Thoughts on Emory?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fooman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have two more interviews left. Yay! UPitt and Emory. I live in Pittsburgh so going to UPitt is not a problem for me. However, I'm running low on funds and considering cancelling my interview with Emory. I've been to Atlanta several times before so I know what the city is like.

Could someone shed some light as to what the program is like? Outpatient vs. Inpatient? Happy residents? Reputation? Pain fellowship? etc.

Finally, I've decided on ranking only 5 programs...is this enough?

Members don't see this ad.

Fooman said:

Probably wouldn't do this.

Unless you're very confident.

I've interviewed several reapplicants this year who didn't match last year because of short rank lists.

On average, applicants that match rank 8 programs while those who had to scramble ranked 6 programs. I wouldn't risk it, even if you feel you are a competitive applicant. Take out another loan if you have to, it's better than spending an extra year out of a job.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fooman said:
I have two more interviews left. Yay! UPitt and Emory. I live in Pittsburgh so going to UPitt is not a problem for me. However, I'm running low on funds and considering cancelling my interview with Emory. I've been to Atlanta several times before so I know what the city is like.

Could someone shed some light as to what the program is like? Outpatient vs. Inpatient? Happy residents? Reputation? Pain fellowship? etc.

I agree with the above - 5 is too few unless you know for sure that you will match at one of those 5 - there's been too many applicants who had to scramble or didn't match at all because they underestimated the competitiveness of the field AND misunderstood PDs enthusiasms - In the match there are too many unpredictable factors and politics.

In addition to the comments of everyone else, I think that Emory is a strong program, lpossibly one of the strongest in the Southeast (outside of TX). I know several Emory graduates currently in good pain fellowships that are very happy with their PM&R residency training and would consider going back to ATL.

Any other thoughts about Emory? How is the location? Main weaknesses?