Thoughts on away rotation at reach fellowship programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trisphorin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First all, good luck to all future cardiologist on the match in 2 weeks!

I am AMG at midtier NE program trying to crack the NYC programs, specifically in Manhattan (NYU, NYP-Cornell, Sinai academic/clinical tracks, and Columbia). I have decent research, 240s on Steps, and hopefully decent LOR. However, after looking through fellow profiles at the above programs, I do not think I will have a chance with my current application. I want to hear thoughts on how much an away rotation will help in getting an interview and potentially match there, assuming of course i do well on away.

Appreciate your inputs and happy friday

Members don't see this ad.

Opinions will vary on this. I don't think it's worth it. I've always thought it was kinda weird for people to do rotations like you're talking about and it often doesn't seem like much is gained. It could go poorly as well. Just keeping building your app and get comfortable with the idea of not going to those programs (not that you shouldn't try) but I'm not sure why you desire to be in NYC and there are just as good or even better programs outside of NYC. You could always move back to NYC after training.

I agree. I do not think it is worth it. If there is a program in mind that you have your sights on, it really depends more on your connections through the faculty at your current institution and your goal program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also keep in mind that your current PD has to agree to let you go do this rotation since s/he still has to pay you. Most programs only allow away rotations for things that are not available at your home program. So if there's no imaging, EP or interventional/structural opportunities at your current program, you could try to do one of those. But they're not going to let you go to Columbia just to do a Gen Cards or CCU month.

Hello Trisphorin, I think it is worth doing away at a program you are interested in if your program will allow you to. This is just my opinion from my experience. I am an IMG at a community program who didn't have the greatest application or scores. My goal was to get experience at a top-ranked academic center to strengthen my application. I applied and was lucky to complete an away (Gen cards) at an incredible hospital and program at the end of my second year. My home PD allowed me to complete a second general cards rotation. I worked my hardest that month and made as many connections as I could. Also prior to my away, I got in touch with some faculty members to get involved with research. I ended up staying in touch with them even months after, working on different projects, publishing research etc. When it came time to applications this year, I honestly did not expect to receive an invite from them as I did not come anywhere close to their fellow profiles. However, to my surprise, I received an invite. I thought my interview went really well and most of the faculty and the PD already knew me from my away. Now only time will tell whether this will translate to a match. So I do think that exposing yourself to a program you're interested in, getting to know faculty, and doing your best at your away should at least get you an interview. Now, this isn't to say you can't get an interview without doing this, but in my opinion, it certainly helps.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello Trisphorin, I think it is worth doing away at a program you are interested in if your program will allow you to. This is just my opinion from my experience. I am an IMG at a community program who didn't have the greatest application or scores. My goal was to get experience at a top-ranked academic center to strengthen my application. I applied and was lucky to complete an away (Gen cards) at an incredible hospital and program at the end of my second year. My home PD allowed me to complete a second general cards rotation. I worked my hardest that month and made as many connections as I could. Also prior to my away, I got in touch with some faculty members to get involved with research. I ended up staying in touch with them even months after, working on different projects, publishing research etc. When it came time to applications this year, I honestly did not expect to receive an invite from them as I did not come anywhere close to their fellow profiles. However, to my surprise, I received an invite. I thought my interview went really well and most of the faculty and the PD already knew me from my away. Now only time will tell whether this will translate to a match. So I do think that exposing yourself to a program you're interested in, getting to know faculty, and doing your best at your away should at least get you an interview. Now, this isn't to say you can't get an interview without doing this, but in my opinion, it certainly helps.

Big cong for your achievement!

I had similar experience and the away helped me significantly with my application for another specialty, as I am also from a community program with limited resources in the specialty I am interested.

It may not be easy to impress faculty at top academic centers, but it is worth to try and also make sure to be very well prepared. Especially for research you need to have something solid in mind and preferentially already with some prelim data

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, were you able to match?