Thoughts on NMR/Organic Chem Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cinamin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if I could get some of your thoughts/opinions on this... I have zero research experience and will most likely be reapplying next year. As a post-bacc, I've been applying to research volunteer positions and even paid assistant positions (longshot). Long story short, I really want some research experience... I don't think I can go back to my 4 year college since I need to be an enrolled student, but I did take an Ochem class at a community college and the professor supervises students that do NMR research for a semester... I'm not sure what all it entails.. It's a CC so it's not super fancy, no presentations/publications, etc... but do you think I should try to do that next semester if I can't find anything else? I've been applying/searching for months now. THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

One school's interviewers told me that organic chemistry is not scientific research. They are narrow-minded people, even though they are in one of the top-notch school. I personally think it's a good start.

You need research + they are looking for researchers = why the hell not right? Go for it man. Have fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
One school's interviewers told me that organic chemistry is not scientific research. They are narrow-minded people, even though they are in one of the top-notch school. I personally think it's a good start.
What? :laugh: And I'm guessing you did organic chem research then?

Research is research. Thats all you need to know.

You need research + they are looking for researchers = why the hell not right? Go for it man. Have fun.

hehe, well when you put it that way! I will go for it since it looks like I won't have anything else (research-wise) going on unless by chance I get accepted for a competitive research volunteer position here. Thanks for the input everyone.

Whoever told you this is narrow-minded.

Yes, I did orgo research. And that was criticized harshly by my interviewers...:thumbdown:

Do the interviewers do research at all? It's like someone saying Phil Baran's or Stuart Schreiber's groups don't do real research. Many of the wonderful drugs used in medicine today come from organic chemistry research and synthesis. I would've challenged and enlightened these interviewers if I were in your seat.

Do the interviewers do research at all? It's like someone saying Phil Baran's or Stuart Schreiber's groups don't do real research. Many of the wonderful drugs used in medicine today come from organic chemistry research and synthesis. I would've challenged and enlightened these interviewers if I were in your seat.

They all did research in the biology field. Apparently, their research is answering the question of why and how things work. But orgo is just application of known science, which is not real science. I should've challenged them, but I just remained calm and nice instead..:cool:

They all did research in the biology field. Apparently, their research is answering the question of why and how things work. But orgo is just application of known science, which is not real science. I should've challenged them, but I just remained calm and nice instead..:cool:

WTF? I'm not a chem major or anything, but organic chemistry research is real research and real science. Were these people professors or medical students?

Do you know Linus Pauling? Have you read The Nature of the Chemical Bond? That was a tour de force treatise by Pauling which revolutionized chemical and biochemical science.

This is just painful!

Crudely speaking, sure, you have a point. But it's only by tackling the synthesis of molecules like Avrainvillamide (its dimerized product below) that we've gotten to the point where the synthesis of highly complex natural products just seems so passé. There is real strategy and ingenuity involved here, and they invented a number of new chemical transformations along the way (e.g., direct dehydrogenation of tryptophan derivatives).

Stephacidin%20B.jpg

Agreed. So much so that I wonder if that wasn't the true point of this line of questioning from the interviewers.