Those darn MCATs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Millertime

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could offer me a little advice....or hope for that matter.
I took the MCAT in april, but I didn't do all that hot (23 overall...good for michael jordan , but not for me). Anyways, all joking aside, my undergrad GPA is ok (3.7) and I have a double major in bio and neuroscience. I have done volunteer work, and have had a lot of leadership experiences. With all that combine, I have no idea where I stand in the application pool. I am just wondering if someone could offer me some advice about the MCAT...or perhaps whether or not I have to take it again.
Thanks alot, Miller

Members don't see this ad.

Miller,

I can assume you aren't an under represented minority. Anyway, with your GPA you stand a very good chance at getting accepted into a D.O. school with your MCAT. Yes, your MCAT is a little bit low. However, Your GPA is excellent, and you sound like you have good extras. I have a friend with credentials like yours and he was accepted to PCOM, Nova, NYCOM, and UMDNJSOM. My advice is to apply to all the private D.O. schools and your state D.O. school.

What was the breakdown of your MCAT? Was it 7,8,8? Do you feel you can improve your scores in August? How did you prepare? If you think you can make 2 more points then by all means retake in August. You'll lock it up.

Definitely apply. Definitely do it NOW. Every day that goes by now is going to be devastating to your chances. When you apply, check the box that you do "not" plan to retake the MCAT in August. Check it no even if you are planning to take it. You don't want schools holding off on reviewing your application to wait until October when they see your new scores. Odds are you will get an interview on the 23. When they get the new scores they'll just assume you changed your mind and took them. It's do your benefit.

Anyway,
Good Luck
W.

Take a prep class and study hard. I would retake it just to have it done and while it is pretty fresh in your mind.

Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you guys so much. I didn't know that the school would hold off so long in reviewing the application. I guess it is better to be early but with a lower score, than too late.
I'll take the darn things again in august, but hopefully they won't have to count for me
smile.gif

Hey,

You should definitely apply with your stats and don't wait. When I applied last year I had similiar stats to yours except for a slightly lower gpa, and I received interviews at PCOM, UHS, DMU, LECOM, and Touro. (I only ended up interviewing at PCOM and UHS though cause I got into both of them and wanted to go to PCOM.) Also, I took the August MCATS and didn't end up sending in my application till the beginning of September, so if you apply this early, I am sure that even more schools will be interested. Best of luck!!!
smile.gif