I can see how for most people this degree wouldn't be useful, my goal is to open my own clinic and believe that having both degrees would be worth it's weight in gold, not only in knowledge, but for patients to be assured that I hold a degree in both settings. Also, I prefer rural settings and clinics outside of bigger cities can't always afford both an OT and a PT, in this case I would be valuable to them. Even after I state my case people are still always telling me that it's a waste of time/money. But you asked, so that's my story lol.

Those are great reasons. Also I feel like it would be beneficial for teaching

I'm applying this year, too! These boards have been insanely helpful as I've been getting ready to apply.

University: University of Florida
Major: Industrial & Systems Engineering (graduated in 2007, this is a career change for me!)
Overall GPA: ~3.3 (I graduated with a 3.1 from UF, but have brought that up a good bit with the pre-reqs I have taken since).
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8
GRE: 161 V / 162 Q / 5.0 AW

Extra-Curric: I'm also non-trad, so I agree that there's not a ton of extra time with a full-time job, taking pre-reqs, and getting in observation hours. I'm on the board of a non-profit that works with orphanages in Haiti, and I've also done some occasional volunteering with Special Olympics

Volunteer: It took a long time to get this started - literally 5 months of talking to the volunteer coordinator at two hospitals before I could get in! It's especially tough given that I work full time (40+ hour work weeks), which are the hours that PT clinics are typically open, so I only can get in about 4 hours a week. Right now, I have about 60 Outpatient, and about 10 Inpatient. That should continue to grow, and I'm hoping to have at least 100 by the time I apply, and even more after that. I've loved the time I've spent in both PT clinics and want to get as much exposure as possible

My GPA is on the lower side, but all of my lower grades were in specialized engineering classes (helloooo Thermodynamics!) so hopefully they won't have as much of an impact on my chances of getting into PT schools.

I am going to apply to FGCU, Nova Southeastern, Miami, Maryland, GWU, and Arcadia. Hopefully that casts a wide enough net and I'll get in at one of them!

I will also be applying for the first time this year, as soon as the cycle opens up July 1.

Undergraduate Institution:
Florida Gulf Coast University Major: Biology Minor: Interdisciplinary Sciences

Undergraduate GPA
: 3.1 Science, 3.3 Non-Science, ~3.2 Cumulative

Graduate School: Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine Major: Masters in Public Health (MPH)

Graduate GPA:

estimated PTCAS Science GPA:~3.18

estimated PTCAS Non-Science GPA:~ 3.5

estimated PTCAS overall GPA: ~ 3.3

Pre-Req GPA: 3.5-3. 8 depending on schools requirements.

GRE: 154 verbal, 150 quant, 4.0 Writing

Experience: Over 100 verified hours hospital physical therapy volunteer in outpatient, inpatient, and aquatic rehab. Also 18 hours as a physical therapy patient.

Other experience: Previously worked as a patient transporter and EKG tech in a hospital.
100 hours volunteering in non PT at hospital, I hold 2 certifications from the NSCA; the CPT and CSCS, I also hold the Crossfit Level 1 Trainer Certificate, and The Crossfit Mobility Trainer Certificate.

Schools I plan to apply to: Nova Southeastern University (NSU), University of Miami(UM), Florida International University (FIU), and University of St Augustine (USA) Flex DPT

I will also be applying for the first time this year, as soon as the cycle opens up July 1.
Undergraduate Institution: Florida Gulf Coast University Major: Biology Minor: Interdisciplinary Sciences
Undergraduate GPA: 3.1 Science, 3.3 Non-Science, ~3.2 Cumulative

Graduate School: Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine Major: Masters in Public Health (MPH)
Graduate GPA: 4.0

estimated PTCAS Science GPA:~3.18

estimated PTCAS Non-Science GPA:~ 3.5

estimated PTCAS overall GPA: ~ 3.3

Pre-Req GPA: 3.5-3. 8 depending on schools requirements.

GRE: 154 verbal, 150 quant, 4.0 Writing

Experience: Over 100 verified hours hospital physical therapy volunteer in outpatient, inpatient, and aquatic rehab. Also 18 hours as a physical therapy patient.

