Thoughts on school list. Thanks in advance!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted920649

Hi all. I just wanted some expert thoughts on my school list. I conducted some extensive research in selecting these schools.I wanted to select the strongest programs and look forward to specializing. Let me know if you would remove or add any schools or if I am missing out on any other schools.

My achievements:
I have a 3.96 GPA at an honors program and 25 AA; 27 TS DAT score. I work as a dental assistant. I conducted paid research at more than one department and presented posters at symposiums. I have 400+ dental shadowing hours. I went on a mission trip. I have over three volunteer tutor/mentor positions. I also shadowed physicians and volunteered at hospitals.

My list:
1) Harvard School of Dental Medicine(Ivy)

2) Columbia University (Ivy)

3) University of Pennsylvania (Ivy)

4) University of Michigan

5) University of North Carolina

6) University of Washington

7) Rutgers School of Dental Medicine

8) University of Maryland School of Dentistry

9) University of Connecticut

10) University of California, San Francisco

11) University of California, Los Angeles

12) Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry

13) University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine

14) University of Detroit Mercy

15) University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio School of Dentistry

16) University of Texas School of Dentistry at Houston

17) Texas A&M University College of Dentistry

18) Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine

19) The Ohio State University College of Dentistry

20) Marquette University

Members don't see this ad.

you are the strongest applicant ive seen on this page for this coming cycle tbh, i think you're applying to way to many schools with those stats. hell my stats are lower and im applying to prob less than 20

Reactions: 1 user
Choose your top 5 and have them fight to the death over you.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your application looks awesome - one thing I would be cautious of is putting that you shadowed physicians. Not because it’s bad to have shadowed physicians, just because it is kind of irrelevant to applying to Dental School.

Just my two cents.

You can probably cut down like 12-14 of these schools and be fine. You don't have to go to an ivy to specialize, obviously you're smart so you can probably specialize from anywhere.

Your application looks awesome - one thing I would be cautious of is putting that you shadowed physicians. Not because it’s bad to have shadowed physicians, just because it is kind of irrelevant to applying to Dental School.

Just my two cents.
I would disagree on this. Shadowing other healthcare professions shows that you explored options. It was brought up in my interviews a few times and I talked about how I explored physiotherapy, dentistry, and medicine (MD).

I would disagree on this. Shadowing other healthcare professions shows that you explored options. It was brought up in my interviews a few times and I talked about how I explored physiotherapy, dentistry, and medicine (MD).
He just has to be careful to not make dentistry seem as the second option

But aren't ivy students at an advantage to specialize. Since I have what it takes to get into an ivy institution, I might as well go for it and save the stress rather than if I tried to specialize at a non-ivy institution. Right?

More stressful would be the accrued interest of an expensive school. Choose the cheapest option that also is a school that you like and gives you a good chance of specializing. You can specialize from almost any school. There was a recent thread from what I think was a columbia graduate with a specialization through Harvard or vice versa (something like that) and his greatest regret was going to schools that were super expensive and if he could go back it would be to go to a cheaper school. Keep in mind that when you take out loans, interest on part of the loan is accruing the day that you take it out, not when you graduate. If you specialize you are talking about school for about 6-8 years which means by the time you pay off that 600-700k you borrowed you are actually paying back over ONE MILLION DOLLARS. let that sink in.

If you get accepted into an ivy league school that you really like and it also happens to be one of your cheapest options I say go for it but otherwise you might end up with regret later on in hindsight.

The prestige of ivy only lasts until you open up that loan repayment website after graduation and see how much you owe.

"If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room." - Me.

You will learn quickly that people on SDN hate the IVY league for whatever reason, usually, they blame cost. Which is a lot like saying a Ferrari isn't worth it, stick to a Corolla. Since both cars will get you from A to B comfortably, whats the difference? Personally, I use mine to pick up chicks and make gold digger videos on youtube ;) All jokes aside, the truth of the matter is, the IVY leagues are among the most competitive schools for a reason. If you do not see the value in them, then all power to you, you made the right choice going elsewhere and probably won't gain much attending one. That being said, go to a school that will enable you to grow as a person. An IVY league school isn't for everyone and not everyone who gets admitted to one should attend.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’d remove all your non-ivies then, and add Princeton and Dartmouth. They have great placement into specialty programs
I have a grudge against Princeton's Dental Program, they didn't even offer me a scholarship. Those greedy a******s.

