Those Retaking MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j306c954

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else here's main reason for not being accepted was a low MCAT score?

I was lucky enough to have a phone conference with the dean of admissions for my school of choice in order to review my entire application. Literally, in her own words, pretty much the only reason I didn't get in was because my MCAT score was too low. Rest of my application was "excellent" and "quite impressive".

Unfortunately, for some reason, I still struggle with the MCAT. Retaking 9/3 for the 3rd time.

Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat?

Members don't see this ad.

what was the score

I was told during an interview last cycle that my MCAT was low (28, I already knew that)..and was honestly pretty disappointed that they would mention it during the interview..but nonetheless...I didn't receive an acceptance last cycle. Took the MCAT again...score comes back 8/18, but I definitely know how you feel. Just keep on pushing, and we'll make it through!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not one to give up, but I won't lie...I'm getting pretty damn burn out on this MCAT stuff. I got a 23. I would ideally like at least a 27, as the rest of my application makes up for an average score.

I'm not one to give up, but I won't lie...I'm getting pretty damn burn out on this MCAT stuff. I got a 23. I would ideally like at least a 27, as the rest of my application makes up for an average score.

I AM IN THE SAME BOAT AS YOU!!! I got a 24 and want at least a 28-29 equivalent on this new exam (which hello when are we going to be able to figure our correlating scores on old v. new exams?)
I want to be a doctor. That is the only career I want and can see myself in. And I know I should just suck it up and study bc its just 1 more month of effort i need to make to solidify the next x number of years of my life but gosh darn am I sick of it!
I get anxiety and panic attacks and cry frequently unfortunately which is waaaaaaaay outta character for me!

Any advice for sticking out and coming into studying more refreshed and determined and rejuvenated of sorts?

1st time applicant this cycle, retaking the exam 9/23 for the second time (1st time with the new format). Reeeeealllly nervous bc my MCAT is soooo low and I'd say the only thing dragging me down but it is a HUGE (probably #1) determinant of who gets in and who doesn't..

I AM IN THE SAME BOAT AS YOU!!! I got a 24 and want at least a 28-29 equivalent on this new exam (which hello when are we going to be able to figure our correlating scores on old v. new exams?)
I want to be a doctor. That is the only career I want and can see myself in. And I know I should just suck it up and study bc its just 1 more month of effort i need to make to solidify the next x number of years of my life but gosh darn am I sick of it!
I get anxiety and panic attacks and cry frequently unfortunately which is waaaaaaaay outta character for me!

Any advice for sticking out and coming into studying more refreshed and determined and rejuvenated of sorts?
I am trying to figure that out myself. I have never had trouble motivating myself and have always had a "no pain no gain" attitude. I don't cry very often, but I definitely get anxiety about it. Finding trouble even forcing myself to study anymore (even though I am still doing it).

I have plateaued on my practice tests with a score of 500, and I have tried many different methods of getting myself to "think differently" during the exam. So ya, when you figure out how to re-motivate yourself, let me know...haha
I've also tried taking one or two day long breaks. Bla.

Hello Everyone,

My name is Chinelo and I am applying for the Fall 2016 Cycle to 23 MD Programs ONLY- 9 in Texas and 14 outside of Texas. I am a Registered Nurse by profession and a graduate of Texas Woman's University- College of Nursing in Houston, Texas with Bachelor of Science in Nursing in May 2014 ( 3.48 cumulative GPA). I currently work for 2 home health agencies part-time. On top of that, I am attending graduate school full-time at UT School of Public Health in Houston since August 2014. I am getting my Masters in Public Health in Community Health Practice. My Graduate GPA is a 3.68 as of the Spring 2015 semester. During the Spring, I worked 6-7 weeks with the City of Houston Department of Health & Human Services on their STRYVE Project, a CDC National initiative striving to reduce youth violence. This summer I have spent 3 months working with Texas Children's Hospital and Baylor College of Medicine doing Public Health Research about Food Allergies in Schools via an Online Educational Tool. Since August 2014, I have been self-studying for the MCAT on and off. I did not start doing practice tests fully until May 2015. On my practice tests, I was scoring between 122-125 on each section and was aiming to score at least a 500 on the new MCAT. I took the MCAT on July 18th, 2015 and got my scores yesterday only scoring a 491 which was in the 23% percentile compared to those who took the exam in April and May of this year. I have opted not to retake and just continue with my application process. My common applications have been submitted and processed with all my transcripts, scores and letters and now I am completing 20 secondary applications. 5 of the 20 secondary applications I have submitted. What do you guys think of my situation? The last day to retake for the current year is September 23, 2015 and I do not want to delay my application. I don't like my score but I am just crossing my fingers and praying to God that my academic background and experiences help me get admitted into medical school.

