Thoughts on Columbia and Cornell?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hrq

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

So I finished my Cornell Secondary, primarily because the school rocks, has international education opportunities (check these out!), and is located in a nice area of NYC.

I'm wondering whether I should fill out the Columbia Secondary though. I hear that Columbia has an ultra-competitive learning environment. Is this true? Also, I hear that Columbia is much further from the fun parts of NYC. I don't know New York so well, but I would love to hear all of your thoughts on this. Any Columbia students out there? Do you all love your school, or are you just waiting to get the hell out?

I guess, I don't really know why I would want to apply to Columbia given the ultra-competitive reputation it has. I know it doesn't hurt to apply, but I need to have some reasoning so that I can feel good about putting the effort in.

If anyone can comment on the shared teaching hospital thing, that would be very helpful also. Is there any Cornell/Columbia rivalry going on in the rotations?

Thanks!

-hq

Members don't see this ad.

you might want to do a search as this topic has been done before....unfortunately there is a little bit of immature sniping that goes on between the two schools, but i'll try to give a fair, quick and dirty point of view.......

there are gunners and hyper intense students everywhere especially at "top schools", columbia is probably not an exception to any rule i'd imagine. i wouldnt buy into the hype of "non competitive" versus "competitive" schools, cause I feel in reality it is mostly bs. the schools have different curricula which affects how you learn the material to a degree, but as you probably realize in college the competitve attitude of some students sure as hell doesnt start in med school.

cornell is in a more "happening" neighborhood, but for the record washington heights isnt as bad as people make it out to be. not as many bars and stuff in walking distance, but the area overall is cheaper than the upper east side and makes living off campus a slightly more realistic option. first year housing in olin hall at cornell is a better setup than bard hall, but i'd take the towers at columbia over lasdon (2nd-4th year housing) probably. also columbia med is a few subway stops from the main campus with all the amenities of the full university, our parent school is in upstate NY.

I dont believe cornell and columbia students really run into each other much during rotations, and the New York Hospital/Presbyterian colloboration seems to have been done primarily to boost revenue and climb up the hospital rankings.....i believe with the merger we have the option of doing some electives at columbia, but for core rotations columbia students use primarily their main teaching sites in harlem, and we use the NY hospital on the east side, NYP queens, lincoln (bronx), st barnabas (bronx)

both schools have sooooo much to offer and i was honored to have the opportunity to check them out....sometimes ya gotta f what ya heard and go see for yourself :D

They're both in New York right? So that's enough reason to steer clear of them! Unless you want to move to New York. Seriously, they're both fine schools, if you like them both apply to them both, if you like one more, apply to that one. It's not like deciding you like one better is going to give you an automatic admission to the school. So just be more honest with yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by hrq
I'm wondering whether I should fill out the Columbia Secondary though. I hear that Columbia has an ultra-competitive learning environment. Is this true? Also, I hear that Columbia is much further from the fun parts of NYC. I don't know New York so well, but I would love to hear all of your thoughts on this. Any Columbia students out there? Do you all love your school, or are you just waiting to get the hell out?

I guess, I don't really know why I would want to apply to Columbia given the ultra-competitive reputation it has. I know it doesn't hurt to apply, but I need to have some reasoning so that I can feel good about putting the effort in.

I'm a first year at Columbia, so I think I can answer some of these questions...

First off, the ultra-competitive thing is patently untrue. But this depends on what you mean. There's no competition between classmates, because the first year is only pass/fail. I haven't heard any second years "stepping it up" or anything to get honors, so I can only guess that the first year breeds some comraderie. Just last week, we had an assignment due and a big group just randomly convened to work together and help each other with questions. So no, I don't see it as being competitive at all in that sense.

Here's a caveat, though: People in my class tend to work really really hard. And sometimes that gunner mentality shows up in small groups. However, that's not a big deal. The whole class isn't like that, and I think you can probably expect that at most medical schools you'll have a certain percentage of students who are like that.

The main point is this: don't ever judge a school based on whether or not its supposedly competitive. You can be happy anywhere, really. Your happiness in your personal and academic life depends on you. Classes vary from year to year on how "hardcore" its members are (the second years say that we work a lot harder than they did), but in the end that's not really what matters in terms of your medical education. You can't go wrong with either Columbia or Cornell, quite honestly.

In terms of location, I find Washington Heights to be very quaint. There's lots of culture here and its very family oriented. To that end, there's not too much to do for the young person. However, going downtown is just a quick jaunt downtown on the A, which runs express. It only takes about 20 minutes for me to get down to Times Square from here. And, it's not like you're going to be going out all the time. Well, even if you do, there are some bars around here as well.

