Thoughts on NYC CAP Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acd20

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I was wondering people's thoughts on NYC programs as I really want to end up in NYC for fellowship, but I'm not sure I got a great sense of the programs through virtual interviewing. I know NYU has made a lot of changes for work life balance and I did really like their interview day and PD. Also, I haven't seen anything on here about Northwell or Montefiore, which also seemed like great programs. Any help would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I definitely got the sense that NYU made many changes for the better in effort to reduce work burden on the fellows. Some of the changes they made include eliminating night float entirely and providing more social work support for the fellows. I believe the one month of elective time during the CAP1 year is also new. I got the sense that NYU is a place that will offer great training and will provide you with the opportunity to work with a very diverse patient population (with sites ranging from Bellevue to Tisch). Having said that, I still get the sense that NYU is one of the more rigorous training sites in the country (but I think NYC training in general tends to be more rigorous in general compared to other cities). One can argue that this rigorous training (w minimal scutwork) will help one to become a better child and adolescent psychiatrist.

I'm an alum of NYU's CAP Fellowship. It's a rigorous program that has undergone a lot of changes within the past year. I can't speak to other fellowship programs, but you'll work hard at NYU. The clinical training is and has always been second to none, though, and you'll rotate through an amazing number of sites (e.g. NYU Child Study Center, Bellevue Hospital, Rockland Psychiatric) and work with amazingly diverse patient populations in just two short years. The didactics are terrific, and I particularly enjoyed the supervision in the second year.

Good luck with your decision and welcome to the field!

Reactions: 2 users
can someone please comment on how NYP/Sinai/Monte are?