Update: So I ended up with a 514 on my new MCAT. Just goes to show..significant improvement IS possible. With that said..I was averagine 32-33 on my practice tests for the old MCAT..so go figure.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello Everyone,

My name is Chinelo and I am applying for the Fall 2016 Cycle to 23 MD Programs ONLY- 9 in Texas and 14 outside of Texas. I am a Registered Nurse by profession and a graduate of Texas Woman's University- College of Nursing in Houston, Texas with Bachelor of Science in Nursing in May 2014 ( 3.48 cumulative GPA). I currently work for 2 home health agencies part-time. On top of that, I am attending graduate school full-time at UT School of Public Health in Houston since August 2014. I am getting my Masters in Public Health in Community Health Practice. My Graduate GPA is a 3.68 as of the Spring 2015 semester. During the Spring, I worked 6-7 weeks with the City of Houston Department of Health & Human Services on their STRYVE Project, a CDC National initiative striving to reduce youth violence. This summer I have spent 3 months working with Texas Children's Hospital and Baylor College of Medicine doing Public Health Research about Food Allergies in Schools via an Online Educational Tool. Since August 2014, I have been self-studying for the MCAT on and off. I did not start doing practice tests fully until May 2015. On my practice tests, I was scoring between 122-125 on each section and was aiming to score at least a 500 on the new MCAT. I took the MCAT on July 18th, 2015 and got my scores yesterday only scoring a 491 which was in the 23% percentile compared to those who took the exam in April and May of this year. I have opted not to retake and just continue with my application process. My common applications have been submitted and processed with all my transcripts, scores and letters and now I am completing 20 secondary applications. 5 of the 20 secondary applications I have submitted. What do you guys think of my situation? The last day to retake for the current year is September 23, 2015 and I do not want to delay my application. I don't like my score but I am just crossing my fingers and praying to God that my academic background and experiences help me get admitted into medical school.

In my opinion..I would delay..take a year off..study and retake in Jan. A 491 ~ 20 on the old MCAT...your chances are slim...regardless of background. If you do continue with your app, update us! It would be interesting to see them balance a low MCAT with significant ECs. Good luck!

In my opinion..I would delay..take a year off..study and retake in Jan. A 491 ~ 20 on the old MCAT...your chances are slim...regardless of background. If you do continue with your app, update us! It would be interesting to see them balance a low MCAT with significant ECs. Good luck!

Okay! I am still going to continue with the process and I will update you. I am already far along so I might as well continue.

Reactions: 1 user

My Plan B is that if I do not get in for Fall 2016. I will reapply for Fall 2017 and retake the MCAT in April/ May or June of 2016. Thanks for the advice and good luck to all!!

Hello All,

I wanted yall to get a taste of my profile. Tell me what you think. Im only applying to MD Programs. NO DO because my background encompasses the DO philosophy but if I reapply for Fall 2017 and take the MCAT in April 2016 and get at least a 500. Do yall think I can get into MD Programs? Here is my GPA info:

This is my breakdown according to AMCAS and TMDSAS.

Overall GPA: 3.49
Overall BCPM GPA: 3.89
Undergrad GPA: 3.47
Undergrad BCPM GPA: 3.88
Undergrad Non-BCPM GPA: 3.23
Graduate Total GPA: 3.68
Graduate BCPM GPA: 4.00
Graduate Non-BCPM GPA: 3.60

Undergrad Major: Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Profession: Registered Nurse- works 2 jobs, conducts research with BCM and TCH, Intern with Houston Health Department
Graduate Major: Masters in Public Health- Community Health Practice Major

Hello All,

I wanted yall to get a taste of my profile. Tell me what you think. Im only applying to MD Programs. NO DO because my background encompasses the DO philosophy but if I reapply for Fall 2017 and take the MCAT in April 2016 and get at least a 500. Do yall think I can get into MD Programs? Here is my GPA info:

This is my breakdown according to AMCAS and TMDSAS.

Overall GPA: 3.49
Overall BCPM GPA: 3.89
Undergrad GPA: 3.47
Undergrad BCPM GPA: 3.88
Undergrad Non-BCPM GPA: 3.23
Graduate Total GPA: 3.68
Graduate BCPM GPA: 4.00
Graduate Non-BCPM GPA: 3.60

Undergrad Major: Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Profession: Registered Nurse- works 2 jobs, conducts research with BCM and TCH, Intern with Houston Health Department
Graduate Major: Masters in Public Health- Community Health Practice Major
Your chances are vanishingly small.
If you have not already applied, stop.
Your MCAT is about a 19 on the old scale. Only San Juan Bautista has a 10th% that low in all the LCME accredited schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I do not know the comparison of scores from new to old MCAT. Can you enlighten?