So, whether or not you apply is up to you. But ditch the emphasis on competitveness. I think that in the end, it's pretty irrelevant. If I were you, I'd do some looking into the things that you're interested in. Both Cornell and Columbia have lots of resources. See which one that you feel like you'd like to be a part of when you get to medical school. Look around Columbia's site to get a good feel of the amount of opportunities and decide from there.

Despite my inital misgivings about Columbia (like you, I leaned towards Cornell, too), I really love it here. I think it's a great school. But so is Cornell. So just decide which one is best for you. But I think it's worth it to check Columbia out.

vigils: Why the NYC hate? :)

edit: One more thing about the learning environment: The professors here are awesome, as well. They are really focused on helping you learn and will do whatever they can to make sure that you understand. So, to the contrary of what you said, Columbia is an extremely supportive environment. People send out notes to the class listserve to help people learn, we form study groups....it's a very nice place to be. Also, the Student Success Network runs workshops for the first year class, to make sure they can pass their exams. It's really not competitive at all. Unless you get intimidated by classmates you sometimes seem to be constantly prepared for lecture/lab. Which some people in my class (myself included) were....at first. But after a week or two, you get into your groove and don't really worry about what they're doing, because you're just trying to do your best.

I apologize for this excessive length. I know this is probably way more info than you wanted, but I hope it's helpful!

grass is always greener... i should have gone to columbia :(

I was leaning Cornell as well prior to interviewing. I had worked there over a summer and really enjoyed the area, but when I went there to interview and then to Columbia I completely switched my preference. First, don't make any pre-emptive decisions about schools, because at this point you really don't know much. Second, Columbia is NOT competetive. First year is P/F. I have spoken to friends at a number of schools including Cornell and everyhone seems to have more work and not as much fun as us at P&S. The area isn't the best in NYC, but its not the worst either. It is safe, plenty of places to eat, culture etc., and downtown isn't far away. In conclusion, apply to Columbia and see if its for you.

P&S 2007

lol - you read my mind. i just sent out an email to some folks asking if a person (not me :oops: ) can fail M2C by not going to small group.

Originally posted by DarkChild
lol - you read my mind. i just sent out an email to some folks asking if a person (not me :oops: ) can fail M2C by not going to small group.
dude, small group means exactly d1ck gradewise!!!!!! we get graded for molecules to cells in lecture (40 percent), pbl (30 percent), journal club (10 percent), the triple jump (10 percent) and histo lab, (10 percent) but small group is meant to supplement the lectures and doesnt officially factor into your grade.... i seriously doubt our last sgc guy even knew all our names. the only thing is issues covered in small group discussion are fair game for the tests, but you can usually reason that out on your own or filch answers later. I rocked the first 3 biochem quizzes while putting in no serious effort in small group....and i dont see myself getting more into with gardner either :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

i think the artifact of cornell first years working harder than columbia is partly due to the fact some of us havent figured out where to pull back in yet :laugh:

Columbia and Cornell peeps, I have questions for both of you:

1) Cornell people: I submitted my secondary at the end of July, and I haven't heard from Cornell yet.... are the interview offers there rolling (even though the school is pretty much non-rolling) or will they look at my app again at another time once they get through the superstars?

2) Columbia people: for first years that enter who are married (I will be next summer), are we guaranteed housing or is housing only for non-married first years? And if married couples are guaranteed housing, what is it like? I'm sure I can find this stuff out at the interview, but I'm just curious.

Thanks!

Damn you all! I was actually looking for an excuse to get out of the Columbia app. These secondary applications are getting to be tiring. Oh well, I guess it's back to essay writing for me... :)

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

-hq

Originally posted by Lux Aeterna

1) Cornell people: I submitted my secondary at the end of July, and I haven't heard from Cornell yet.... are the interview offers there rolling (even though the school is pretty much non-rolling) or will they look at my app again at another time once they get through the superstars?
hey, we just had our first day of interviews today, so its very early in the game..its till possible to get a later interview :)

Originally posted by Lux Aeterna

2) Columbia people: for first years that enter who are married (I will be next summer), are we guaranteed housing or is housing only for non-married first years? And if married couples are guaranteed housing, what is it like? I'm sure I can find this stuff out at the interview, but I'm just curious.

Thanks!

lol, that's so funny, those two are exactly my questions. i know columbia has married housing and i was told it was guarenteed, but i'm not too sure about it. can anyone confirm/refute this?

Married students are guaranteed housing where the 2nd-4th years live in suites. I didn't get to see them, but I hear they're a lot nicer compared to the dorm-style rooms of Bard.