Those who didn't get in- now what?

Started by Snow Dogz
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Snow Dogz

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey! I'll be graduating in May with my BS in Animal and Veterinary Science. This was my first year applying, I applied to two schools and didn't get in to either. Still waiting for my review from WSU but CSU gave me a good application review that basically said I had a very strong application except for my 3.2 GPA, and that my GRE scores could be higher. They recommended grad school (I just emailed back and asked to specify that a little), but I just can't decide on which program. A year long, non-thesis based masters in veterinary biomedical science from CSU, or a typical two year researched based? I'm looking into if there are any funded research assistantship positions in the Equine Reproduction Lab at CSU and if anyone would take me on as a student, but I've also been offered a very generous grad student position in Meat Science/Meat Quality here at the University of Wyoming. Not sure I'm interested in meat science enough though but then again, the cost of living is so low here, the degree would be more than paid for, and I've been here in Laramie for 4 years so I have a lot of connections. I didn't realize it would be so hard to figure out what is the best choice for my long term goal, becoming a vet! 😕 😕 😕


So I was just curious, to those of you who didn't get in, what are you doing to make your application stronger for next year?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, I am planning on staying in school and continue taking classes. I only applied to 2 schools this cycle too which probably was not the best thing I could do. I got a great review back from one of my schools so know I feel like I know what they are looking for in my application and can make the adjustments accordingly and hopefully will have a more successful round 2.

Thats my plan anyways, apply until they get tired seeing my name. (And avoid having to do a masters at all cost) 😛
 
Well...after the initial disappointment of having to find a plan B I decided going to school for any longer (I am graduating in May) was not something I wanted to do, and something I did not think would help me at all. I don't need any more debt especially since I want to head to vet school as soon as possible... So I decided that I would go the experience route...I have applied for tons of PAID internships around my current location and in other states in hopes that something will work out. I made sure to make them high responsibility, and fast paced so that I can get as much experience crammed into the next few months as possible. I also plan to take the GRE...again probably in July. Also, going to continue my volunteering on the side! I wish you guys luck applying again!
 
If you're already able to go to CSU, I have definitely heard good things about their special masters program (the 1 year coursework based one) as far as helping to make up for a poor undergrad performance.

I personally did a thesis based Masters after I didn't get in the first time, but this was because ultimately it was good for my intended career either way and was NOT just to get into vet school.
 
Besides internships, do you guys know of any programs that you can still apply to now? I think I need some GPA help...
 
Besides internships, do you guys know of any programs that you can still apply to now? I think I need some GPA help...

I don't know if it fits your situation but I have been told that the best way to try and improve a GPA is to go back and retake classes that you have received a C in that is worth 4 or more credits.
 
I don't know if it fits your situation but I have been told that the best way to try and improve a GPA is to go back and retake classes that you have received a C in that is worth 4 or more credits.

I agree, I don't think it's necessary to take a formal program. Just take classes and bump up your GPA.

I'm taking this year off too (but b/c I'm graduating early & didn't apply this round). I am travelling this summer, then shadowing (hopefully! an equine vet) during August & applying for an equine internship this fall. My gpa is great, gre is good, so I think I will focus on increasing my experience hours. I want to apply for fun internships this spring too, or I might take random art/dance classes somewhere. I should know about U of Edinburgh vet school by December, so I will know whether to structure my game plan for 1 or 2 years off.
 
I don't know if it fits your situation but I have been told that the best way to try and improve a GPA is to go back and retake classes that you have received a C in that is worth 4 or more credits.

The only thing with that is that with over 100 hours credit, you can't really change your gpa. Maybe only a few hundredths of a point...

So I looked into that CSU program, and was wondering if anyone has heard about positive reviews about non thesis masters programs. Does this even help since its just classwork?
 
If anyone is interested in an equine internship look at KESMARC (Kentucky Equine Sports Medicine and Athletic Rehabilitation Center). They have a really solid program and locations in FL and KY. It is unpaid, but they provide housing. They fill up quickly but if you apply now you can probably get into FL for the fall/winter (which is the BEST time to be there). If you stay for over three months you get trained to do the hyperbaric oxygen chamber and other stuff.

http://kesmarcflorida.com/internships/internships.html
http://www.kesmarc.com/internships.html

I spent this past summer in FL and it was great. (My avatar is actually a mini at the facility that the fellow interns and I painted with finger-paint on the 4th of July).

PM me if you are interested or have questions.

/whoring
 
The only thing with that is that with over 100 hours credit, you can't really change your gpa. Maybe only a few hundredths of a point...

So I looked into that CSU program, and was wondering if anyone has heard about positive reviews about non thesis masters programs. Does this even help since its just classwork?

My $0.02--

Here's what I've been through (does it work? well... I'm starting vet school in the fall, so that is up to you to decide... but it's not 100% because of my MPH that I've gotten in... I busted my arse this past year just to prove myself and took on things that make me look back and wonder how I got it all done and remained sane):

pre-MPH GPA: ~3.02
post-MPH GPA: ~3.4 (factoring in all things from undergrad)

I did the non-thesis based MPH through Ohio State's College of Public Health. I highly recommend the program (learned a ton- loved the environment- am actually using my degree and if I didn't get in to vet school, I'd have a decent job without my DVM). If anyone has any questions about it, there are a few people on here that have been through this program....

Adcoms are looking that you can academically handle a challenge.... if you take one or two courses here & there without anything else going on, you better have darn good grades (if that means re-taking your C classes-- you've got to strive for that 4.0).

Best of luck in whatever you decide! Being rejected from vet school twice, I know that if it's something you really want, you'll internalize everything that a school gives you in your exit interview/review and it will ignite a fire from within to do everything humanly possible to keep improving your application for that one day when the adcoms finally say yes. Whatever it means--improving experience, eLORs, GPA or GRE scores... you know what your weaknesses are.