1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Thoughts on TBR 2011-2012?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by iamabsolute, Apr 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. iamabsolute

Pre-Medical
    To any pre-meds who have taken the recent MCAT (2015-Present) I was wondering what you think of the TBR 2011-2012 Bio/OC/GC/Physics books? I would also appreciate your feedback on my plan below.

I really want the new TBR but they are all sold out. Is the 2011-2012 version sufficient? I plan to supplement with EK 9th ed and Khan Academy to make sure I don't miss anything. I really like the amount of passages in TBR, but I don't know if they are all still relevant. I'm aiming for as high of a score as possible (520+ would be amazing). If 2011-2012 is fine, my plan is as follows:

Bio
    TBR core
    Supplement Bio with EK9, supplement Biochem with Kaplan
    For extra passages: EK1001 (2003) and TPR Science WB

Gen chem
    TBR core
    Supplement with EK9
    Passages: EK1001 (2003), TPR Science WB

O chem
    TBR core
    Supplement with EK9 + Kaplan (if needed)

Physics
    TBR core
    Supplement with EK9

P/S
    TPR + Khan Academy 300 page notes core
    Supplement with Kaplan (for social psych)
    Passages: NS content review

CARS
    EK9 core
    Passages: EK101 (2008), TPR hyperverbal, Testing Solutions

Other material
    Khan academy passages/notes/videos
    AK videos
    AAMC all materials
    Maybe TPR in class compendium (got it free)

FLs
    AAMC x3 + AAMC (old) x9
    TPR x3
    KAP x3
    TBR x2
    GS x10

Anything I should avoid/not use? If TBR 2011-2012 isn't sufficient what would be? Thanks in advance

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MCATKINGS

Moderator 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    The TBR lists the difference between the new and the old books here: Used BR Books (Price suggestions)

Also you can start with Psych/sociology and reviewing the content prior to using old TBR books if you plan to get the new ones.

4. PlsLetMeIn21

Pre-Medical
    So far, I have found TBR to be super helpful at getting me to be more methodical and systematic when solving questions. That is where they are most helpful. They teach you how to take the test.

I assume you are joking about them being sold out, because I ordered mine and got them five days later.

5. JBruinW

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Use Kaplan for biochem and bio it's much better than tbr. Tbr is really good for g and o chemistry and physics