My MCAT Score was a 491 by the way

Biology/ Biochem: 125
Psych= 122
Chemistry= 122
CARS= 122

1st time applicant this cycle, retaking the exam 9/23 for the second time (1st time with the new format). Reeeeealllly nervous bc my MCAT is soooo low and I'd say the only thing dragging me down but it is a HUGE (probably #1) determinant of who gets in and who doesn't..

When did you take the MCAT Last? I am in the same boat as you. I just took it in July 18th and I am actually thinking of taking it again Sept 23rd just to apply for this cycle OR just taking my 491 score, SUBMIT my secondary applications to see if I can still get in or not? This is my first time applying this cycle as well.

Percentile wise...your 491 translates to around a 19-20 on the old scale..keep in mind, last year's matriculants to MD schools had an average of 31 on the MCAT (this year will probably be 32). A decent rule of thumb..is to be within 2 points to be pretty competitive..however, even the lower US MD schools will probably have averages of 28-29 this cycle...you are too far away from that average to be competitive. Also, can you elaborate on "NO DO because my background encompasses the DO philosophy"...if your background truly encompasses the DO philosophy..then why aren't you applying to DO schools?

When did you take the MCAT Last? I am in the same boat as you. I just took it in July 18th and I am actually thinking of taking it again Sept 23rd just to apply for this cycle OR just taking my 491 score, SUBMIT my secondary applications to see if I can still get in or not? This is my first time applying this cycle as well.
Do not re-take a score this low without a drastic change in strategy.
Multiple low scores have a much more chilling effect.

Hello Everyone,

I'm not trying to be mean at all, BUT don't get your hopes up too much :\ I was hoping the same thing when I applied last year, BUT no matter how impressive your other stuff is...if you don't have at least the school's minimum, they won't even look at your application. I also have a very extensive academic and research background (3.9 GPA, graduated in top 10%, degree in behavioral neuroscience so tons of graduate level courses, neuroimaging reserach, honors thesis, volunteered as a counselor at the NSPL for over 3 years, lots of other volunteering experiences as well, etc etc).
BUT, since my score last year was not at least the minimum required, none of that stuff mattered. I had my hopes up last year, thinking my background and experiences would make up for it, and then didn't even get an interview.

Oh and you should absolutely retake. Or apply to a DO program (however the minimum for most DO programs is 500).

What are the minimum scores? Most of the schools just say that the average is a 30 and that the range for their incoming class is between 21 to 35.

Oh and you should absolutely retake. Or apply to a DO program (however the minimum for most DO programs is 500).

Even when I reapply. I am not going for DO Programs. Strictly MD Programs. My background as an RN and Public Health Graduate Student emphasizes on prevention and primary care, and MD, for me, is a better complement.

Even when I reapply. I am not going for DO Programs. Strictly MD Programs. My background as an RN and Public Health Graduate Student emphasizes on prevention and primary care, and MD, for me, is a better complement.

I'm not sure you understand what DO programs are....considering they are ALL about preventative medicine and primary care. @Goro ?

For MD schools anything below a 26 is lethal, and even the high 20s are limiting. Going from a 19/20 to a high 20s will bot be very impressive to adcoms at MD schools, where the effective floor at most schools is a 30. However, TX is a lucky state for TX applicants, and so high 20s might suffice for TX Tech or UT-G

Your current score is one that puts you at high for failing out of medical school and/or boards.

What are the minimum scores? Most of the schools just say that the average is a 30 and that the range for their incoming class is between 21 to 35.

This is exactly what DO programs emphasize.

And beggars can't be choosy, either.

For what it's worth..here are the ranges for TX MD school matriculants for 10%-90% MCAT
Baylor 32-39
A&M 27-35
Texas Tech El Paso 26-34
Texas Tech Lubbock 29-36
San Antonio 28-36
Galveston 27-36
Houston 28-36
Dallas 31-38

Thus, your bare minimum is "technically" 26..as El Paso took a 26 student..but realistically..you need a 30-32 to have a solid chance of getting in somewhere.

On a side note, I'm jealous of your Texas residency..haha.

Varies depending on school. Check MSAR.
I'm 90% certain that none are below the 50th percentile (which is about a 500).
Additionally, most schools will also require you score at least 50th percentile in each section.

