thoughts on UNC MSTP

Started by ropra
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ropra

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all, was curious if you guys had any thoughts on UNC's MST Program. Strength/weankess etc would be great.
 
ropra said:
Hey all, was curious if you guys had any thoughts on UNC's MST Program. Strength/weankess etc would be great.

The good:
- flexible research options (you don't have to choose your research department untill after the first 2 years, but I think this could stretch out the program length if a student wonders aimlessly for a while)
- Fun, smart fellow students.
- Fun city, especially during ACC B-ball
- Quality seminar series (when I interviewed, Michael Dubakey talked about his experience as a physician-scientist -- he invented the dacron aortic graft)

The not-so-good:
- Prices of homes around the school are inflated
- parking is horrible
 
One of the best out there. OK, I baised since I'm an alumnae of UNC and I did my thesis with one of the directors of the program.

Great group of talented yet unpretentious students/facilty. Good diversity in age/race, ect. Outstanding research options including collabos with Duke faculty.