Thoughts on Whether Becoming Class President Is Worth It If I Am Aiming For a Competitive Specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CuriousMDStudent

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title sums it up. I think I'd have a decent shot at becoming class president if I wanted it as I feel a good portion of my class likes me. However, do you think this is something I should aim for if I am aiming for a competitive specialty?

I have read many threads about this on here and I think the consensus is that it is not since that time is better dedicated to research and studying.

However, with STEP 1 becoming P/F for my class, becoming class president would allow me the opportunity to connect with school deans and people who will be writing my Dean's letter to residencies.

Anyways, do you think it is still worth it to become class president or nah?

I feel it's going to be a lot of work and I'll get a bunch of emails from classmates who will be complaining to me and it could potentially impact my education for the worse.

Members don't see this ad.

100% no. The only extracurricular worth pursuing at the high end of competitive specialties is research. The dean's letter is one of the least important things; at most it gets a glance, and it's only there to say you didn't screw up and also display your rank. All I can say is, thank God this isn't premed anymore.

Reactions: 7 users
Title sums it up. I think I'd have a decent shot at becoming class president if I wanted it as I feel a good portion of my class likes me. However, do you think this is something I should aim for if I am aiming for a competitive specialty?

I have read many threads about this on here and I think the consensus is that it is not since that time is better dedicated to research and studying.

However, with STEP 1 becoming P/F for my class, becoming class president would allow me the opportunity to connect with school deans and people who will be writing my Dean's letter to residencies.

Anyways, do you think it is still worth it to become class president or nah?

I feel it's going to be a lot of work and I'll get a bunch of emails from classmates who will be complaining to me and it could potentially impact my education for the worse.

not everything is about winning/getting/suceeding. if you want to be class president go for it. otherwise don't.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Same as above, if you want it, go for it. But don’t expect it to move the needle much for competitive specialties.

If you're at all hesitant then don't do it

Step 1 will be pass fail January 2022 at the earliest. I’m not a betting man, but if I was, I would expect that date to be pushed further down the line. Even if it goes PF, other step exams will be scored. As class president, do you really want to have to plan events, meet with admin about concerns, and spend hours in meetings? Personally, I would use that time to do research, network with mentors, and pursue volunteer work.

Reactions: 1 users
Do it if you want an immense amount of free catered food (at least this is how it was at my school for all SGA members).

Do it if you really want to do it. The CV stripe isn’t nearly as impressive as what you do with the position. Any idiot can get elected class president; what impresses is if you are able to do something meaningful with it. If you do something really cool, publish it and then it goes under research too.

Either way I think there are things worth learning from such a position - leadership skills, the inner workings of your school and hospital administration, etc. but it’s definitely not like pre Med where you’re just collecting CV stripes.

As a second-year and current class president, I'd say only do it if you want to look after the needs of your class. I have time for all of the concerns listed above, you need to be organized. The work is pulsatile, some weeks will be more involved than others, but overall it's not a huge time suck, and I like being involved with my class. Talk to another class president at your school before you run!

At this point even being president of the United States is a joke so I’m gonna say this isn’t too impressive

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
It's not going to make too much of an impact on the gatekeepers of residency. As others have pointed out, if you're going to get involved in something : research. Preferably in the field you're hoping to match into, but research. If you have the time and energy and WANT to be class president, then by all means. At most it may give you a slight edge among the other applicants if all other things being equal.

Pretty much everything before clinicals or research I honestly cared little about when I reviewed residency apps unless it was something special or spectacular. The flip side of the coin is, many first and second years still have that college mentality and join every club they can find to be an executive and list it on their CV I do get curious when I see an app WITHOUT any.

So I joined my med school council for ****s and giggles first year. I ran for some random position that nobody else wanted. I ended up bringing back the school talent show that had been gone for quite some time. It really wasn’t that hard and was basically only two days of work right around the show. But man, people always asked me about that during the interview trail. I wouldn’t do president because that seems like a lot of work but doing something out of the norm can definitely make for some interesting talking points.

Reactions: 5 users
I would do it at my school but I would try student government instead. The type of connections the school has pulled and the number of times I've seen the students highlighted can get annoying knowing that its just a PR tactic and the person really doesnt do a lot but everyone and their mother seems to like promoting these people. Call me jealous but it is true and I would do it...but it really is a popularity contest so take it for what it is. I love seeing ppl who make a difference when in high positions but most often ppl squander their opportunities only to benefit themselves for application purposes