Other experience: Previously worked as a patient transporter and EKG tech in a hospital.
100 hours volunteering in non PT at hospital, I hold 2 certifications from the NSCA; the CPT and CSCS, I also hold the Crossfit Level 1 Trainer Certificate, and The Crossfit Mobility Trainer Certificate.

Schools I plan to apply to: Nova Southeastern University (NSU), University of Miami(UM), Florida International University (FIU), and University of St Augustine (USA) Flex DPT

Did you apply to the Spring 2015 for USA and Nova southeastern hybrid or on campus? I applied to those ones. I hope we get interviews! Good luck!

Did you apply to the Spring 2015 for USA and Nova southeastern hybrid or on campus? I applied to those ones. I hope we get interviews! Good luck!

I will be applying to Nova on site, and I will be applying USA Flex for Fall 2015. Good luck to you as well.

MY STATS

University: Umass Amherst
Major: Biology
Overall GPA: 3.7
Pre-Req: I'm going to have to sit down and calculate this, but I'm estimating a 3.8
GRE: TBD
Extra-Curric: Big Brothers Big Sisters, American Cancer Society, and some hours at a local Natural Healing Center
Volunteer/Observe: 150 hours so far. Probably close to 25o when I apply. 3 different settings at present.

Hey everyone, what are your current stats like? I'm hoping to apply this summer to get into one of six DPT programs in Southern California, and I'd love to get a feel for other students' stats and also make some acquaintances along the way :)

My Stats
University: CSUSB
Major: Kinesiology (Pre-PT Concentration)
Overall GPA: 3.43
Pre-Req GPA: Not sure, but I think it is a 3.2 because of all of my B's :-(
GRE: Taking in June. Most recent practice score around 300 but keeps improving.
Extra-Curric: Kinesiology Student Association Club, Community Outreach Program Club, Disability Swimming Coach
Volunteer/ Observation Hours: 0 (calling and waiting for call-backs)

I know my pre-req GPA and volunteer hours are terrible. I will be graduating in March 2015 but I am thinking about waiting a year to apply and going back to retake Anatomy & Physiology I and II/Chemistry II and Physics I, to see if I can bump up some of my B's up to A's. If I do, I think my pre-req GPA would go up to about a 3.5 or 3.6.

Anyways, what are your stats? Where are you planning on applying?

My Stats
University: Northern Illinois University
Major: Health Sciences ( Emphasis: Pre-physical therapy)
Overall GPA: 3.5
Pre-Req GPA: 3.3 ( if you include classes I retook some schools say I have a 3.7 pre-req GPA)
GRE: took it once need to retake it- will be in August
Extra-Curric: Adela de la Torre Honors Society, University Honors Program etc. I was involved a lot but my favorite was the research I did.
Volunteer/ Observation Hours: 55-peds 30 -inpatient 200+orthopedics/outpatient ( Rehab Aide job position)

Planning to apply to: Northern Illinois University, Governors State University, Midwestern University DG/Arizona, Rosalind Franklin, USC, Loma Linda University, Western Univ. of Hea.Sc., Samuel Merritt, Nova Southeastern, FIU, USF, UM, UTEP, USA.

This will be my 3rd time applying I guess you could say 3rd time. Its a long story, but I am so ready for this cycle!

My Stats
University: Northern Illinois University
Major: Health Sciences ( Emphasis: Pre-physical therapy)
Overall GPA: 3.5
Pre-Req GPA: 3.3 ( if you include classes I retook some schools say I have a 3.7 pre-req GPA)
GRE: took it once need to retake it- will be in August
Extra-Curric: Adela de la Torre Honors Society, University Honors Program etc. I was involved a lot but my favorite was the research I did.
Volunteer/ Observation Hours: 55-peds 30 -inpatient 200+orthopedics/outpatient ( Rehab Aide job position)

Planning to apply to: Northern Illinois University, Governors State University, Midwestern University DG/Arizona, Rosalind Franklin, USC, Loma Linda University, Western Univ. of Hea.Sc., Samuel Merritt, Nova Southeastern, FIU, USF, UM, UTEP, USA.

This will be my 3rd time applying I guess you could say 3rd time. Its a long story, but I am so ready for this cycle!

If you don't mind sharing, what do you think went wrong the first two application cycles? Your stats/hours all look pretty solid. Curious as to how you have not yet gotten in someplace...

