Those who are currently waitlisted, with NO acceptances!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sng33

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since we have no acceptances yet did you guys submit your new AMCAS application in case we do not get pulled off the waitlist? I am holding out hope for one last waitlist, but I do not want to fall behind the next cycle if I do not get accepted. Yet it seems that people have been getting verified pretty quickly, and since you get no refund once you are verified I am ambivalent on whether or not to submit since I am appling to like 30 schools (Aprox. $1,000) to get a good assortment. I am also planning on taking the August MCAT if I don't get in to the waitlist school. This is a tough call, what do you guys think I should do in order to keep up with the current cycle, but minimize the amount of money I would lose if I do get in? I have also heard some people say they called the school they were waitlisted at and asked if they should submit the new AMCAS App. or hold off. Did this strategy work for anyone? How did you phrase it as to not come across too pushy?

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you, I would have my AMCAS application entirely filled out. However, I would wait to submit the application until you are certain that you will not get off of the waitlist you are on (i.e. after classes start at the school). I don't think you'd be too far behind in the application cycle if you waited to submit your application until the end of August. As it is anyway, you're planning on taking the August MCAT, so schools won't look at your application until October at the earliest.

As for me, I'm currently on two waitlists with no acceptances, and I didn't plan on taking the August MCAT (DUMB MOVE)!! I'll be taking two years off if I don't get accepted this time around. I'll have to take the *new* MCAT in April 2003. Worst case: I work at NIH for two years, and then medical school after that.

Good luck!

yeah, i was the one who called up the school and asked whether or not i should submit. and it is working so far. they maintain that i should maybe hold off for at least 2 more weeks. i mean, its no sweat off their back if i submit so im assuming that im good to go as soon as enough people decline. so try it, it just might work!

Members don't see this ad :)
@imtiaz,
what did you say to them as to not come across like it was a threat, or even just s little pushy. Were they responsive, and did they tell you what position or general priority you were on the waitlist or did they just tell you to wait two weeks?

Have you considered submitting your application for 2003 and only designating one school? Your application would then get verified and be ready to go with minimal cost. Isn't it easy to add schools after your application is verified?

that's not a bad idea JBJ, the only negative is the fact that for those schools you did not initially submit you would be a bit behind with. I am also not sure how quickly you can have have the app. submitted to the additional schools you add.

i tried what imitaz did and got absoluting NOTHING tangible with one my schools that has an unranked waitlist.

me: "Hello Dr. X, what advice can you give to waitlisted applicants, such as myself, who are ready to submit their AMCAS 2003 application, yet are hesistant to b/c the fee is non-refundable and a fair amount of money?"

Dr. X: "I understand your concern. You have to prepare for the hypotheticals."

me: "Well, is there a certain date by which our relative chances are highly unlikely to get offerred an acceptance, and therefore we should sumbit and have our applications early for the next cycle?"

Dr. X: "We can pull you off the waitlist the day before orientation. We've done so in the past."

i'm planning to submit in a week (already sent my transcripts out to AMCAS) and fork over 1K to prepare for the "hypothethicals."

-joe joe

Hey Joe Joe, was that GW you called?

BTW, I will submit my new application in about a week. I would submit now, but I have an exam on the 2nd and don't have time to rework my essay.

I think you guys should call all the schools you are waitlisted at and smother them (don't overdo it by calling everyday!) by letting them know you want to go to their school. They are not going to tell you that you WILL or WON'T get in, and to prepare for applying again, but w/ Doctora Foxy, she called Temple and told them that she was going to go to Finch and they started so soon, but she really wanted to go to Temple--and they called her to accept her about 2 days later!!!!! So, some schools might not be so informative or helpful, but it is worth the effort. I wish you all the best of getting off these waitlists.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by encee:
•They are not going to tell you that you WILL or WON'T get in, and to prepare for applying again, but w/ Doctora Foxy, she called Temple and told them that she was going to go to Finch and they started so soon, but she really wanted to go to Temple--and they called her to accept her about 2 days later!!!!! •••••It was actually exactly 24 hours later (they called at 9:01am :wink: )...and I recommend everyone do this!!!! It works! :D

We don't have an acceptance to use as a bargaining plea as you did though Foxy. If you attended Chicago Med then they lose out on you, but if we reapply they don't lose anything. So I am not sure if this would work in our situation since we have no other acceptances.

The only reason why it worked was because I knew my place on the waitlist. If you are placed at the top of the waitlist but want to send in amcas just in case, I don't think it hurts to tell them. I told them I had to put down an apartment deposit, so that gave them a little pressure....so it's kinda similar to sending in amcas, no? :wink:

I wish you guys the best of luck! Waitlists are still moving!

sng33: where are you waitlisted? umdnj?

everyone else...good luck! i hope you all get accepted from the waitlist!! :)

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]:
•Foxy: You got into Temple too?•••••yep :) one day too late :wink:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by sng33:
•@imtiaz,
what did you say to them as to not come across like it was a threat, or even just s little pushy. Were they responsive, and did they tell you what position or general priority you were on the waitlist or did they just tell you to wait two weeks?•••••they didnt tell me any specific information, they just asked me if given an acceptance if i would matriculate, and i said of course, then they said hold off for 2 weeks.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by JBJ:
•Have you considered submitting your application for 2003 and only designating one school? Your application would then get verified and be ready to go with minimal cost. Isn't it easy to add schools after your application is verified?•••••as much as scamcas screws up, would any of you trust them to get stuff right? personally the less scamcas handles my application, the better. youre just asking for something to go wrong if you do this IMHO.