They’re so selective that i can’t even find them on the list of dental schools. It’s unfair honestly
There is only a handful of spots in their program and you don't use the AADSAS or the TMDSAS, it's the Princeton Dental Application Service known as PDAS which is available only on IOS.

You guys have plenty of free time on your hands.

Reactions: 3 users
I remember hearing rumors about this service.. and I think I heard that they've changed the programming for the upcoming cycle. Don't you need to submit a blood test? I hear they only consider an applicant if they have AB-negative blood type and have a family tie to Andrew Carnegie.
Yes, that is what I heard. Connection to Andrew Carnegie or G.V Black. That's how I got my foot in the door.

I'd apply max 14. Keep the ivies if interested.
With your stats, take cost into considerations (as well as other factors) and you might find that a non-ivy will be a better fit.
Also, with your stats, I doubt you can't get into your specialty of choice unless you been cutting corners all your life as much as you can.

As someone who got into an ivy and want to specialize, I'm glad I picked another school based on cost (saving $80-100k over 4 years). However, the decision was extremely close.

First get into schools then you'll haves so much freedom deciding where exactly to go. Lastly, ivy doesn't carry the same weight as undergrad or other careers like business or law.

Sexy stats indeed! congrats on DAT

I'd apply max 14. Keep the ivies if interested.
With your stats, take cost into considerations (as well as other factors) and you might find that a non-ivy will be a better fit.
Also, with your stats, I doubt you can't get into your specialty of choice unless you been cutting corners all your life as much as you can.

As someone who got into an ivy and want to specialize, I'm glad I picked another school based on cost (saving $80-100k over 4 years). However, the decision was extremely close.

First get into schools then you'll haves so much freedom deciding where exactly to go. Lastly, ivy doesn't carry the same weight as undergrad or other careers like business or law.

Sexy stats indeed! congrats on DAT
Thanks a lot man. What schools would you omit from my list?

Thanks a lot man. What schools would you omit from my list?
Depends if you want something specific I guess.

I would personally (might be different from you) leave out UW,VCU, Maryland , OHSU, and maybe even Marquette. Also, the 3 Tx schools are like more luck than stats if OOS.

You guys do know that with his stats he could land a sizable scholarship from an ivy, making it the more affordable option, right?

You guys do know that with his stats he could land a sizable scholarship from an ivy, making it the more affordable option, right?
Both Columbia and HSDM are strictly need based as far as I know so I think you’re talking only about penn which I think their max is..35k maybe? More people will get 5k 10k
But yes with those stats you’ll get scholarships multiple places if interviews go well

He could also get a sizable scholarship from a state school. Case in point is one of my classmates turned down a Harvard acceptance because she got a great scholarship at her state school.

I'm a fan of applying to broad pool of different schools because then you have more options to work with.

Some may give more scholarships, others may have better opportunities for residencies, and others may have pros in other ways. Best to weigh their merits when you actually have a couple of acceptances in hand.

He could also get a sizable scholarship from a state school. Case in point is one of my classmates turned down a Harvard acceptance because she got a great scholarship at her state school.

I'm a fan of applying to broad pool of different schools because then you have more options to work with.

Some may give more scholarships, others may have better opportunities for residencies, and others may have pros in other ways. Best to weigh their merits when you actually have a couple of acceptances in hand.
I looked at a number of schools that offer merit based scholarships like marquette. Do you recommend any more that I should apply to. Thanks in advance.

Depends if you want something specific I guess.

I would personally (might be different from you) leave out UW,VCU, Maryland , OHSU, and maybe even Marquette. Also, the 3 Tx schools are like more luck than stats if OOS.
Can you tell me in your opinion, which I know varies from person to person, what you consider the strongest programs that I should leave or maybe add? Like maybe the top 7, so that i could prioritize them when i consider interviewing. I know for sure i am gonna interview at any ivy league, ucla, ucsf, and u of m. Thanks a lot in advance man.

I know for sure i am gonna interview at any ivy league, ucla, ucsf
A "for sure" doesn't exist in the top programs - your academics will only take you so far. Also, an interview does not equal an acceptance. But you do have good odds as long as you're sociable.

A "for sure" doesn't exist in the top programs - your academics will only take you so far. Also, an interview does not equal an acceptance. But you do have good odds as long as you're sociable.
What I meant is that IF I get a request, I will interview if that makes sense. I am actually modest my friend.

I say go for a Navy scholarship, and go to an Ivy institution for free with an easier path for specialization.