Thoughts on this adversity topic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cognizqnt

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
DELETED.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
While I sympathize with your situation, I'm having some trouble with how you would address that second part of the prompt. What are your lessons learned, and how does this help you become more compassionate to your patients who are not like you? Not to let your visa expire? To study the ritual before someone else passes away in your family? You didn't describe an answer, which makes me think your topic is not going to work.

Reactions: 2 users
I think that, if you have no other adversity you can write about, I would focus on #2 (although briefly explaining the circumstances of #1 would be reasonable). #2 seems to be where you learned your lessons rather than from when you had to scramble for flight/visa inconveniences. It was an event where you had to do something that was uncomfortable for you. Whether that will be seen as fitting for adversity is tough to say, but you could spin it that way if you explain why it was truly adverse. When you describe what you learned, make sure you focus on the most relevant pieces. Sure, maybe composure during stress was something that happened, but make sure you have a theme and aren't listing off 10 things you learned of which could be seen as a stretch. It seems like cultural sensitivity and compassion are the central themes, but it's your experience. It would be easier to see the completed essay to give full thoughts.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still not sold on #2.

I tell people that adversity is a constant headwind that you always find yourself working against, especially if you are trying to shoot darts at a target (challenge). How you adjust to that headwind is what we want to know. Fortunately this was something that uniquely happened that made you uncomfortable (good for a different prompt), but it doesn't meet what I would look for in describing how you adjust to or overcome adversity.

Rituals are meaningful ceremonies with performance art (crude description). Tell me that this is something you have to practice over and over again for months to keep your job. Then maybe you have something.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I'm still not sold on #2.

I tell people that adversity is a constant headwind that you always find yourself working against, especially if you are trying to shoot darts at a target (challenge). How you adjust to that headwind is what we want to know. Fortunately this was something that uniquely happened that made you uncomfortable (good for a different prompt), but it doesn't meet what I would look for in describing how you adjust to or overcome adversity.

Rituals are meaningful ceremonies with performance art (crude description). Tell me that this is something you have to practice over and over again for months to keep your job. Then maybe you have something.
Thanks for the feedback - this makes sense.