I'm not sure you understand what DO programs are....considering they are ALL about preventative medicine and primary care. @Goro ?
The only difference is the overall approach they take to medicine...symptomatic (MD) vs. whole-body (DO).
Originally, I didn't want to go the DO route...however, when I really thought about it, it makes more sense for me. My primary interest is neuro, and with neuro you can't just look at individual symptoms. You have to take a whole-body approach.

DO also focuses on preventative medicine and primary care?

Yes, I know DO focuses on that. I don't want to go to DO because I am a Registered Nurse by profession and we do use a holistic approach in taking care of patients as well as emphasizing prevention. Also, Public Health focuses on promoting healthy life styles and preventing diseases and outbreaks. So, DO would just be the same philosophy for me. I want an MD because it will contrast what my background already has. It is different but I like the difference better than DO, but in any words. I will continue with the process and if it doesnt work out this year. Ill retake the MCAT by May 2016 and reapply for 2017. Thanks for the tips guys!

For what it's worth..here are the ranges for TX MD school matriculants for 10%-90% MCAT
Baylor 32-39
A&M 27-35
Texas Tech El Paso 26-34
Texas Tech Lubbock 29-36
San Antonio 28-36
Galveston 27-36
Houston 28-36
Dallas 31-38

Thus, your bare minimum is "technically" 26..as El Paso took a 26 student..but realistically..you need a 30-32 to have a solid chance of getting in somewhere.

On a side note, I'm jealous of your Texas residency..haha.

Those below the 10th percentile are often those with significant hooks(URMs, military experience etc). I can't recommend applying to MD schools with less than 26 without that kind of hook.

Those below the 10th percentile are often those with significant hooks(URMs, military experience etc). I can't recommend applying to MD schools with less than 26 without that kind of hook.
Agreed. Just wish I would have known that earlier!

Yes, I know DO focuses on that. I don't want to go to DO because I am a Registered Nurse by profession and we do use a holistic approach in taking care of patients as well as emphasizing prevention. Also, Public Health focuses on promoting healthy life styles and preventing diseases and outbreaks. So, DO would just be the same philosophy for me. I want an MD because it will contrast what my background already has. It is different but I like the difference better than DO, but in any words. I will continue with the process and if it doesnt work out this year. Ill retake the MCAT by May 2016 and reapply for 2017. Thanks for the tips guys!

With your current score you will not get a DO or MD spot.

@Chinelo In my opinion, I would put all your efforts toward brining up that MCAT score. Take a class, study more, change your materials/attack on the test. My first time applying I had a 22 and didn't get any interviews. I was able to re-take a year later after studying for several months and taking an Exam crackers class at Johns Hopkins. I raised to an equivalent to 29-30 on the new MCAT (about 7 point jump). Although this is still technically below the median, the huge jump after putting in more effort makes you a stronger candidate.
I wouldn't waste time or money on the application cycle as this area of your application may hold you back from even receiving a secondary, none the less an interview.
I wish you the best of luck because I know it sucks to have just one thing holding you back.

Just wondering if anyone else here's main reason for not being accepted was a low MCAT score?

I was lucky enough to have a phone conference with the dean of admissions for my school of choice in order to review my entire application. Literally, in her own words, pretty much the only reason I didn't get in was because my MCAT score was too low. Rest of my application was "excellent" and "quite impressive".

Unfortunately, for some reason, I still struggle with the MCAT. Retaking 9/3 for the 3rd time.

Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat?

To answer your original question I'm basically in same boat as you. I applied last year ( late in cycle, took September MCAT) with a 26 and didn't get in anywhere. Caveat I only applied to schools in the NY area, I'm non traditional and can't apply broadly for family reasons. I retook in January, the last administration of the old test, and only went up to a 28. I got no interviews, all rejections depiste a 3.8 overall GPA, 3.7 science GPA, lots of medical and non medical related extracurriculars and a fancy first career. I spoke to an adcom in May and they told me that if it wasn't for my MCAT I would have been a "very competitive applicant." They also told me that a 26 vs. 28 won't really matter and that I really need to take it again and get something above at least 32-33 (their average matriculant's score). I applied again this cycle with the 28 but after being complete since July and having no interviews, I think that adcom was right on. So....looks like I'll be taking the new version of the MCAT, my third attempt, and applying yet again next cycle.

Okay! I am still going to continue with the process and I will update you. I am already far along so I might as well continue.

I know it's early, but any updates Chinelo? Retaking MCAT? Still applied? Any feedback? Just curious.