Thoughts/Suggestions about this job offer !!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vemurafenib

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a heme onc fellow currently at a medium tier university program graduating June 2023. I am looking for a community based general heme-onc practice. I have interviewed at 5 places and following is the offer I am most interested in. I would love to hear suggestions or thoughts about this offer.

Located in Southeast. Medium sized city. Employed position (was a private practice in past) ; Now employed by a local medical group.
Base 475$ guaranteed for 18 months plus RVU based compensation after 4833 wRVUs at 119/RVU (RVU calculations based on MGMA)
Sign On bonus: 50K (Half paid upon signing the contract). Fellow Stipend of 1500 per month (starts the month of signing the contract).
4 days work week. 1 admin day. Average patient load: 15 per day.
Call: 1:5. Two hospitals to cover. Call is mostly light and not that busy. 2-5 consults over the weekend.
One of their partners is retiring at the end of 2023 so I will be inheriting some of his patients (not all).
Disease variety mainly bread and butter heme-onc. No acute leuks or bmt/cellular therapies. They refer these patients to nearest academic centers.
EPIC EMR. PTO 30 days. CME 3500/year.

The best thing I liked about the admin and physicians was their communication and ability to answer all of my questions clearly. I had a pre-interview phone meeting followed by the interview. Physicians and admin have maintained a post interview communication with me via emails and phone calls. I was able to negotiate most of my requests related to compensation.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
All looks pretty decent. I'd ask for 5 dedicated CME days and increase CME to 5k which is standard.
What is the midlevel support?

Members don't see this ad :)
That does seem pretty good overall. Hell, can I come join ya in 2 years?

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds great. Make sure you think you’ll like the people you’re going to be working with, more important than the perks. But sounds like a great offer.

Seems pretty good.

What are the current docs pulling in at the median? I suspect they're doing pretty well given that generous base but it's worth asking about.
Median around 575.

Well above 50th %ile. Seems like a good gig. I'd grab it and make hay while the sun shines.
Just to understand if I answered it correctly !! What do you actually mean by compensation at the median?

What's the MGMA 50th %ile for this year?
Varies regionally. But for mine it's ~$475K (I don't remember the precise number off the top of my head).

Also, when you say "this year", the most recently published MGMA data that I've seen are from 2020. I think the 2021 might be available now but not sure.

What is the median physician compensation at that group (for the last year)?
This is what I was told for this year’s compensation calculation. They used MGMA 2021 survey. Mean compensation 535,392 and wRVU 4833. wRVU rate 119.

This is what I was told for this year’s compensation calculation. They used MGMA 2021 survey. Mean compensation 535,392 and wRVU 4833. wRVU rate 119.
That's useful information, but not the question I suggested you ask. The question you should ask is "what is the median annual compensation for physicians working in the group for the last year?".

Reactions: 1 users
That's useful information, but not the question I suggested you ask. The question you should ask is "what is the median annual compensation for physicians working in the group for the last year?".
I asked the exact same question that you had mentioned from one of their physicians. So median annual compensation was 604K for last year. Their wRVU was 108 and it is increased to 119 this year.

I asked the exact same question that you had mentioned from one of their physicians. So median annual compensation was 604K for last year. Their wRVU was 108 and it is increased to 119 this year.
That's the number that really matters then. And I think it's a pretty good number, especially since you're likely to exceed your guarantee fairly quickly if you're picking up most of an established panel. Make sure that's part of the contract though, that if you exceed your guarantee, you get paid for it...it's not always in there (ours wasn't when we switched to a similar comp model, not out of malice, just out of laziness on the part of the lawyers...it's there now).