thoughts on digital x-rays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScottW3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are people's thoughts on this technology? Better than regular film? Clarity?

Members don't see this ad.

ScottW3 said:
What are people's thoughts on this technology? Better than regular film? Clarity?

Well having used digital X-ray in dental hygiene, I can say that there are +'s and -'s to both regular & digital techniques. The quality of regular high speed EE film can be good but requires exposing the patient to slightly more radiation that than required to activate the digital technology. Also there is the issues of the sensor's being bulky with some of the new tech.

Overall I think digital is better. Here is why: You can adjust the contrast of the image therefore making carious lesions or bone density stand out to show the patient. Also, there are less developing problems and believe me, your developer will ruin and eat many of your good films using the old fashion way. Using the digital technology you see the image pronto, so in a way saves you quite a few hassles. Less radiation is needed to get an image. The down side is of course protecting images from being altered in an unethical way, patient confidentiallity, cost equipment, and loss of data via computer crash.

But overall, dentist/hygienist's can be taught to detect just as well using digital as using regular film.

Another downside is when referring to a dds that does not use digital. They only get a print out that is not a good substitute.

Members don't see this ad :)
DcS said:
Another downside is when referring to a dds that does not use digital. They only get a print out that is not a good substitute.

Yes, definelty! This is another problem, the software isn't universal to view them in either.

Darksunshine said:
Yes, definelty! This is another problem, the software isn't universal to view them in either.
I'm no expert, but I'd expect the ability to export as a JPEG or TIFF or some other universal image format, so that you don't need proprietary software to view the "films."

aphistis said:
I'm no expert, but I'd expect the ability to export as a JPEG or TIFF or some other universal image format, so that you don't need proprietary software to view the "films."

That is true, the images can be emailed. However, one of the advantages of digital radiographs is the ability to alter the lightness/darkness, magnify areas, etc...all of which are not possible on an emailed jpeg.

Issue two that it brings up is the legality of emailing unencrypted patient information (radiographs) through normal email. I'm not positive but have to think that is not condoned by HIPAA.

DcS said:
That is true, the images can be emailed. However, one of the advantages of digital radiographs is the ability to alter the lightness/darkness, magnify areas, etc...all of which are not possible on an emailed jpeg.

Issue two that it brings up is the legality of emailing unencrypted patient information (radiographs) through normal email. I'm not positive but have to think that is not condoned by HIPAA.
You're right, there is some loss of the information you're describing in a JPEG. In a TIFF or other non-compressed image, though, you wouldn't have that issue. The limiting factor would be the capabilities of the image viewer you're using. Also, throwing out the JPEG option for good for a moment, any decent TIFF is going to be way too big to conveniently email, so burning to a CD and mailing would probably be the best option, which seems to have pretty equal risks with couriering analog film copies. I suppose you can probably work with either as needed; like so much else in dentistry, it's mostly a matter of personal taste. ;)

You would be suprised how many dental offices still do not use computer's in the operatories. So most likely Dr. A will send digital film to Dr. B who is still only using a computer for his laptop. I have seen the high tech office's and the low tech. There are still many people that haven't upgrade their office, and still only use the computer for billing. Yes, times are a changing, but having tempted and worked in the field for the last 6 years, they aren't changing THAT fast.

Another benefit I just thought about that I didn't mention before that is available only if you digital radiographs is the ability to use DST (subtraction technique) and TACT (slice of an image) diagnostic programs. You can't do this with traditional film.

DcS said:

Why can you not alter the image on an emailed jpeg? I do it all the time.

And you're right about HIPAA, although encryption is easy for both parties.

I have used digital radiography quite a bit and I love it. Especially in endo. As far as having problems sharing information, duplicate films are not always the best thing either. Sensors are getting smalle every year, we are now even looking at wireless sensors! Digital software does have problems sharing information.

A solution that I see is when you purchase your software look for a platform that imports and exports as many formats as possible, you still won't have 100% compatibility.

As far as worrying about other offices jumping on board with technology, don't. The ones who won't change are probably nearing retirement anyway. This isn't tomorrows technology it is here and it is here to stay, you can't wait to join in but you will soon be on the outside looking in.