Thoughts on last minute LOR swap

Started by ckd816
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ckd816

Dick Vet c/o 2016
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello friends. 🙂

I desperately need your opinions. I'm starting to lose it a bit, mainly because I'm 99% positive one of my LOR people is flaking on me (an academic letter-- Physics 2 professor). I haven't heard back from him since late July. I am now faced with having to ask someone else with only 3 weeks left until the deadline, and I really don't know who I should ask. My other letters will be from the vet I currently work for and my PI who I've also taken 2 courses from. My options are as follows:

1. The physiology lab TA I assistant TA'd for in the spring. I also took the course I ATA'd for from him the semester before that, so he knows me as both a student and an assistant as well as on a personal level. I just don't know how much it is frowned upon to have a TA write a letter as he is only a PhD student and does not hold an advanced degree.

2. One of the equine vets I've shadowed briefly. I've only shadowed 35 hours between 2 equine vets actually since mid-June. I honestly don't feel like they would know me well enough personally though they do know a decent deal about my veterinary background.

3. An advisor. I went to a large university and did not always see the same person throughout college. This letter would most likely be super generic.

Any advice is appreciated, as usual. I'm so thankful to have such a helpful community especially in times of despair such as these! 😍
 
Definitely get in contact with your physics professor, and if necessary, go through the university. Maybe it's already done? (just trying to be positive 🙂 )

As far as the other options, the TA or AA would be your best options. 35 equine hours isn't a lot, it would be like working with someone for 5 days straight and being asked to give them a fire-or-keep type review.

I can't really say too much about the TA, since he only has a PhD (or is working towards it?) not sure how much of a high standing he would have with his letter. Hopefully another user would be able to provide more of a suggestion regarding this.

As far as your AA, they do tend to write a general LOR, especially if you are a larger university. Aside from your AA, did you also have a Pre-Professional advisor? it's like an advisor, but more specifically to pre-professional students (pre-vet, pre-med, ect.) I had both in undergrad, since I was taking my vet school pre-reqs but also majoring in bio. if you do not have a specified major, your pre-professional advisor would be a better option. If not, i'd talk to your AA and see what they would recommend.
 
I don't have much in the way of advice, only support, because I think I'm in the same spot. My second academic LOR writer hasn't contacted me in months, and hasn't responded to emails. I'm planning on asking another teacher tonight - he's technically a "lecturer," and I can honestly say I don't know what the hell his standing is in terms of phd, doctorate, whatever. But he was my TA for parasitology and liked me, even though the professor for that class was a nightmare, and is now teaching my endocrinology class.

Hey, it's better than no letter at all! *tears hair out*
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you are desperate for a potential 3rd letter I recommend you get one that will be the strongest in terms of content. Pick whomever is going to have the most (relevant) praise for you. And don't forget to think outside the veterinary box....

If need be it could be a non-academic former employer that you worked for.. or someone at a shelter you just cleaned the kennels at or petted the puppies.

Of course, it is always best to have an academic/veterinary reference, but in this case broaden your search. Remember, you want to make yourself look the best you can, better a letter saying you were a conscientous and caring dog walker than a letter saying that you are 200 out of 1300 in a class where the average grade was 3.2 and you have met all your requirements.

But if you are applying to a school with stricter requirements for who can be your letter writers then ignore my advice. (like Tufts, etc). Most schools give you some flexibility though. Check to be sure if you don't already know.
 
Last edited:
I know for at least a couple of the schools I was looking at, they said that a letter from a regular person would be held in no higher regard that a letter from an upstanding member of the community...

So I would go with the TA myself if I were you.

I just had to make a decision about my last LOR evaluator. I could have gotten a letter from a vet I have just spent about 100 hours with, but he didn't seem that enthusiastic about it, so I decided to ask my manager from my previous job I had worked at for 8 months. The manager only has a Bachelors degree, but I know that she knows me a lot better and is going to have a lot more to say and can say she has worked closely with my this past year.

So yeah, that's my two cents...
 
If you are desperate for a potential 3rd letter I recommend you get one that will be the strongest in terms of content. Pick whomever is going to have the most (relevant) praise for you. And don't forget to think outside the veterinary box....

If need be it could be a non-academic former employer that you worked for.. or someone at a shelter you just cleaned the kennels at or petted the puppies.

I agree with Startingover - I *think* a letter from someone that knows you personally would be much better than someone who had little interaction with you.

**note to self, network, network, network**😛
 
I just realized I never responded to this thread! I ended up asking the TA. He even seemed excited that I came back to ask him so I have a good feeling about it. Thanks for all of the advice! 🙂