Thoughts on UMKC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobBarker

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really liked this program. It is smaller, but I really liked the chair, faculty, and residents I met. Good performance on written boards. No moonlighting allowed, but that really doesn't bother me. Anybody have anything to add?

Members don't see this ad.

I actually liked it myself...very small program but seems like you get good experience and the chair/PD has been around the longest I think among the anesthesia programs plus its consisten 5 year accreditation is hard to beat!

My only cons are moving to KC...have no family there and everyone seems married or about to be married in the program...:soexcited:closes tonight!

So this has obviously been a while since anyone posted on this residency program, but I am currently finishing my residency here at UMKC.

And I have loved it.

Yes, we do have a three month research rotation, but bench research is good for you. We get a good published article out of it, and really it's a great rotation. We only take one call per month while on it, and on top of that, my hours typically were in at 8, out by noon every day. Freed me up for a lot of board review and personal study time, which is invaluable especially your CA2-3 years.

We only have 6 residents per class, but this allows us to have the best experience we can possibly have. There are no fellows out of choice, ensuring us the greatest experiences without competition. I reached my ACGME required numbers midway through my CA-2 year, allowing me to focus only on what I want to do to improve my education. Our ICU experience is second to none, and our residents go on to do whatever fellowship they would like to do. I will be headed to California for pain medicine next year, and the program director said that he has always been impressed by the residents he sees from my program. Talking with the applicants from big name programs on the interview trail only solidified the thought that my program provides excellent experiences...they were likewise impressed, to the point where one of them said he wished he would have come here rather than a program with an excellent national reputation.

And Kansas City is really an awesome city. Plenty of things to do here...obviously it's not New York, Chicago, or San Diego, but you're busy enough during residency that it's a moot point. KC is a major airline hub, so there are easy flights to anywhere if you want to spend a long post-Thursday call weekend somewhere else. I personally never have, because I have found inexpensive entertainment here in town that you can't find elsewhere anyway. I love being able to afford everything as well...KC is very inexpensive for a resident.

Basically, I would NEVER have changed my residency program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember interviewing there several years back. Jon Kozinn was a swell guy, I thought he was the program director... But it's not that way anymore on the website, wondered what's up with that?

I remember they stressed the perioperative surgical home concept but can't speak to this program with any accuracy as I spent less than 5 hours at the facility.

I remember interviewing there several years back. Jon Kozinn was a swell guy, I thought he was the program director... But it's not that way anymore on the website, wondered what's up with that?

I remember they stressed the perioperative surgical home concept but can't speak to this program with any accuracy as I spent less than 5 hours at the facility.

Perioperative surgical home is a stupid concept. We just need to protect our turf in the OR but apparently that's hard to do when people are apparently afraid of losing CRNAs even though their schools pump out thousands of grads a year. I mean with the way academics pays, is there even a cost savings to have 2 CRNAs and an anesthesiologist vs 2 anesthesiologists?

Reactions: 1 users