Thoughts on releasing low step 2ck?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ace1991

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. First time poster, long time lurker. I'm a US MS4 who scored 226 on Step 1 back in MS2. I just received my Step 2CK today, and I scored much lower than I expected (also 226). Should I hold off on releasing the step 2 since it's 15 points below average? Not sure if it matters, but I do have a red flag as well. I had to retake one of my MS2 block final exams which is noted on my Deans Letter. My MS3 grades have been around the average with a couple honors thrown in. Any advice? Would my chances at interviews be better one way or the other?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you have an option. Even if you submitted prior to 11AM this morning, everything is stamped as 9/15, and my understanding is that USMLE transcript is sent as of 9/15 as well (which would include your step 2 score). I could be wrong though. This is the first year ERAS is doing this, and I haven't seen an answer with legitimate source yet. Just rumors and speculations.

If you already applied to programs before the scores were released (I think before 12:00 midnight last night), then the only score that has currently been submitted is your STEP 1 score . You can see which scores programs received when you look under "Documents-->Additional Documents-->View USMLE Requests Status Report".

If you have already applied to programs, then you can opt to withhold your CK score for now (they'll see it eventually before they rank you). If you had not yet applied, then I think both of your scores will be transmitted automatically.

Members don't see this ad :)
All programs will want to see your Step 2 score before they finish their rank lists, so you should probably get that out of the way earlier than later.

That's not too terrible of a score, just make sure you've applied broadly (so tired of saying this...) and you'll be fine.

No program will rank you without a Step 2 score. It is not uncommon for a program to wait until you have your Step 2 score until they offer an invite.

No program will rank you without a Step 2 score. It is not uncommon for a program to wait until you have your Step 2 score until they offer an invite.

Got the vast majority of my invites before step 2 although a bunch of them did ask me what it was at the interview.

If you already applied to programs before the scores were released (I think before 12:00 midnight last night), then the only score that has currently been submitted is your STEP 1 score . You can see which scores programs received when you look under "Documents-->Additional Documents-->View USMLE Requests Status Report".

If you have already applied to programs, then you can opt to withhold your CK score for now (they'll see it eventually before they rank you). If you had not yet applied, then I think both of your scores will be transmitted automatically.

Fortunately, I did apply a few days ago so I do have the option of just providing my Step 1. I know everyone will see it eventually, but I feel that I interview well so I don't want to miss out on face-to-face time that my score may have kept me from getting otherwise. Of course I know there's a thousand things that go into selection, but I feel like this is the one thing that I can control at this point in the game. It's a strange feeling haha. Thanks for the advice.