Thoughts on a few residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Midsouthyank

Reaction score
Saw a thread on this a little bit down the way so sorry for the repetition here. Virtual interviews have definitely made it hard to differentiate amongst programs and as a late convert to anesthesia I find myself a little behind the curve. I was hoping I could get some insight into my top programs.

Medical University of South Carolina
University of Tennessee - Knoxville
University of Alabama - Birmingham
University of Kentucky
University of Florida
West Virginia University

As a brief background, I will owe 4 years to the military after I complete residency. I did HPSP because I really wanted to serve as a military doc and if I like the experience I'll continue to serve. If it's just okay, I'll leave and get paid. Whenever I do leave the military, I would like to practice in a smaller town to mid-size city.

All of these programs seem to have a good work/life balance and are in cities I'd be content living in. Some of the advice I've seen on this thread said to live in the place you'd want to practice and where you'd be happy to live in for 4 years. All these places check the boxes for me though some have a more agreeable climate than others. I'm not a huge city person and I love the outdoor rec opportunities that both the mountains and the coast provide. Without putting out too much personal info, I have a decent amount of friends that currently live in one of these cities and that would be a benefit of doing residency there.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks y'all.

Members don't see this ad.

The first 5 on your list are all phenomenal. Interviewed at the first 3 which all ended up in my top 5. Didn’t look much into WVU so I can’t speak to it as much. I interviewed within the past 5 years.

Charleston is probably the most beautiful place to be (although I assume the humid summers aren’t as enjoyable as the mid-70s winter). Beautiful hospital. Fun residents. ICU heavy curriculum which could be a positive or negative.

Knoxville was a fun college town. Hospital was a bit older than MUSC. They claimed more of a “private practice” environment.

UAB was my favorite of the 3. Big hospital system. Birmingham was surprisingly cool downtown and you can live like a king with their moonlighting. Would have loved to do their mobile ICU jet moonlighting. But I especially loved their setup with their resident lounge. Having a space like that makes a world of difference both in terms of making friends and discussing cases. Suddenly you double or triple your daily learning just by shooting the breeze about your cases.

Good luck. Based on the programs you’re considering you seem to have a good grasp on what makes for a good program. I’m sure you’ll do great and find phenomenal training

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
UAB is the best of the programs on your list. UK would be #2 IMO given the focus on resident education.

UAB is where the SOST is based, if you have any interest in going that route after graduation. Might be a good way to make some contacts. Assuming you're Air Force.

If I were ranking them for my own interests, it would look like this:

5-Medical University of South Carolina-Great location; decent program
3-University of Tennessee - Knoxville-Very good program with good leaders
1-University of Alabama - Birmingham-Hidden gem. Great program. One of the best in the country, IMHO
2-University of Kentucky-great reputation. Little bit of leadership turnover but likely still firing on all cylinders since many of the main people are still there.
4-University of Florida-Rich history, still okay, but not as good as they once were, by reputation.
6-West Virginia University-Have been a bit up and down. Probably still good.

All should be ranked and you would be well trained at any of them, I suspect.

Reactions: 2 users
Can anyone here tell me what residencies and where the AF offers? I am accepted to HPSP and start school this fall.

UAB is where the SOST is based, if you have any interest in going that route after graduation. Might be a good way to make some contacts. Assuming you're Air Force.

I thought SOST utilized CRNAs? Will they take anesthesiologists for the anesthesia position?