If you don't mind sharing, what do you think went wrong the first two application cycles? Your stats/hours all look pretty solid. Curious as to how you have not yet gotten in someplace...

First cycle I applied to 2 schools . Didn't get in to one due to my GRE score being too low. The second school was taking a long time to let me know of a decision- like May long time and I had to make decisions about retaking classes etc. so I withdrew my application. Second time I applied to 5 schools all who did not require the GRE so that I wouldn't be at a disadvantage, I had an interview at one who could not give me a single reason as to why I wasn't accepted, how to improve my application, and they said my interviewer really liked me. They said they were shocked I wasn't accepted. I didn't get in anywhere else. It's been such a long road so I am hoping I get in this cycle since I've done everything I can possibly do. Nothing else would make me happy to do! I'm too devoted and love it way too much :)

I am applying this upcoming cycle as well!

University: Kennesaw State University
Major: Exercise and Health Science
GPA: 3.75
Pre-req GPA: 3.5ish
GRE: 152 V 157 Q 3.5 AW (not good, I know, but I have already taken it 3 times so I don't think I want to take it again)

Observation/Volunteer: ~200 hours divided over multiple settings (pediatrics, geriatrics, sports, inpatient, outpatient, neuro, ortho)

Work: Currently working full time at a doctors office (family practice). Even though it's not physical therapy, I'm working directly with patients- getting vitals, EKGs, Exerice stress tests, etc.

Extra: Student athlete, leader on the recruitment team for my sorority, coached gymnastics, member of multiple honor societies, member of Exercise Science club, attended SEACSM conference for multiple years, College volunteer program at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta, volunteer at Shepherd Center, and going on my first mission trip to Costa Rica this October:)

Applying: Georgia State, Mercer, Emory, North GA, Georgia Regents, Armstrong Atlantic, MUSC, and possibly St. Augustine

UPDATE
University- Auburn University
Major- Exercise Science
Overall GPA : 3.45
Pre-req GPA: unsure (probably a 3.3)
GRE: 149 verbal 148 quantitative
Observation : will have over 100 at the end of this month. Have hours divided over orthopedic, outpatient, inpatient, pediatrics, nuero, and athletics.
Extracurricular: student-athlete (Auburn gymnastics team), resident assistant for two years, undergraduate teacher assistant in human anatomy and physiology labs, helped with biomechanics research, gymnastics coach, children and youth volunteer in local church, and have been to Uganda twice on mission trips to volunteer in a school in Buloba.

Applying: MUSC, USC Columbia, and St Augustine
I will be going to visit MUSC and USC in a month, then will send in apps. Crossing my fingers my stats are good enough to get an interview.

My stats:

University: University of Arizona
Major: Psychology and Pre-health minor
Overall GPA: 3.9 from the U of A, 4.0 from a few CC classes
Pre-req GPA: Unsure, about 3.6 the last time I calculated
GRE: 164 (Verbal), 156 (Quantitative), 5 (Analytical)

Observation: I have 111 hours but only in pediatric outpatient therapies. I'm currently looking to get more hours shadowing in hospitals in Seoul.

Extracurricular: A few hundred hours volunteering in hospitals and emergency departments (used to want to go to med school), Muracles Club (helps sick children), studied abroad at the National University of Singapore, maybe more that I'm forgetting.

Work: I worked part time during a couple of my semesters. Currently a public school teacher in Seoul, South Korea.

I haven't quite worked out exactly where I'll be applying to, but most likely among: Northern Arizona University, University of Washington, University of Illinois - Chicago, University of Wisconsin - La Crosse, Temple University, George Washington University, Northwestern University, and Drexel University.

I feel like I need to find a few more safety schools.

Last edited:
My stats:

University: University of Georgia
Major: Nutrition Science
Overall GPA: 3.91
Pre-req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 155 (Verbal), 164 (Quantitative), 4.5 (Analytical)

Observation: 50 inpatient, 50 outpatient

Extracurricular: Guide Dog puppy raiser, Peer Nutrition Educator, Honors Fraternity, Special Olympics, Animal Shelter volunteer

I'm applying early decision to North Georgia, and if not accepted will apply to GA state, Mercer, GRU, and Armstrong.