Thoughts on Clinical Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Electrophile

Working Dog Doc
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay guys, I've tried to do some plotting which schedule I want to take for clinical rotations, but it's making my head hurt and we have to select our choices starting tomorrow. Without going into a lot of detail, this is what we have to take:

VMS 6400 Food Animal Medicine and Surgery I (6)
VMS 6410 Small Animal Medicine I (6)
VMS 6420 Equine Medicine and Surgery I (6)
VMS 6430 Small Animal Surgery I (6)
VMS 6441 Clinical Radiology I (3)
VMS 6442 Clinical Anesthesiology I (3)
VMS 6450 Theriogenology I (2)
VMS 6460 Clinical Ophthalmology I (2)
VPB 6647 Diagnostic Pathology and Special Species Medicine I (8)
VMS 6490 Small Animal Specialty Medicine I (oncology) (2)

We also get three "flex" or free blocks to add in electives. I'm interested in predominantly small animal mixed practice (like 70% small animal, 10% each of exotics, equine, and food animal) and a good chance of applying for a nutrition residency in the future.

So...any general advice on what order to take things? I've heard a few things, like stay out of pathology in the summer if possible and small animal surgery has a LOT of on call, so getting that out of the way early may be good.

Members don't see this ad.

I have always thought (granted I am not a vet student so that may make a difference) that clinical pathology was something pretty valuable because it would allow you to read your own blood smears and urine slides and give much faster feedback to clients. Plus, you get to sit most of the time. That's rare. :)

Okay guys, I've tried to do some plotting which schedule I want to take for clinical rotations, but it's making my head hurt and we have to select our choices starting tomorrow. Without going into a lot of detail, this is what we have to take:

VMS 6400 Food Animal Medicine and Surgery I (6)
VMS 6410 Small Animal Medicine I (6)
VMS 6420 Equine Medicine and Surgery I (6)
VMS 6430 Small Animal Surgery I (6)
VMS 6441 Clinical Radiology I (3)
VMS 6442 Clinical Anesthesiology I (3)
VMS 6450 Theriogenology I (2)
VMS 6460 Clinical Ophthalmology I (2)
VPB 6647 Diagnostic Pathology and Special Species Medicine I (8)
VMS 6490 Small Animal Specialty Medicine I (oncology) (2)

We also get three "flex" or free blocks to add in electives. I'm interested in predominantly small animal mixed practice (like 70% small animal, 10% each of exotics, equine, and food animal) and a good chance of applying for a nutrition residency in the future.

So...any general advice on what order to take things? I've heard a few things, like stay out of pathology in the summer if possible and small animal surgery has a LOT of on call, so getting that out of the way early may be good.
Start with the stuff you can use a brush up on for boards. So if you are more small animal oriented, I would advise taking the large animal first. Then Surgery is one to get out of the way as soon as possible...

Members don't see this ad :)
Spring is foaling and horse breeding season. Depending on your hospital's case load, this can make a huge difference in how busy you are on the equine and therio services.

Well, I was about midway through the lottery in my class, so I didn't get quite what I wanted. Here's the schedule starting fall of next year:

October-December: Pathology
December-April: Free blocks (for electives, preceptorships, externships, etc)
April-June: Food Animal Medicine & Surgery
June-July: Anesthesiology/Radiology
July-August: Small Animal Surgery
August-October: Equine Medicine & Surgery
October-December: Free block (elective and study for NAVLE boards!!!)
December-January: Small Animal Medicine
January-March: Therio, Ophthalmology, Oncology
March-May: Free block (any last elective, job interviews, and study again for NAVLE if I don't pass for some reason! :oops:)

For electives that go beyond the requirements, I'm leaning toward Food Animal Medicine, Small Animal Medicine, Small Animal Surgery, and maybe either Therio or Oncology II. Anyone else feel free to post your schedules! :)

Blocks (VMRCVM is a tracking school so my fourth year schedule is much different than some of my other classmates like Small Animal trackers or Equine Trackers - I am a "Public/Corporate" i.e. research, lab animal med, production med, etc).

There are core blocks that everyone has to take (like Small Animal Med/Surg, Large Animal CS, Rad, Anes), and then more required blocks depending on your track. The rest are electives, some offered via school but most you have to go out and get yourself. Very excited for AFIP!

1 Armed Forces Institute of Pathology in D.C I (a little "mini-externship" had to go and get that one myself, but they are all very nice there! I highly recommend it)
2 Small Animal Med/Community Practice
3-5 Research - Immunology/Self-Initiated
6 Small Animal Surgery
7 Armed Forces Institute of Pathology in D.C. II
8 LA Field Services/Production Management Medicine (more food animal oriented)
9 Necropsy, Bacteriology, Parasitology/Laboratory Services
10 Vacation!!!
11 USDA/ARS in Beltsville MD or FSIS in D.C.
12 Radiology
13 Anesthesiology
14 Clinical Pathology
15 Bovine Field Service (very excited for this one!!!! it is right at the end of calving season!!!! ahh!!)
16 Advanced Histopathology
17 Large Animal Clinical Services (basically Equine Med...the vast majority is horses, some alpacas, bovines, small ruminants too)

Last edited:
WhtsThFrequency, that looks like the most delicious schedule ever. Makes me wish I had waited to see if I got off the waitlist @ VMRCVM! On the other hand, it's December 9 and it was 75 degrees here today..

wait a sec... you are a sophomore and you are starting clinics? you are done with lecture classes?

wait a sec... you are a sophomore and you are starting clinics? you are done with lecture classes?

I think Missouri does 2 years of clinics, so they go ahead and schedule you a year in advance. I know they schedule a year in advance here, but we only do a little over a year in clinics.

On the other hand, it's December 9 and it was 75 degrees here today..

Thbbbpptth! it's rainy and chilly here :laugh: plus I'm om emergency duty and have a Cytology final exam tomorrow! *wants to steal Florida sun* That's the one downside of Blacksburg weather - you never have ANY idea what it's actually going to do here. Weather reports? Hah! I fart in their general direction...(can you tell I'm tired silly from final exam stress??)

I think Missouri does 2 years of clinics, so they go ahead and schedule you a year in advance. I know they schedule a year in advance here, but we only do a little over a year in clinics.

Bingo.

And electrophile...I know you're jealous of my pathology during June-July! :laugh:

Bingo.

And electrophile...I know you're jealous of my pathology during June-July! :laugh:

Yum, yum! I'll remember to steer clear of you in the hall. Well, look on the bright side, at least you won't be all by yourself on the necropsy floor by yourself helping Dr. Johnson sharpen knives and cut up her own dead pets. She's hilarious (and she can be very helpful), but she's a little frightening, not gonna lie! :D

Last edited:
Yum, yum! I'll remember to steer clear of you in the hall. Well, look on the bright side, at least you won't be all by yourself on the necropsy floor by yourself helping Dr. Johnson sharpen knives and cut up her own dead pets. She's hilarious (and she can be very helpful), but she's a little frightening, not gonna lie! :D

It won't be hard to avoid me as you'll smell me from a mile away! and Dr. Johnson is cool, and her jokes about peeking in through the foggy bathroom glass are hilarious!

bwahaha...yes, tis! ;)

Hehe. What fun! I've actually wondered before after reading some of your posts - a 3rd year at VMRCVM interested in path. FYI there's bags of chocolate for each of us in the lab. I ate half mine last night studying for this morning's exam! Good luck on neuro!