thoughts on New Mexico vs MGH/BWH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Emergen-C

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here' s my dilemna... I am single. I loved New Mexico but practically everyone there is married with kids. MGH/BWH seems to lack ED autonomy but of course Boston is single-land. Thoughts on being happy in the ED vs out of the ED?

Members don't see this ad.

IMO small differences between programs work themselves out... maybe you can kind of force the autonomy you want out of the program when you are a confident and capable senior...

New Mexico vs Boston will never sort itself out

My opinion is that it might be a little easier to make life outside of the ED better because you have total control over that. It might be harder to change a philosophy of a program.

It doesn't matter if it's Detroit, or Hershey, PA. A person's social life is what they make of it.

If you loved NM's program, I think that says it all...

Members don't see this ad :)
My opinion is that it might be a little easier to make life outside of the ED better because you have total control over that. It might be harder to change a philosophy of a program.

It doesn't matter if it's Detroit, or Hershey, PA. A person's social life is what they make of it.

If you loved NM's program, I think that says it all...

Yeah maybe your right i dunno. I guess I shouldnt have said anything because I havent been to either program. Hell I havent even been to Boston or NM. I guess the issue is just how much more you like NM over MGH compared with how much more you like Boston over NM as cities and what is more important to you. I just know I wouldnt go to a city I wouldnt be happy at.

Sounds like a tough decision, good luck.

I flipped the coin for you. I can tell you the results was heads. (Now you just gotta decide which was heads and which was tails) :D

Having participated in the resident selection process at UNM (New Mexico) several years ago, I can assure you that there is no particular effort to select applicants that are married/with kids. If you don't choose UNM because you believe there are mostly married folks there, don't be surprised if you look back in a few months and see a class of interns that are all single... That particular aspect of the demographics is arbitrary. Or maybe not... perhaps the demographics are explained (in part) by the fact that it is easy to live in NM, the cost of living is great, residents can afford to buy houses within a few minutes of the hospital and the mountains, etc. That *may* prove to be more of a draw to people with spouses/kids. It was for me.

It's a great program with great people.

HighDesert