Thoughts on having a dog in dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted925864

Sorry, I know this is asked a lot but I feel like my case is a little different.

I love dogs and always planned on waiting until 4th year or later to adopt, but I'm currently fostering and of course, fell in love with my foster dog. He's around 2-3 years old, house trained, extremely laid back, spends most of the time sleeping and is completely tired with 20 minute walks or playtime. I'm currently in a post-bac which is mostly online, so I have plenty of time right now. My current roommate is a friend/grad student who loves him and takes him on walks for fun, but I'm not sure what her future plans are. I'm also not sure how long covid will last; if social distancing and online classes are the new norm it is completely different than being gone all day. I've seen some predictions that we'll be managing this through 2022, but who knows.

Any thoughts? Has anyone successfully had a dog and felt like it was okay being alone during the day?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you aren't completely sure you'll be home with it a lot of the day it's not the best idea. Dogs need a lot of love and attention.

The only dog owners I know of in my class are living with someone who can take care and watch them when they're at school.
I'd say if the dog is trained well to be at home alone without making a mess or anything, it may be fine. But dogs are generally social creatures and need a good bit of attention. If you're adopting, maybe an employee could tell you if any of the dogs are good on their own for a while.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nobody in my DS class had a dog.

(A lot of the guys had girlfriends that they treated like dogs. The girlfriends were easier to get rid of, after graduation, too.)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Multiple people in my class have dogs, even when they started out. Most did not have people to care for them while they were gone either, so it is possible. One common thread I noticed is that they normally lived very close to school, or had transportation that didn't require limited parking spots(scooters, bikes etc). They would often have to go home over lunch break to let the dog out tho, so if you are willing sacrifice that free time, you can definitely make it happen.

I wouldn’t recommend it. There will be times your schedule won’t allow you to take care of your work and your dog. There will be times you need to practice late for practicals and competencies, but then you’ll have to stop to take the dog out.
Wait until 3rd year when your schedule is a bit more predictable.

Reactions: 1 user
Pets can get depressed if left alone for long hours daily.

Reactions: 2 users
I had a dog throughout dental school. Important to live close enough to school that you can go home over lunch to see him/her. I would usually study at home instead of the library whenever possible.

During D3&4 it's much easier but also totally doable during D1&2

Sorry, I know this is asked a lot but I feel like my case is a little different.

I love dogs and always planned on waiting until 4th year or later to adopt, but I'm currently fostering and of course, fell in love with my foster dog. He's around 2-3 years old, house trained, extremely laid back, spends most of the time sleeping and is completely tired with 20 minute walks or playtime. I'm currently in a post-bac which is mostly online, so I have plenty of time right now. My current roommate is a friend/grad student who loves him and takes him on walks for fun, but I'm not sure what her future plans are. I'm also not sure how long covid will last; if social distancing and online classes are the new norm it is completely different than being gone all day. I've seen some predictions that we'll be managing this through 2022, but who knows.

Any thoughts? Has anyone successfully had a dog and felt like it was okay being alone during the day?

You’re gonna be busy studying. I don’t think it’ll be fair for the dog..

Cat maybe a better option

Reactions: 2 users
Best decision I have ever made; however, I am living with my girlfriend so it is much more manageable. If you have a roommate who would love to help out, then it is definitely possible. My dog is small enough where we don't need to crate him during the day and we block him off in a little area with his food, water, and a pee-pad while she's at work and I'm at the dental school.

Live close to school so you can head home when possible to check on them, and it is definitely possible. Though having a dog is stressful, I find the benefits of having them to outweigh the negatives. They definitely help relieve lots of stress.

Reactions: 1 users
I have 2 dogs!!! If he is not too active, I do not see the reason why you cannot have dogs during dental school. It would be nice if you can live close to school and let him out on a walk during the day. When you come back just take him on 2-3 15 minute walks during your study breaks. Dogs will help you with your stress tremendously!!! <3

A lot of people in dental school have dogs...and families. Im guessing it depends where you go to school, if youre going to school in La or NY id assume having a pet is tough.

My dog is my best friend. I spend more time with my German Shepard, Chow, Rottweiler mix than my family lol. You won me over when you mentioned you adopted your dog. I also adopted my dog as he was a rescue dog. I am my dog's human now.

Based on your post .... you already know what you are going to do. You've already bonded with your dog. I agree that it will be tough, but odds are it will be tougher for the dog if he/she ends up back in the kennel especially during these times. Try and find someone who is willing to walk the dog a few times a week. Alot of these dog walkers do not charge alot.

It can be done.

bud.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
almost 50% of my class had a dog (including myself).

It’s not hard to be successful in dental school and have a dog. Best decision I ever made.