Thoughts on a strong application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pietrantonio

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just putting out some of my EC' and leadership roles, etc to get an idea of how the playing field looks for me. Currently a student at UNC-C completing my BS degree in Respiratory Therapy with a pre-med track. I'm starting from level I courses this Spring semester so I have room to improve on my GPA, etc. I have some "W" and "F" marks from the distant past where I experienced family difficulties. The "F" was simply because I was unable to attend but past the deadline to "W". I have always worked FT nights and currently still work FT nights while going to school and participating in activities, etc.

Education:
AAS in Respiratory Therapy (2011)
BSRT in Respiratory Therapy (Current)
GPA - 3.2
sGPA - NA
MCAT - NA

EC, Leadership, et al:
Creator/Owner of the Respiratory Therapy Network Facebook page to promote RT care and education.
Member of the AARC.
Participant in clinical research (Starting to get involved)
Board of Directors /committee member for the NCSRC (Starting to get involved)
RT for ICHF supporting CHD surgeries in other countries.
Charge/Lead RT
Team member for developing intubation standards and protocols Active Private Pilot with 150 hours TT
Active Ice Hockey Player in an adult recreational league
Active SCUBA diver with emphasis on the technical side of diving

Basically that's it to date of what I can put down on a med school application. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Just putting out some of my EC' and leadership roles, etc to get an idea of how the playing field looks for me. Currently a student at UNC-C completing my BS degree in Respiratory Therapy with a pre-med track. I'm starting from level I courses this Spring semester so I have room to improve on my GPA, etc. I have some "W" and "F" marks from the distant past where I experienced family difficulties. The "F" was simply because I was unable to attend but past the deadline to "W". I have always worked FT nights and currently still work FT nights while going to school and participating in activities, etc.

Education:
GPA - 3.2
sGPA - NA
MCAT - NA

EC, Leadership, et al:
Creator/Owner of the Respiratory Therapy Network Facebook page to promote RT care and education.
Member of the AARC.
Charge/Lead RT
Team member for developing intubation standards and protocols Active Private Pilot with 150 hours TT

Basically that's it to date of what I can put down on a med school application. Thoughts?
Do you have some plans for physician shadowing and some nonmedical community service?

The cGPA is not competitive for MD schools but fine for most DO programs. Retake any F/D/C science coursework and utilize AACOMAS' grade replacement policy.

Education:
GPA - 3.2
sGPA - NA
MCAT - NA

EC, Leadership, et al:
Member of the AARC.
Charge/Lead RT

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice. Is physician shadowing really necessary? I work alongside them treating patients, etc. Having a wife and 6-month old baby doesn't leave much time for non-medical activities, so the majority of my background is medical/work related. I'm still ~3 years out from completing all the pre-reqs and that is plenty of time to raise my GPA.

Is physician shadowing really necessary? I work alongside them treating patients, etc.

I'm still ~3 years out from completing all the pre-reqs . . .
In order for your application to have the broadest appeal to the greatest number of schools, having formal physician shadowing is wise. The average listed is about 50 hours. This can be gained in a short time over a school break or on a weekly basis, as suits you. You'll get the most mileage by observing primary care docs involved in longitudinal care. An important benefit will be greater ease in answering interview questions dealing with the positive and negative realities of practicing medicine in the US: patient advocacy, cultural sensitivity, malpractice, medical ethics, current healthcare policy, difficult patients, insurance companies, professionalism, etc.

You should be able to arrange such opportunities with ease, considering you already have professional contacts with physicians.

Reactions: 1 user
In order for your application to have the broadest appeal to the greatest number of schools, having formal physician shadowing is wise. The average listed is about 50 hours. This can be gained in a short time over a school break or on a weekly basis, as suits you. You'll get the most mileage by observing primary care docs involved in longitudinal care. An important benefit will be greater ease in answering interview questions dealing with the positive and negative realities of practicing medicine in the US: patient advocacy, cultural sensitivity, malpractice, medical ethics, current healthcare policy, difficult patients, insurance companies, professionalism, etc.

You should be able to arrange such opportunities with ease, considering you already have professional contacts with physicians.

I really appreciate the advice. I will certainly look into the opportunity and make arrangements. Thank you!