Thoughts on NYMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
?

I have been accepted to Tulane and would be happy there. I have an interview coming up quick at NYMC. I dont know if i should cancel or not though. Does anyone know of anything that they might do better than tulane? Im in FL and i would be DRIVING up if I went. I dunno i heard odd things about the school. Im sure its a fine place and that you can get a good education there but I know that many people regard it as a backup school and i dont want to be around people who are pissed off about where they are. I dont know....any input??

Members don't see this ad.

I just interviewed there. It think it would be worth your while to check it out. All of the students seam very happy. I think the negative sentament that you are sensing stems from the 1st year curriculum which is very diciplined.

i interviewed at both schools last year and definitely liked the feel at tulane a lot better. i was born and raised in a pretty laid back environment, and tulane felt waaaaay more laid back. if you are into having fun and being relaxed, it seems easier to do that at tulane. however, some people might like the feel at nymc better i guess. clinically, i think you'd get a better education at tulane. if you want to practice medicine in ny, it might be easier to make connections if you went to nymc. if you want to practice anywhere else, tulane has a better reputation.
if you have some concerns about going to tulane, you should go to the interview. if you think you'll be happy there, isay skip the nymc interview. i loved tulane and hated nymc, so i'm a bit biased i suppose :D. good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you been to any interviews other than Tulane? I think it's a really good idea to go to at least one other and actually see another med school. I was accepted at my first realistic choice months before I had interviews scheduled elsewhere, but I went to one other and would have gone to one more except it ended up being during midterms and rescheduling would have put it in late April. I did cancel the interview at my last choice school as soon as I got my acceptance, but I knew I didn't like that city.

I'm currently a first year at NYMC; I'll give you my opinion, such as it is, and you can do what you like with it.

Personally, I got a really good feeling from this school when I interviewed here, and I haven't been disappointed. I really like it here. The campus is gorgeous. It's out in the middle of nowhere, and you need a car (though I don't have one, and do get by), but you're also close enough to get into the NYC if you want to. Plus, you can live for years three and four in the city. I have lived in NYC for ten years and Boson for six, and frankly, I'm glad to be out of the urban jungle for a while, so I'm loving the separation.

My class is great. There are a lot of really cool people here, and in my limited experience, the environment is not cutthroat. But, it's early yet, so take that for what it's worth.

I have some excellent professors and some professors that I'm not thrilled with. The people in the administration (insofar as I've had to deal with them) are pretty cool, and seem to know what's up.

I have heard unequivocally, with absolutely no exceptions and no dissenting opinions, that this school gives you excellent preparation for the boards (step 1), and even the students (not just administrators whose job it is to sell the school) say that we are above the national average. It is unclear to me how much that holds true for step 2 and years three and four. It is year three that complaints about the school really begin, but for everything bad I've heard about the school for the clinical years, I've heard another student say the exact opposite, so the discontent may have something to do with the inherent subjectivity of clinical study. Also, a lot of the things don't sound as if they are specific to this school, but problems with clinical rotations in general.

First year, you're probably going to have to work very hard. I still have time to socialize and do other things, but everything is really intense. We don't have a pass/fail system, so if you care about getting high grades, you're gonna have to haul ass. But they let up on you a bit in second year.

In sum though, my outlook on being here is very positive. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Good luck with the rest of your interviews!:)

My two cents: The campus at NYMC is isolated in the middle of surburban, fairly asthetically pleasing nowhere and the students all live right there on campus, a stone's throw from class. It's very collegy/dormy (not nice dormy, just dormy) feeling, the school building like a high school inside and the administration is a bit provincial/conservative/religious. If that appeals to you-check it out. Maybe go anyway for the experience-- but if anything above will drive you insane, save the hassle and be happy with Tulane.

p.S. On the plus side, I should add that they have a very pleasant feeling, sunny aerated anatomy lab, and it is cool that some students can do their third and fourth years in NYC. And that some students do seem happy with the school. I guess the stranded and dorm-right-next to class part seem to be precisely what leads to the intensity andbonding (and cliqueness?) that seems to go on there.

that is not a pass/fail system. f/p/hp/h? you mean fail/pass/high pass/ honors? fail = F, pass = C, High pass = B, Honors = A. Pretty much the same thing wouldnt u say???